Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ivan Teliatnikov <iv...@geosci.usyd.edu.au> on 2004/02/27 05:05:04 UTC

subversion book in txt format.

Guys,

Could you please make a copy of the subversion book in plain txt format. I
would like to convert it to my Palm PDA but I could only do txt2palmdoc.

Thank you in advance.

Ivan Teliatnikov

phone: +61 2 9351 2031
fax: +61 2 9351 0184
mobile_phone: +61 402 173 179
email: ivan@es.usyd.edu.au

School of Geosciences
F05 - Edgeworth David Building
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia

Re: subversion book in txt format.

Posted by "Bruce A. Mah" <bm...@packetdesign.com>.
If memory serves me right, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 23:05, Ivan Teliatnikov wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > Could you please make a copy of the subversion book in plain txt format. I
> > would like to convert it to my Palm PDA but I could only do txt2palmdoc.
>
> Hm, our xsl package doesn't seem to have an XSL sheet for converting
> docbook-xml into plain text.  How odd.  And I can't seem to find an
> html2txt tool when googling.
>
> However, I simply brought up the giant book.html in 'links', which is
> already rendering html to txt, and told it to "save formatted document",
> named the file 'book.txt', and poof, I have a real book.txt.  You can
> use that as a workaround.  Maybe we'll upload it the website too.

FYI, that's exactly how the FreeBSD Documentation Project generates txt
file renderings of the Handbook, FAQ, release notes, etc.

Bruce.

Re: subversion book in txt format.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Posted by Jason Voegele <ja...@jvoegele.com>.
Ivan Teliatnikov said:
> Could you please make a copy of the subversion book in plain txt format.
> I  would like to convert it to my Palm PDA but I could only do
> txt2palmdoc.

If you have ps2ascii or lynx available, you could convert them to text by
yourself.

ps2ascii
--------
1) Download book.pdf
2) ps2ascii book.pdf > book.txt

lynx
----
1) Download book.html (single page html edition)
2) lynx -dump -nolist book.html > book.txt

--
Jason Voegele
"There is an essential core at the center of each man and woman that