Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tom Sayers <to...@squarezone.co.uk> on 2005/06/18 23:15:09 UTC

[users@httpd] This release is compatible with modules compiled for 2.0.42 and later versions.

Version 2.0.54 states "This release is compatible with modules compiled for 2.0.42 and later versions."
What steps do I need to take to upgrade to 2.0.54 if I have version 2.0.40 at present?

Sincerely

Tom Sayers

Re: [users@httpd] This release is compatible with modules compiled for 2.0.42 and later versions.

Posted by Tom Sayers <to...@squarezone.co.uk>.
Many thanks Joshua. I will probably have to wipe the redhat version because they don't appear to offer an upgrade to Apache unless I
switch to their 'Enterprise' version.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 6/19/05, Tom Sayers <to...@squarezone.co.uk> wrote:
> Maybe I am over-cautious but can you tell me what is incompatible in versions prior to 2.0.42? Is it just the Third Party modules
> issue? Is there anything else I need to consider because of the way Apache was installed by Red Hat?

There may be small incompatibilities in httpd.conf directives or
./configure options, but it is mostly the third-party module interface
that has changed.  But yes, you do need to worry about other things
when changing from a vendor supplied version to an apache.org-version.
 See below.

> Ideally Apache could have said on their 'Announcement' page "This release is compatible with modules compiled for 2.0.42 and later
> versions and this is what to do if you have an earlier version".

This is documented in the install docs.

But your problem is more related to Redhat than to apache-proper.  Are
you planning to follow the redhat upgrade path (using rpms)?  If so,
you really need to consult a redhat forum to see what to do, since we
(well, at least "I") don't know anything about the changes they have
made.

If you are moving from the Redhat packages to the ones from
httpd.apache.org, you still will have some issues.  As you noticed,
things are installed in completely different places.  So I recommend
one of two paths:
- Wipe your rpm-version of apache, and do a fresh install to /usr/local/apache2.
- Find the source-rpm (or, more likely multiple source-rpms) for your
installed apache, extract the compilation options, and use them with
the new version.

In other words, there is no easy upgrade path from an vendor-supplied
version of apache to the apache.org version.  There isn't anything we
can do about that because of the changes that vendors make.  So either
stick with vendor versions and use their upgrade, or wipe it clean and
start from scratch with an apache.org version.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] This release is compatible with modules compiled for 2.0.42 and later versions.

Posted by Tom Sayers <to...@squarezone.co.uk>.
Thanks Andre

I am not using third party modules, however, let me explain why I am concerned about simply installing the new version.

My server has Redhat 9 and Apache was not installed in /usr/local/apache/ but in /etc/httpd/ . There is no sign of files that are
often mentioned on installation tutorials, such as config.nice for example. Rather than ignore the compatibility notice on the
Apache web-site, I scanned the documentation (Yes Patrick, I have tried) and searched Google to make sure that nothing untoward
would happen. A couple of people posting on various forums were in the same situation and one did install the new version and
reported that Apache was not working at all then!

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Tom Sayers wrote:

> Version 2.0.54 states "This release is compatible with modules compiled
> for 2.0.42 and later versions." What steps do I need to take to upgrade
> to 2.0.54 if I have version 2.0.40 at present?

If you're not using third-party modules, you can just update to the current
version. If you *are* using TP-modules and have the source code, in the
best case you just need to recompile them. If this doesn't work (don't
compile with the new version) or you're using binary packages you need to
ask the vendor of the particular module to provide a version compatible
with 2.0.42 or later.

nd
--
>kann mir jemand sagen, was genau @-Domains sind?
Ein Mythos. Ein Werbetrick. Verarsche. Nenn es wie du willst...

                 -- Alexandra Buss und Björn Höhrmann in dciwam

Re: [users@httpd] This release is compatible with modules compiled for 2.0.42 and later versions.

Posted by Patrick Donker <li...@webpagina.nu>.
Tom Sayers wrote:

>Version 2.0.54 states "This release is compatible with modules compiled for 2.0.42 and later versions."
>What steps do I need to take to upgrade to 2.0.54 if I have version 2.0.40 at present?

ahmm.....read the docs?