Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2010/01/06 19:08:21 UTC

Retry on ConnectTimeoutException

Hi,
I'm using http-client 4.0.1.
Is there any way to use HttpRequestRetryHandler to handle retry on
ConnectTimeoutException ? (I did it with http client 3 )

Olivier

Re: Retry on ConnectTimeoutException

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
HTTPCLIENT-902.
Fix and junit included.

So I haven't touched the interface HttpRequestRetryHandler.
which says : boolean retryRequest(IOException exception, int
executionCount, HttpContext context);

As ConnectTimeoutException extends InterruptedIOException, I have
overrid IOException.getCause() to return ConnectTimeoutException

Olivier

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 11:14 +0100, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> Hi,
> Sure, I will.
> If I want to provide a patch do I have to do it on the 4.0.x branch or trunk ?

> Olivier

Trunk.

Oleg

Re: Retry on ConnectTimeoutException

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Sure.

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
On Jan 6, 2010, at 12:49pm, Olivier Lamy wrote:

> NO.
> ConnectionTimeOutException can means the target endPoint cannot be
> contacted.
>
> My software "POST" some datas to various systems : company ones and
> externals one.
> Sometimes some systems are on small maintenance mode or during a
> restart time or some other stuffs.
> What I like is to not failed directly the application and try some
> retries with a sleep period between.

Having long delays deep in the bowels of the request handling code
feels wrong.

If you need long sleep periods, then I'd wrap the entire POSTing
process with a catch/retry loop, versus trying to leverage some retry
support inside of HttpClient.

-- Ken

> With this I can give a chance to the target systems to be live before
> : shutdown my application, having a kind of system alarm which will
> wake some folks (including probably myself) maybe during the nigth.
> All of this only because someone has restarted a server somewhere
> without any notifications.
>
> IMHO it's a good use case :-))
>
> --
> Olivier
>
> 2010/1/6 Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>:
>> From my experience, you get a ConnectTimeoutException when you've
>> made a
>> configuration or implementation mistake. E.g.
>>
>> - your connection pool size isn't big enough given the number of
>> simultaneous threaded requests.
>> - you're not releasing connections properly (e.g. when aborting a
>> request)
>>
>> So having an auto-retry is kind of odd here - if you want to avoid
>> the
>> timeout, fix the root problem.
>>
>> -- Ken
>>

>> On Jan 6, 2010, at 12:27pm, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for reply.
>>> Yes I already use this for this type of exception.
>>> But this doesn't catch the ConnectionTimeOut.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Olivier

Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://bixolabs.com
e l a s t i c   w e b   m i n i n g

Re: Retry on ConnectTimeoutException

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
NO.

Posted by Ken Krugler <kk...@transpac.com>.
 From my experience, you get a ConnectTimeoutException when you've
made a configuration or implementation mistake. E.g.

Ken Krugler
+1 530-210-6378
http://bixolabs.com
e l a s t i c   w e b   m i n i n g