Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chamnap Chhorn <ch...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/17 06:21:40 UTC

OutOfMemoryErrors

I got this error, anyone could explain and solve this?

SEVERE: Exception invoking periodic operation:
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:114)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.backgroundProcess(ContainerBase.java:1337)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1601)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1590)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
Aug 17, 2010 1:56:43 AM
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler process
SEVERE: Error reading request, ignored
Aug 17, 2010 2:00:45 AM
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler process
SEVERE: Error reading request, ignored
Aug 17, 2010 2:09:44 AM org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter service
SEVERE: An exception or error occurred in the container during the request
processing
Aug 17, 2010 2:10:32 AM
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler process
SEVERE: Error reading request, ignored
Aug 17, 2010 2:12:12 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor process
SEVERE: Error finishing response
Aug 17, 2010 2:15:16 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol init

--
Chhorn Chamnap
http://chamnapchhorn.blogspot.com/

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de>.
Which method do you use to index? If you are using SolrJ you can use the
streaming update server
it is a better option for the solr server, because the server does not
need to held it all in memory.

(if you are using the post.jar file there was bug which causes OOMs but
I didn't remember exactly ...)

then, when the solr server crashed, it cannot remove the lock file. if
you are sure there is only one indexing process you could specify remove
<indexDefaults>
   <lockType>native</lockType> <!-- or any other possible too ?? -->
   <unlockOnStartup>true</unlockOnStartup>
</indexDefaults>

see also:

 -> http://www.mail-archive.com/solr-user@lucene.apache.org/msg08049.html
 -> "Out Of Memory Errors" on
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceFactors

Regards,
Peter.

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by "Grijesh.singh" <pi...@gmail.com>.
ramBufferSize is preferred to be 128MB more than that it does not seemes to
improve performance

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by rajini maski <ra...@gmail.com>.
Yeah fine..I will do that...Before the merge Factor was 10 itself ...After
finding this error I just set its value higher assuming if that could be
error anyway... Will re change it..

The ramBufferSize  is 256MB... Do I need to  change this value to higher?

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by Jay Hill <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by rajini maski <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by rajini maski <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by rajini maski <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de>.

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by "Grijesh.singh" <pi...@gmail.com>.
U can add like this it will work I am using it

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms1024m -Xmx4096m "

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by Chamnap Chhorn <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by Chamnap Chhorn <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by "Grijesh.singh" <pi...@gmail.com>.

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by "Grijesh.singh" <pi...@gmail.com>.
U can set up in startup script of tomcat

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors

Posted by rajini maski <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hello There,
 Even I am facing same errors...
@Grijesh, Where exactly I need to make these changes of increasing JVM heap
space..I mean where i need to specify them... ?
I had made changes in tomcat config Java(JVM) initial memory pool and
maximum memory pool to 256-1024MB..Yet the error persists in same frequency
:(

Re: OutOfMemoryErrors