Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Chris Johnson <jo...@isn.dac.neu.edu> on 1998/05/21 15:43:52 UTC

general/2262: logging of virtual host access confusing in access.log, errors.log

>Number:         2262
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       logging of virtual host access confusing in access.log, errors.log
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
This isn't a bug report so much as an observation.  When using virtual hosts,
the logs log access and errors relative to the virtual host root.  This throws
off any statistics one would want to generate from the logs.  It would be very
useful to have a URL or file path translation to indicate that a log entry was
a virtual host query and what the real file path was.  Virtual hosts might not
start at the root of a server but logging as if the access was from the root
confuses things greatly.  I don't know if this would mess up any log file
standards but it would help a lot.
>How-To-Repeat:
Yes, use virtual hosting.
>Fix:
See above.  But having something in the logs indicating a)that a virtual host was
access and b) what the real path was would solve the problem.