Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Georg Kallidis <ge...@cedis.fu-berlin.de> on 2015/03/19 20:09:24 UTC

Concerning Releases / Settings

Hi list,

concerning upcoming releases of Turbine:

- Turbine parent release should be either done without voting or not - we still have not concluded IMO or have we? I think, it should be released this year to enable up-to-date releases (including current reference to Apache parent pom, ..).

- The next Turbine RC is waiting for Torque 4.1 (which is not yet released), right? It should have the scheduler removed or replaced. What are the other goals for this release or the release after this? May be, we should make a clear cut and explicitely support only Java 8? If we decide to do so, the same should be true for the Fulcrum components to be consistent. Should we do it by allowing 1.x releases (Java 5) and 2.x (Java 8)? And Http/2-support is coming (in browsers is and in Java 9)..

- Logging: Turbine Trunk had log4j as logging framework and has currently slf4j with default log4j, cft.http://www.slf4j.org/legacy.html. This should conform with Avalog default logging behaviour. May be logback would be even better instead of log4j (same for the Fulcrum components)? But log4j 2.x would be an alternative, too. I am happy with each one of them. Which way we should go?

Best regards, Georg

Antwort: Re: Concerning Releases / Settings

Posted by Georg Kallidis <ge...@cedis.fu-berlin.de>.
Hi Siegfried,

- lazy consensus would be nice at least for the parent releases ..

ok, Java 8 lamdas could not used then of course..

@logging: I find the reloading mechanism of logback quite useful...

Best regards, Georg

> concerning upcoming releases of Turbine:
>
> - Turbine parent release should be either done without voting or not - we still have not concluded IMO or have we? I think, it should be released this year to enable up-to-date releases (including current reference to Apache parent pom, ..).

As far as I&#8217;m concerned it would be at least a vote with lazy consensus :-)

> - The next Turbine RC is waiting for Torque 4.1 (which is not yet released), right? It should have the scheduler removed or replaced. What are the other goals for this release or the release after this? May be, we should make a clear cut and explicitely support only Java 8? If we decide to do so, the same should be true for the Fulcrum components to be consistent. Should we do it by allowing 1.x releases (Java 5) and 2.x (Java 8)? And Http/2-support is coming (in browsers is and in Java 9)..

-1 on explicitly supporting ONLY Java 8. Having said that

* we have to support JDK 8 but there is no need to add Java 8 only features
* I&#8217;m sure that some Turbine installation in the wild have not seen a JDK update for years :-)
* I have customer which are stuck to JDK 1.6/1.7 (mostly AS400)

> - Logging: Turbine Trunk had log4j as logging framework and has currently slf4j with default log4j, cft.http://www.slf4j.org/legacy.html. This should conform with Avalog default logging behaviour. May be logback would be even better instead of log4j (same for the Fulcrum components)? But log4j 2.x would be an alternative, too. I am happy with each one of them. Which way we should go?

The Avalon Framework depends slightly on Log4j

https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/avalon/framework/avalon-framework-impl/4.3.1/avalon-framework-impl-4.3.1.pom <https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/avalon/framework/avalon-framework-impl/4.3.1/avalon-framework-impl-4.3.1.pom>

and a couple of Fulcrum components are importing log4j as well - what would be the benefits?

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.com>.
Hi Georg,

please see my comments below

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

> On 19 Mar 2015, at 20:09, Georg Kallidis <ge...@cedis.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> Hi list,
>
> concerning upcoming releases of Turbine:
>
> - Turbine parent release should be either done without voting or not - we still have not concluded IMO or have we? I think, it should be released this year to enable up-to-date releases (including current reference to Apache parent pom, ..).

As far as I’m concerned it would be at least a vote with lazy consensus :-)

> - The next Turbine RC is waiting for Torque 4.1 (which is not yet released), right? It should have the scheduler removed or replaced. What are the other goals for this release or the release after this? May be, we should make a clear cut and explicitely support only Java 8? If we decide to do so, the same should be true for the Fulcrum components to be consistent. Should we do it by allowing 1.x releases (Java 5) and 2.x (Java 8)? And Http/2-support is coming (in browsers is and in Java 9)..

-1 on explicitly supporting ONLY Java 8. Having said that

* we have to support JDK 8 but there is no need to add Java 8 only features
* I’m sure that some Turbine installation in the wild have not seen a JDK update for years :-)

Re: Re: Concerning Releases / Settings

Posted by Georg Kallidis <gk...@cedis.fu-berlin.de>.
Hi Thomas,

commons-logging is used in many Turbine classes, but
- in conf/test commons-logging.properties has been removed, may be before
2008?
- Turbine initialization is done with log4j as default

To be consistent again I would suggest, that in pom.xml the test resource
should be replaced with the existing Log4j.properties.
Secondly the jcl dependency should be removed/excluded, as commons logging
calls are now delegated to jcl-over-slf4j.

I think, we should for now just reflect this consistently.

To support different logging frameworks (logback, log4j, other
frameworks), this should be done may be in a fulcrum-log component?

Best regards, Georg

Von:    Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>
An:     Turbine Developers List <de...@turbine.apache.org>
Datum:  22.03.2015 12:41

Hi Georg,

On 19.03.15 20:09, Georg Kallidis wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> concerning upcoming releases of Turbine:
>
> - Turbine parent release should be either done without voting or not -
we still have not concluded IMO or have we? I think, it should be released
this year to enable up-to-date releases (including current reference to
Apache parent pom, ..).

I thought I proposed a lazy consensus vote and nobody objected.

> - The next Turbine RC is waiting for Torque 4.1 (which is not yet
released), right? It should have the scheduler removed or replaced. What
are the other goals for this release or the release after this? May be, we
should make a clear cut and explicitely support only Java 8? If we decide
to do so, the same should be true for the Fulcrum components to be
consistent. Should we do it by allowing 1.x releases (Java 5) and 2.x
(Java 8)? And Http/2-support is coming (in browsers is and in Java 9)..

I started to do some work on the scheduler. It's supposed to use
fulcrum-quartz when it's ready but I face some backward compatibility
issues (ScheduledJob is a module)

> - Logging: Turbine Trunk had log4j as logging framework and has
currently slf4j with default log4j, cft.http://www.slf4j.org/legacy.html.
This should conform with Avalog default logging behaviour. May be logback
would be even better instead of log4j (same for the Fulcrum components)?
But log4j 2.x would be an alternative, too. I am happy with each one of
them. Which way we should go?

My view: As Fulcrum components are Avalon services by (current)
definition, they should use Avalon logging only. All components I
touched have been modified to use Avalon logging if at all possible and
unless some dependency pulls in log4j or similar.

Turbine is supposed to use commons-logging for the time being. I'm
completely aware that the manual initialization of log4j in the Turbine
class contradicts with this statement and my suggestion would be to get
rid of that special handling.

If logging in a certain environment were an issue, it would be no big
deal to create a simple logging stub on our own that can be attached to
different logging backends. Many frameworks do this.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: Antwort: Re: Concerning Releases / Settings

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.com>.
No wonder they call me “Senile Software Engineer” :-(

Sigi

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Hi Siegfried,

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.com>.
Hi Thomas,

I added the snapshot repo to my settings.xml and it worx - but where does the file actually live under SVN? I would assume that building whole Fulcrum would deploy the file into my local repo :-)

Thanks in advance

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.com>.
Hi Georg,

I just checked the trunk and I can’t compile

trunk> svn up
Updating '.':
At revision 1671257.
trunk> mvn clean install
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[ERROR] The build could not read 3 projects -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR]   The project org.apache.fulcrum:fulcrum-cache:1.1.1-SNAPSHOT (/Users/sgoeschl/work/asf/fulcrum/trunk/cache/pom.xml) has 1 error
[ERROR]     Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not find artifact org.apache.fulcrum:fulcrum-parent:pom:2-SNAPSHOT and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 19, column 11 -> [Help 2]
[ERROR]
[ERROR]   The project org.apache.fulcrum:fulcrum-configuration:1.0.3-SNAPSHOT (/Users/sgoeschl/work/asf/fulcrum/trunk/configuration/impl/pom.xml) has 1 error
[ERROR]     Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not find artifact org.apache.fulcrum:fulcrum-parent:pom:2-SNAPSHOT and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 22, column 11 -> [Help 2]
[ERROR]
[ERROR]   The project org.apache.fulcrum:fulcrum-crypto:1.0.8-SNAPSHOT (/Users/sgoeschl/work/asf/fulcrum/trunk/crypto/pom.xml) has 1 error
[ERROR]     Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not find artifact org.apache.fulcrum:fulcrum-parent:pom:2-SNAPSHOT and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 19, column 11 -> [Help 2]
[ERROR]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/ProjectBuildingException
[ERROR] [Help 2] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/UnresolvableModelException

It seems the fulcrum-parent.pom is missing in my setup ….

Thanks in advance

Siegfried Goeschl

Von:    Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.com>
An:     Turbine Developers List <de...@turbine.apache.org>
Datum:  23.03.2015 22:24

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.com>.
Hi folks,

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Hi Georg,

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
On 19.03.15 20:09, Georg Kallidis wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> concerning upcoming releases of Turbine:
>
> - Turbine parent release should be either done without voting or not - we still have not concluded IMO or have we? I think, it should be released this year to enable up-to-date releases (including current reference to Apache parent pom, ..).
>
> - The next Turbine RC is waiting for Torque 4.1 (which is not yet released), right? It should have the scheduler removed or replaced. What are the other goals for this release or the release after this? May be, we should make a clear cut and explicitely support only Java 8? If we decide to do so, the same should be true for the Fulcrum components to be consistent. Should we do it by allowing 1.x releases (Java 5) and 2.x (Java 8)? And Http/2-support is coming (in browsers is and in Java 9)..

I forgot: Turbine trunk is actually waiting for a release of
fulcrum-security (and fulcrum-intake which I'm currently decomposing)

Bye, Thomas.