Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mufaddal Khumri <mu...@wmotion.com> on 2004/07/09 22:12:30 UTC

favicon question

I have a webapp deployed under tomcat + apache.

I have a taglib in which i have the following:

out.print("<link rel='shortcut icon'
href='/mywebapp/images/favicon.ico' type='image/x-icon'>");

The favicon.ico is a 16 * 16 icon file.

The favicon shows up in Safari on the Mac , but not on netscape, or IE
. On windows it does not show up in either IE or Netscape.

I have not put the favicon in the webservers root from where it can get
it by default. As you can see I have it in mywebapp/images folder.

Does anybody know why this does not work? Or do browsers dont have
support for this much ?

Regards.

Re: favicon question

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
:
: The favicon shows up in Safari on the Mac , but not on netscape, or IE
: . On windows it does not show up in either IE or Netscape.

1/ My understanding is that most browsers look for the URI /favicon.ico.
It (sort of) makes sense, since browsers don't distinguish between
different webapps: they just know, "I go to this host."

2/ Please post new messages to the list, instead of just replying to old
ones.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com

Re: favicon question

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
Mufaddal Khumri wrote:

> I have a webapp deployed under tomcat + apache.
>
> I have a taglib in which i have the following:
>
> out.print("<link rel='shortcut icon'
> href='/mywebapp/images/favicon.ico' type='image/x-icon'>");
>
> The favicon.ico is a 16 * 16 icon file.
>
> The favicon shows up in Safari on the Mac , but not on netscape, or IE
> . On windows it does not show up in either IE or Netscape.
>
> I have not put the favicon in the webservers root from where it can
> get it by default. As you can see I have it in mywebapp/images folder.
>
> Does anybody know why this does not work? Or do browsers dont have
> support for this much ?

Look into your logs, where is IE looking for "favicon.ico"?

Nix.