Posted to users@felix.apache.org by peter lawrey <pe...@edgeci.com> on 2010/01/15 09:01:26 UTC

Reducing the objects created by logging in felix.

Hello,
On profiling our application we found most objects were being created by
the DirectoryWatcher.
We reduced the polling interval to 5 seconds but it still creates the
more objects than any other component.

I noticed that debug logging creates objects even if the logging is not
displayed. Is there a way to stop this happening?
eg. In DirectoryWatcher

182 log(Logger.LOG_DEBUG,
183 	"{" + POLL + " (ms) = " + poll + ", "
184 	+ DIR + " = " + watchedDirectory.getAbsolutePath() + ", "
185 	+ LOG_LEVEL + " = " + logLevel + ", "
186 	+ START_NEW_BUNDLES + " = " + startBundles + ", "
187 	+ TMPDIR + " = " + tmpDir + ", "
188 	+ FILTER + " = " + filter + "}", null);

Can this be changed so the String is only created if debugging is
displayed?
How would I would I find whether debug logging is enabled?

e.g.
if (isLogEnabled(Logger.LOG_DEBUG))

BTW: Shouldn't this be standard practice, esp for DEBUG?

Regards,
  Peter.