Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Glenn Elliott <Gl...@emerging.com.au> on 2005/01/27 09:52:29 UTC

Spamassassin Reporting Qn

Guys,

Spamassassin sits on our DMZ mail server and cleans the spam nicely,
protecting our internal MS Exchange box.

I want to report spam which users receive on exchange... I can get them to
forward any spam to a mailbox on the spamassassin mail server and run
spamassassin -r to report on the mail.

My question is does spamassassin use the from address when learning as the
from will equate to the internal users email address and not the spammers...
I dont want to register my internal users as spammers!

Thanks for your time.

Glenn.

Re: Spamassassin Reporting Qn

Posted by Rainer Sokoll <R....@intershop.de>.
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 07:52:29PM +1100, Glenn Elliott wrote:

> My question is does spamassassin use the from address when learning as the
> from will equate to the internal users email address and not the spammers...
> I dont want to register my internal users as spammers!

IMHO, it does not make sense to scan mail from your internal users. Its
just wasting resources.
Here, in a similar setup like yours, I use spamass-milter to feed SA.
The milter can ignore mail from the internal network:
>From the startup script:

---8<---
su amavis -c "/usr/local/sbin/spamass-milter -i 10.0.0.0/8 -f -p \
/var/spamass/spamass-milter.sock"
---8<---

So, everything from 10/8 is ignored

Rainer