Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Shahid Tamboli <sh...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/25 17:10:18 UTC

SSL configuration on Tomcat7.

Hello Everyone,
                       I am Shahid Tamboli and working at Mobimedia
Technologies, Pune, India. We are stuck up with configuring our server with
SSL. We have taken an Ubuntu instance on Amazon. We have installed Tomcat
on the server. The Tomcat version is Tomcat 7 We are facing issues of
configuring SSL certificates on my Tomcat server
We have followed the following steps of deploying the certificate.
http://www.networksolutions.com/support/installation-for-java-based-webservers-e-g-tomcat-using-keytool/<http://prolinks.rediffmailpro.com/cgi-bin/prored.cgi?red=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enetworksolutions%2Ecom%2Fsupport%2Finstallation%2Dfor%2Djava%2Dbased%2Dwebservers%2De%2Dg%2Dtomcat%2Dusing%2Dkeytool%2F&isImage=0&BlockImage=0&rediffng=0>

On following the above steps we are getting error of certificate not
trusted and on contacting the Certificate Provider they told us to check
our installation again. Thus if anyone can help us on this issue
Thank You
--
Cheers Shahid!!!

RE: SSL configuration on Tomcat7.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Ognjen,

On 4/25/13 4:47 PM, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
> Shahid, Chris,
>
> On 25.4.2013 19:14, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>> On 4/25/13 11:10 AM, Shahid Tamboli wrote:
>>> Hello Everyone, I am Shahid Tamboli and working at Mobimedia
>>> Technologies, Pune, India. We are stuck up with configuring
>>> our server with SSL. We have taken an Ubuntu instance on
>>> Amazon. We have installed Tomcat on the server. The Tomcat
>>> version is Tomcat 7 We are facing issues of configuring SSL
>>> certificates on my Tomcat server We have followed the following
>>> steps of deploying the certificate.
>>> http://www.networksolutions.com/support/installation-for-java-based-webservers-e-g-tomcat-using-keytool/<http://prolinks.rediffmailpro.com/cgi-bin/prored.cgi?red=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enetworksolutions%2Ecom%2Fsupport%2Finstallation%2Dfor%2Djava%2Dbased%2Dwebservers%2De%2Dg%2Dtomcat%2Dusing%2Dkeytool%2F&isImage=0&BlockImage=0&rediffng=0>

On following the above steps we are getting error of certificate
>>> not trusted and on contacting the Certificate Provider they
>>> told us to check our installation again. Thus if anyone can
>>> help us on this issue
>>
>> Please tell us exactly what steps you took. I know you were
>> following an online "howto", but please start over again (e.g.
>> delete your keystore), and tell us how you went from a clean
>> installation of Tomcat to where you are today. You are likely
>> missing a step (or 2).
>
> No, no, no... do not delete keystore. That may be the only place
> where your private key is.

Erp... sorry! You are absolutely right. I keep forgetting how
astoundingly stupi... er, efficient! ... Java keystores are.

> If you delete your private key, you will have to generate new
> private key, and purchase new certificate.

This is true. I hope the OP reads this before blowing that file away.

- -chris

Re: SSL configuration on Tomcat7.

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Shahid,
Chris,

> On 4/25/13 11:10 AM, Shahid Tamboli wrote:
>> Hello Everyone, I am Shahid Tamboli and working at Mobimedia
>> Technologies, Pune, India. We are stuck up with configuring our
>> server with SSL. We have taken an Ubuntu instance on Amazon. We
>> have installed Tomcat on the server. The Tomcat version is Tomcat 7
>> We are facing issues of configuring SSL certificates on my Tomcat
>> server We have followed the following steps of deploying the
>> certificate.
>> http://www.networksolutions.com/support/installation-for-java-based-webservers-e-g-tomcat-using-keytool/<http://prolinks.rediffmailpro.com/cgi-bin/prored.cgi?red=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Enetworksolutions%2Ecom%2Fsupport%2Finstallation%2Dfor%2Djava%2Dbased%2Dwebservers%2De%2Dg%2Dtomcat%2Dusing%2Dkeytool%2F&isImage=0&BlockImage=0&rediffng=0>
>>
>>   On following the above steps we are getting error of certificate
>> not trusted and on contacting the Certificate Provider they told us
>> to check our installation again. Thus if anyone can help us on this
>> issue
>
> Please tell us exactly what steps you took. I know you were following
> an online "howto", but please start over again (e.g. delete your
> keystore), and tell us how you went from a clean installation of
> Tomcat to where you are today. You are likely missing a step (or 2).

No, no, no... do not delete keystore. That may be the only place where
your private key is. If you delete your private key, you will have to
generate new private key, and purchase new certificate.

I guess Chris missed to notice that you gave us URL from commercial CA.

So, I propose that you just locate your keystore and run

   keytool -list -keystore /path/to/my_keystore.jks

And send us the results here. Also send us your server.xml with comments
and passwords removed.

-Ognjen

Re: SSL configuration on Tomcat7.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.