Posted to builds@apache.org by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> on 2011/07/26 23:42:10 UTC

[jenkins] Two distributed builds share the same workspace

Hi

I've investigated some odd build failures on the Solaris slaves for the
builds of maven-site-plugin. There are two builds of the same source
code, but with different versions of Maven. Here are the jobs:

https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-site-plugin-3.x/

https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/maven-site-plugin-3.x-m2/

These jobs are set up to build on 4 generic OSes, including the generic
Solaris label. After analyzing the logs I found that both jobs start by
doing this:

Deleting
/zonestorage/hudson/home/hudson/hudson-slave/maven-site-plugin-3.x/workspace/jdk/JDK
1.5 (latest)/label/Solaris/target

So when an SVN change triggers a build, or rather two builds in this
case, the first job is abruptly interrupted by the second one when the
second one simply deletes the entire workspace of the first.

However the job "maven-site-plugin-3.x-m2" should have it's own
workspace, called "maven-site-plugin-3.x-m2", on the Solaris slave
shouldn't it?

Is this something that can be configured or is automagical?

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [jenkins] Two distributed builds share the same workspace

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> I have unchecked custom workspace for all Maven builds.
>
> I've also made sure that all Maven builds use label groups in "Label
> Expression" instead of individual slave names.

Thanks!

I'll clean up the old workspaces.

/niklas

Re: [jenkins] Two distributed builds share the same workspace

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2011-07-31 09:06, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 1:03 AM, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> I don't want to break the build, so please fix this yourself. If not,
>>> I'll remove the custom workspace setting in a few days.
>>
>> I could do it if I had the karma, but unfortunately I do not see this
>> setting.
>
> You should have all the required karma. Click the "Advanced" button in
> "Advanced Project Options".

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Yes, I do have karma.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2011-07-30 23:13, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Benson Margulies
> <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I fixed this by changing the workspace path for the -m2 job. I turned
>> out to have karma.
>
> Could we please change these builds not to use custom workspaces at
> all? Right now, files ends up where we do not want them on the slaves.
> If a custom workspace is really needed, the first part of it's path
> must be "workspace/<job name>/".

I don't know why they are set up this way, but I do not see any reason
for it.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
If you don't want to do this, you have to arrange for a different
workspace path on each platform. I don't know how to do that, since
this 'label' business is new to me. There is only one workspace path
per job, but multiple labels.

I'll look into it.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Some else already clicked on 'Run each configuration sequentially'. So
it's already doing one platform at a time. grabbing the lock is thus
not going to make it slower.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I did two things:

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Thanks Benson!

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I think it's the other way around. Someone used a custom workspace
option to force them into the SAME workspace, when the default is the
other way around. I could get some karma and fix this, I guess.