Posted to user@spark.apache.org by vinod kumar <vi...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/10 06:35:02 UTC

Caching in spark

Hi Guys,

Can any one please share me how to use caching feature of spark via spark
sql queries?

-Vinod

Re: Caching in spark

Posted by Akhil Das <ak...@sigmoidanalytics.com>.
There was a discussion happened on that earlier, let me re-post it for you.

For the following code:

     val *df* = sqlContext.parquetFile(path)

*df* remains columnar (actually it just reads from the columnar Parquet
file on disk).

For the following code:

     val *cdf* = df.cache()

*cdf* is also columnar but that's different from Parquet. When a DataFrame
is cached, Spark SQL turns it into a private in-memory columnar format.

Some more details about the in-memory columnar structure: it's columnar,
but much simpler than the one Parquet uses. The columnar byte arrays are
split into batches with a fixed row count (configured by "
spark.sql.inMemoryColumnarStorage.batchSize"). Also, each column is
compressed with a compression scheme chose according to the data type and
statistics information of that column. Supported compression schemes
include RLE, DeltaInt, DeltaLong, BooleanBitSet, and DictionaryEncoding.

You may find the implementation here:
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/master/sql/core/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/sql/columnar

This was originally written by Cheng.

Thanks