Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Gale <mi...@pason.com> on 2005/03/16 21:24:23 UTC

[users@httpd] RHEL 4 with Apache 2.0.52 and mod_auth

Hello,

I am running the laster RHEL 4 with Apache 2.0.52 and am having some
strange problems with apache and mod_auth.

In my httpd.conf file I have setup the following:

<Directory "/home/blahblah/share">
    AllowOverride AuthConfig
    Options None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

and in the "share" directory I have created a .htaccess file containing:

--snip--
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Nagios Access"
AuthAuthoritative On
AuthUserFile /home/htpasswd.users
Require valid-user
--snip--

Now the web page provides a user login popup but no matter what I have I
can not login. I have removed and created the users in my htpasswd.users
file a few times.

The apache error_log shows:
[Wed Mar 16 12:17:27 2005] [error] [client IP] MySQL ERROR: Can't
connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
[Wed Mar 16 12:17:27 2005] [error] [client IP] MySQL user testadmin not
found: /share/

Why is it using and looking for a mysql connection ?

Thanks.

Michael.

Re: [users@httpd] RHEL 4 with Apache 2.0.52 and mod_auth

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 01:24:23PM -0700, Michael Gale wrote:
> The apache error_log shows:
> [Wed Mar 16 12:17:27 2005] [error] [client IP] MySQL ERROR: Can't
> connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
> [Wed Mar 16 12:17:27 2005] [error] [client IP] MySQL user testadmin not
> found: /share/

This is a bug in the version of mod_auth_mysql used in RHEL4.  To
workaround simply:

rpm --erase mod_auth_mysql

if you're not using that module.

joe

Re: [users@httpd] RHEL 4 with Apache 2.0.52 and mod_auth

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:24:23 -0700, Michael Gale <mi...@pason.com> wrote:
> The apache error_log shows:
> [Wed Mar 16 12:17:27 2005] [error] [client IP] MySQL ERROR: Can't
> connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
> [Wed Mar 16 12:17:27 2005] [error] [client IP] MySQL user testadmin not
> found: /share/
>
> Why is it using and looking for a mysql connection ?

What modules are you using with apache?  (Check your LoadModule lines
and the output of httpd -l.)  Apache certainly won't use a mysql
database for auth in its default configuration.

Joshua.