Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2013/01/13 23:04:11 UTC

[DISCUSS] new website

Hi,

Nice work.

Viewed on OSX with Safari

A few questions:
Why is download link in the menu bar orange?
Would it be good to indicate that menu links are either site links or off site links?
We're using US english should we be more international?
How is latest tweets on the home page updated?
Do we really want the font that small/thin/low contrast?

A couple of very minor issues:

Home page.
Apache feather is greyed out.
Remove period from "Utilize the tooling, workflow ..." none of the other screens have "." at the end of sentances.
Can the licensing, desktop application etc boxes be made the same height?
In latest news perhaps change read more buttons to smaller links?
In the latest news section the title are underlines and are links but this is inconsistent with other links in the site.
The title links in "Learn Flex" are different to the title links in the latest news section.
"About Us" , "Subscribe" etc look like link but aren't. I expected "Latest Releases" to be a link/links.

What is Flex?
Is the "find out more" button meant to do something?
Something a little odd going on with the left hand side margin and the bullets points at the bottom of the page.

Features
Like the layout but font seem a bit bit after the tiny fonts on the other pages.

The Team
Need more committers to fill out their details here. Should we just remove text and mug shot for anyone who's not entered their info?

Project History
Issue with bullets points and left side margin.
Need a little space above the news titles. Any reason titles are a different style to other pages ie not underlined?

Mailing List
Issue with bullets points and left side margin.

Getting Started
Missing heading.
Issue with number lists and bullets points and left side margin.

Getting Started Videos
Boxes touch each other vertically.

Download pages
Issue with number lists and bullets points and left side margin.

Previous versions
Need link to 4.8.0?
Wasn't expecting the installer to be on this page.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] new website

Posted by Rushme Nayak <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Wonderful work.

A couple of very minor suggestions:

1> "download" menu with regular menu bar color??.
2> All the "read more" buttons in one line. Same for "watch" and other
buttons??
3> Clicking on main menu like "documentation" "about flex" etc does not go
any where. should it go to the first item of that page??
4> On "documentation's getting started" four measure IDEs are said to work
with Apache Flex. Can we just add name of the IDEs.
5>  Features page looks more Apple oriented??
6> can we add frameworks available for Apache Flex??

--
Warm Regards,
*Rush-me*

Re: [DISCUSS] new website

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> I made it orange to highlight it.
Do we want to use the flex blue or green colour, orange says to me warning don't click on it :-) Not that I think it must be changed just my first impression.

> Highlighting the download menu in orange draws the eye there, and the
> big rotating banner draws people to it to find out what Flex is about.
Should the Flex 4.9 banner go somewhere (ie download page when you click on it?

>> We're using US english should we be more international?
>
> Should we?  Yes.  Can we?  That is a good question.
I wasn't thinking of making multiple locale versions of the site (yet), just an (open) question of what English we should use.

> On purpose.  At one time, it faded in when you moused over it, but I may
> have broken that.  I'll check it out.
Can we legally modify the Apache logo like that??

> Yup.  When I was putting this together, the archives were messed up.  Do
> you happen to know the direct link I can use?

http://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/flex/4.8.0-incubating/

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] new website

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Reply Inline:

Fixes will be on staging, and will be pushed to production once buildbot
finishes with them.

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Nice work.
>
> Viewed on OSX with Safari
>
> A few questions:
> Why is download link in the menu bar orange?

I made it orange to highlight it.  Based on some conversations I had with
some UX folks, we made the assumption that most people coming to the site
either want to download the latest build, or find out what the heck Flex
is.  Highlighting the download menu in orange draws the eye there, and the
big rotating banner draws people to it to find out what Flex is about.

> Would it be good to indicate that menu links are either site links or off
> site links?

Didn't think about that, but sure.  Should be pretty easy to do.

> We're using US english should we be more international?

Should we?  Yes.  Can we?  That is a good question.  The CMS that we have
to use through Apache is VERY limited.  You can't do shared or common
resources, you can't do replacement strings, and we are limited to
pre-compiled pages only.  We could make a complete copy of the site to
internationalize it, but we would then be keeping multiple copies of all
the text around.  US English was chosen because that is my native tongue.
 If anybody wants to contribute (in SVN) ways to make it a bit more
"standard" that would be great.

> How is latest tweets on the home page updated?

We are relying on the RSS feed Twitter provides and a JavaScript library
that they provide to bring them in and display them on the page.

> Do we really want the font that small/thin/low contrast?

All of the fonts and sizes are responsive, so users can increase or
decrease the size with no penalty to the experience.  I choose 1em for most
areas, and .9ems for the rest of the text.

> A couple of very minor issues:
>
> Home page.
> Apache feather is greyed out.

On purpose.  At one time, it faded in when you moused over it, but I may
have broken that.  I'll check it out.

> Remove period from "Utilize the tooling, workflow ..." none of the other
> screens have "." at the end of sentances.

Fixed.

> Can the licensing, desktop application etc boxes be made the same height?

Not easily.  It kinda bothers me too, but in order for them to be
responsive and look right everywhere (including font size changes), they
need to be floating...

> In latest news perhaps change read more buttons to smaller links?

De-emphasized them so they are regular links again.

> In the latest news section the title are underlines and are links but this
> is inconsistent with other links in the site.

That is primary because they are also headers.

> The title links in "Learn Flex" are different to the title links in the
> latest news section.

Yes.

> "About Us" , "Subscribe" etc look like link but aren't. I expected "Latest
> Releases" to be a link/links.

Forgot about those.  Fixed.

> What is Flex?
> Is the "find out more" button meant to do something?

Fixed.

> Something a little odd going on with the left hand side margin and the
> bullets points at the bottom of the page.

This came from the bootstrap stylesheet, and is consistent with the other
pages too.  Let me see what I can do to fix it.

> Features
> Like the layout but font seem a bit bit after the tiny fonts on the other
> pages.

Same font, just bigger.

> The Team
> Need more committers to fill out their details here. Should we just remove
> text and mug shot for anyone who's not entered their info?

I think we can keep the generic mug shots, but we may want to change the
profile.  I want to keep some text there so people know what to edit,
but....

> Project History
> Issue with bullets points and left side margin.

Style Sheet issue

> Need a little space above the news titles. Any reason titles are a
> different style to other pages ie not underlined?

I think that is because I used the default h4 tag from the CMS rather than
the custom one from the style sheet.  Should be fixed now.

> Mailing List
> Issue with bullets points and left side margin.
>
> Getting Started
> Missing heading.

Fixed.

> Issue with number lists and bullets points and left side margin.
>
> Getting Started Videos
> Boxes touch each other vertically.
>
> Download pages
> Issue with number lists and bullets points and left side margin.
>
> Previous versions
> Need link to 4.8.0?

Yup.  When I was putting this together, the archives were messed up.  Do
you happen to know the direct link I can use?

> Wasn't expecting the installer to be on this page.

I think Om put that on there.  I don't think it's bad, but the highlight
should be the old SDK versions, I think.

Re: [DISCUSS] new website

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, It's not working for me on Mac 10.7.5 in any of my three browsers.

Another thing: Shouldn't clicking on the Apache Flex logo bring you to the home page?

Re: [DISCUSS] new website

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Alex,

RE: [DISCUSS] new website

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
I missed it then, registered now :)

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

RE: [DISCUSS] new website

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] new website

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Fixed.

RE: [DISCUSS] new website

Re: [DISCUSS] new website

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Nick,

Please goto this page and tell me the header image is not washed out
compared to the original below.

http://flex.apache.org/v2/about-assets.html

I just fixed the asdoc logo and figured out, a lot of logos are
getting washed out because of jpg compression. Checkout the asdoc
logo, that is full color. I think the logo on the header needs to be
exported again from a source image.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Re: [DISCUSS] new website

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Nick,

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: [DISCUSS] new website

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.

Re: [DISCUSS] new website

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: [DISCUSS] new website

Posted by Nicholas Kwiatkowski <ni...@spoon.as>.
Reply Inline:

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Also checked on the OS browser and also Chrome  on Android and looks good.
>
> A couple of very minor issues:
> Apache logo and flex logo in landscape vs portrait mode looks a little odd.

Can you get an example?  Seems to look ok from the devices I've tried...

> Missing facebook and twitter links in header. (On purpose I assume?)

This is on purpose.  We also don't display the slideshow either.

> Issue with the menu in that you can select main sections eg "Development"
> but they don't take you anywhere. Sub menus work fine.

Because of the way we degrade, that will happen.  The fixes seemed more
clumsy than anything else (for example, putting the heading in each line
item).

Re: [DISCUSS] new website