Posted to user@ode.apache.org by Aaron Anderson <aa...@apache.org> on 2019/02/01 03:52:30 UTC

Re: ODE, ODE 2.0, the Attic and the Incubator

 Thanks everyone for your positive feedback! Here are the milestone tasks I have been working towards to have a kernel of functionality to extend from:
1. Create a Maven build project that supports modular extensions -  done
2. Create a server process that starts and stops an embedded Ignite server and OpenWebBeans context - done
3. CLI interaction to run Ignite tasks - done

4. Configuration service including installing and uninstalling modules - currently working on this
5. Process life-cycle - building Ignite tasks and caches to manage process instances TBD

6.  Compiler - translate source into sequences of instructions (executable) - I have some code from a previous effort I intend to re-use TBD

7. Interpreter - load a executable and step through instructions, invoke instruction instance providing executable and Ignite context TBD
8. Add individual Tomcat and CXF modules for receiving and sending REST requests - TBD

After this bare minimum functionality is available I would like to accomplish the following:

1. Create a partial SCXML extension
2. Create a partial extensible BPMN 2.0 extension
Creating two different extensions should highlight shared service abstraction and extensiblity deficiencies.

To complete the prototype I would like to add assembly/composite deployment functionality for managing and dynamically deploying source and binary artifacts to the platform such as process definitions, static web content, Java libraries, etc. This would involve local file caching and classloader management with a limited child CDI context. Given the complexity of this work I plan on working on this towards the end of the prototype phase.
Based on my current progress and research of Ignite and OpenWebbeans I have a good idea of how to do the remaining work. Two aspects I still need to do more research on is what format the the executable and processes should be stored in within Ignite.

For the executable format I am leaning towards a namespace aware XML format, perhaps compressed. Mapping XML QNames to Java annotations using CDI is straight forward and would also make it easy to extend. For process instances I am looking into using the native Ignite binary format but I need to perform some more testing to see how layering extended data into it would work.
Please let me know if anyone has any questions or would like further clarification on the tasks outlined above. If it would be helpful I can check in all my latest code into my github repo or even create a branch in the new git repository so everyone can see what I have done so far.

Regards,
Aaron

    On Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 11:20:34 PM CST, Antoine Toulme <an...@toulme.name> wrote:

 Hey Aaron,

I have been a committer with little to no activity for a long time. That said, I think ODE is a unique project and has great potential - some of it unachieved.

You had a long laundry list of items you’d like to see happen.
Can you sort them in order of priority and decompose them enough others can pick them up with you?

Just like Paul - costs me nothing to keep it going, so +1 here too.

Cheers,

Antoine

Posted by Aaron Anderson <aa...@apache.org>.
 Hi Sathwik,
I have made progress on creating a new BPM prototype using Apache Ignite but I have not achieved as much as I would have liked to due to recent vacations, illness, and competing work demands. On a positive note I am using Apache Ignite on a project to migrate a large amount of user and configuration data from one Cloud based system to another which has given me more operational insight into Apache Ignite beyond what I discovered during my initial research. I have an implementation plan mapped out to complete the prototype I just need the time to complete it.
The latest updates to the prototype can be located at this github repo: https://github.com/aaronanderson/ODE-X

Regards,
Aaron

    On Monday, March 25, 2019, 2:12:06 AM CDT, Sathwik B P <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi Guys,

The PMC had voted successfully to retire the project and the same was
intimated to the board in the reporting period of Jan 2019.
In the wake of a new proposal on the table the board has delayed in
accepting our request and find if there is any chance of injecting new life
into the community.
Post the proposal dicussion on 1st Feb -2019, it has been silent so far.

I don't know what to make out of this.

What is the way forward? Board report is scheduled in the next couple of
weeks.

regards,
sathwik

Posted by Aaron Anderson <aa...@apache.org>.