Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Patrick Hess <po...@pbone.biz> on 2004/01/19 22:24:39 UTC

HTML Editor for Woody

Hi,

I've spend the last 2 hours in integrating the HTMLArea (the free
customizable online editor, http://dynarch.com/htmlarea/) into my
project which worked pretty smooth compared with my tests yesterday with
midas from the Mozilla project (or even worse: the typo3 RTE editor...)

In my company we've integrated eWebEditPro from ektron which is quite
powerful but costs nearly $300 per year/10 users... :-((( I need
something free and HTMLArea seems to be a good replacement as it is
released under a BSD-style license and works under Internet Explorer 5.5
or better for Windows and Mozilla 1.3 or better (any platform).

As you can see (http://microbic.de/dav/htdocs/htmlarea/htmlarea2.gif)
integration in Woody was quite successful and I wonder if someone is
also looking for such thing. I prepared a small demo based on the
"registration" example
(http://microbic.de/dav/htdocs/htmlarea/htmlarea.gif) which can be
tested here: http://microbic.de/dav/htdocs/htmlarea/htmlarea2.zip

Don't expect to much as it is a proove of concept and change
<xsl:param name="htmlarea" select="'/pbone/htmlarea'"/> in
woody-field-styling.xsl to the right path inside your cocoon app.
Sample is available under http://youhost/yourapp/htmlarea/.

I still have one problem left:

In my current project
(http://microbic.de/dav/htdocs/htmlarea/htmlarea2.gif) I'm using the
woody binding for my article show in the screenshot. Basic problem is
(independent from the html editor) that using any XML markup is
converted to &lt;/&gt; so that my XML looks like this after saving:

    <Body>
	&lt;b&gt;hello world&lt;/b&gt;
    <Body>

when I would like to have:

    <Body>
	<b>hello world</b>
    <Body>

For the HTML editor this seems to be perfectly alright because editing
such a file (as 1st example) is ok! So might need to escape the tags
again when preparing the form after solving my current problem. Is there
a solution available?

Thanks for reading,
   Patrick

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 20.01.2004 13:27, Patrick Hess wrote:
> Marcin Okraszewski wrote:
>
>> But coming to character escaping. I'm not sure what you exactly do,
>> but I store the article in relational DB (HSQLDB) and use ESQL logic
>> sheet to take it out of there. And what I had to do, to was to use
>> <esql:get-xml/> instead of <esql:get-string/> (hopefully HTMLArea
>> produces XHMLT).
>

> Anyone with an idea how to do this when using Woody/binding?? Can I
> convert the XML/HTML somehow in my flow? It's nice to have a solution
> for DB access but storing data in filesystem is still needed for me as I
> want (optional) WebDAV to the data. I know exist offers a WebDAV access
> to the collections but I don't want to have a XMLDB as requirement but
> as optional repository (same with SQL: will be optional).

I guess you have to add a datatype XML and a corresponding convertor
(packages org.apache.cocoon.woody.datatype and below).

Joerg

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by Patrick Hess <pa...@ish.de>.

--
Patrick Hess

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 20.01.2004 14:23, Patrick Hess wrote:

>> is it possible to include a sample that use htmlarea in cocoon
>> distribution. Are they licence problems or not ?
>
> If someone can clarify if licensing is a problem or not I would work out
> a nice integration sample as my current one is only proof of concept
> style...
>
>  From the HTMLArea webpage:
>
> htmlArea License (based on BSD license)

BSD is ok.

Joerg

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by Patrick Hess <po...@pbone.biz>.
gounis@osmosis.gr wrote:

> is it possible to include a sample that use htmlarea in cocoon
> distribution. Are they licence problems or not ?

If someone can clarify if licensing is a problem or not I would work out
a nice integration sample as my current one is only proof of concept
style...

 From the HTMLArea webpage:

htmlArea License (based on BSD license)

Copyright (c) 2002-2003, interactivetools.com, inc.
All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
Neither the name of interactivetools.com, inc. nor the names of its
contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS
IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED
TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER
OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR
PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING
NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Patrick

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by go...@osmosis.gr.
is it possible to include a sample that use htmlarea in cocoon
distribution. Are they licence problems or not ?

--stavros

Re: Best practice - use db xmldb of or file system for simple xml (xhtml) documents

Posted by Marcin Okraszewski <ok...@o2.pl>.
>> To be honest if I had free XML DB that had supported XQuery 3 months
>> ago (eXist haven't even mentioned about it) I would definetely use XML
>> DB - for simplicity reasons :-)
>

> Well I think you might have just missed this feature since it was added
> on *November 22, 2003 (almost exactly 3 Months ago).

Well if I count correctly November 22 was almost exactly 2 months ago.
Any way - I needed it at middle of October. Now I'll probably
incorporate it in version 2.0 of my system :-)

Regards,
Marcin Okraszewski

Re: Best practice - use db xmldb of or file system for simple xml (xhtml) documents

Posted by Christofer Dutz <du...@c-ware.de>.
Marcin Okraszewski wrote:

>> i just copy from Marcin's mail
>>

>>> But coming to character escaping. I'm not sure what you exactly do,
>>> but I store the article in relational DB (HSQLDB) and use ESQL logic
>>> sheet to take it out of there. And what I had to do, to was to use
>>> <esql:get-xml/> instead of <esql:get-string/> (hopefully HTMLArea
>>> produces XHMLT).
>>>

>> so the question here is:
>> if i want to store xml (xhtml) document (or fragment) the best way is
>> to use a relational db system, xml db system or just the file system
>>
>> there is no need for xpath queries, just to get tha xml content or
>> same it back
>>
>> i think that for simplicity reasons filesystem win points, but i dont
>> know about performance issues..
>

> I did also wondered about this, but I didn't checked it yet. I'm also
> wondering what is better - to generate file from a plain xml or from
> xsp page. In the second you don't have to parse the file each time,
> but on the other hand you also don't have to keep so many objects loaded.
>
> To be honest if I had free XML DB that had supported XQuery 3 months
> ago (eXist haven't even mentioned about it) I would definetely use XML
> DB - for simplicity reasons :-)

Well I think you might have just missed this feature since it was added
on *November 22, 2003 (almost exactly 3 Months ago).

Chris
*

Posted by Marcin Okraszewski <ok...@o2.pl>.

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by Marcin Okraszewski <ok...@o2.pl>.

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by Patrick Hess <po...@pbone.biz>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> For the Lenya form editor we are using an XSLT
>
> src/webapp/lenya/xslt/authoring/edit/copy-mixed-content.xsl
>
 > [...]

Sounds good, I will have a look into lenya to get it working...

> btw, this week will be hackathon/sprint on Epoz at
>
> http://www.oscom.org/Conferences/Sprints/3.%20Z%FCrich%20January%202004/

Thanks for the hint -- got a positive first impression. I will try to
find some time to play with it.

Patrick

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Patrick Hess wrote:

>    <Body>
>     &lt;b&gt;hello world&lt;/b&gt;
>    <Body>
>
> when I would like to have:

>    <Body>
>     <b>hello world</b>
>    <Body>
>
> For the HTML editor this seems to be perfectly alright because editing
> such a file (as 1st example) is ok! So might need to escape the tags
> again when preparing the form after solving my current problem. Is
> there a solution available?

For the Lenya form editor we are using an XSLT

src/webapp/lenya/xslt/authoring/edit/copy-mixed-content.xsl

resp.

<xsl:template match="//*" mode="mixedcontent" priority="-1">
<xsl:variable name="prefix"><xsl:if
test="contains(name(),':')">:<xsl:value-of
select="substring-before(name(),':')"/></xsl:if></xsl:variable>

<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when test="node()">
<xsl:text>&lt;</xsl:text><xsl:value-of select="name()"/><xsl:if
test="namespace-uri()"><xsl:text> </xsl:text>xmlns<xsl:value-of
select="$prefix"/>="<xsl:value-of
select="namespace-uri()"/>"</xsl:if><xsl:apply-templates
select="@*[local-name()!='tagID']"
mode="mixedcontent"/><xsl:text>&gt;</xsl:text>
<xsl:apply-templates select="node()" mode="mixedcontent"/>
<xsl:text>&lt;/</xsl:text><xsl:value-of
select="name()"/><xsl:text>&gt;</xsl:text>
</xsl:when>

<xsl:otherwise>
<xsl:text>&lt;</xsl:text><xsl:value-of select="name()"/><xsl:if
test="namespace-uri()"><xsl:text> </xsl:text>xmlns<xsl:value-of
select="$prefix"/>="<xsl:value-of
select="namespace-uri()"/>"</xsl:if><xsl:apply-templates
select="@*[local-name()!='tagID']" mode="mixedcontent"/><xsl:text>
/&gt;</xsl:text>
</xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

btw, this week will be hackathon/sprint on Epoz at

http://www.oscom.org/Conferences/Sprints/3.%20Z%FCrich%20January%202004/

another Midas based editor. People might want to join it on IRC at

irc.freenode.org#oscom

HTH

Michi

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by Patrick Hess <po...@pbone.biz>.
Upayavira wrote:

> Have you looked at Linotype? It is in the Cocoon Linotype block, and has
> a client side Javascript editor built in. Stefano wrote it, and it has
> been suggested that this should be made into a Woody widget. If you were
> able to create a Woody widget of the Linotype editor, I'm sure you'd
> make lots of people happy, as it fits into bigger plans that exist for
> Cocoon (editor in front of repository, allowing a powerful content
> management framework...)

Yep, midas -- I was inspired by linotypo to add HTML editing to my woody
forms and played a bit with midas - also not bad but I don't like the
restriction to Mozilla. Most people out there still use IE... :(

I can't say if HTMLArea fits into Cocoon's licensing but I think it's
possible to integrate both...

Patrick

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Patrick Hess wrote:
> gounis@osmosis.gr wrote:
>
>> this javascript editor support IE or not yet ?
>> btw linotype sample does not work for a long time
>

> I've tested it on a fresh 2.1.3 yesterday and it worked for me. It
> supports (only) Mozilla because of using the midas editor
> (http://www.mozilla.org/editor/).

It worked (at least partially with IE) in the past and it has always
been the plan to support IE.  I have not looked into this in quite some
time and don't know mozilla editor well, but IIRC midas just creates an
implementation of the contenteditable="true" (or was it
designmode="on"...) and apart from implementation inconsistencies should
in theory work in both browsers.

Still, HTMLArea integration would probably be a popular feature as well.
  They fill different needs.

Geoff

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by Patrick Hess <po...@pbone.biz>.

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by Patrick Hess <po...@pbone.biz>.
gounis@osmosis.gr wrote:

> i'm not sure for that but if you try to convert html code to xhtml using
> html generator and Jtidy. in a work in progress example i post the html
> content from a text area to a pipeline and save it as .xml (xhtml) in
> filesystem without escaped characters. i'll publish this soon as part of
> othello sample in scratchpad
>
> btw your htmlarea idea to replace my plain textarea is very interesting

HTMLArea should behave like a normal textarea (and is in fact a textarea
when the browser does not support the HTMLArea) so this could be a
solution... I'll watch out for the othello sample :-)

Patrick

Re: HTML Editor for Woody

Posted by go...@osmosis.gr.