Posted to users@groovy.apache.org by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk> on 2019/02/02 07:04:01 UTC

Gant is to be deleted, or will someone preserve it?

Hi,

Way back in 2006, Gant was an experiment in scheduling Ant tasks and attempted
to be a build system. Hans Dockter experiment a lot with it, but in the end
Gant was not the way forward and we got Gradle. Excellently done Hans (and
Adam).

Gant was still used by GINT for a while so was maintained a bit. However Gint3
will now use Gradle.

Thus does Gant come to its end of existence.

It is my intention to delete *everything* unless someone wants to take control
of the Gant group on GitHub to preserve the code for posterity.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200

Re: Gant is to be deleted, or will someone preserve it?

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
On Sat, 2019-02-02 at 09:50 +0100, Cédric Champeau wrote:
> An alternative is to "archive" the project in GitHub. It's going to be
> read-only (see the "settings" tab).

Gant organisation now with two owners not one, and the two repositories
archived as proposed.

Fwd: Gant is to be deleted, or will someone preserve it?

Posted by Chris Miles <ch...@gmail.com>.
Oops finger trouble forgot to copy in users, sorry

Posted by Chris Miles <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Why deleting it?
Keep it for posterity! :-)

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 8:29 AM Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Way back in 2006, Gant was an experiment in scheduling Ant tasks and
> attempted
> to be a build system. Hans Dockter experiment a lot with it, but in the end
> Gant was not the way forward and we got Gradle. Excellently done Hans (and
> Adam).
>
> Gant was still used by GINT for a while so was maintained a bit. However
> Gint3
> will now use Gradle.
>
> Thus does Gant come to its end of existence.
>
> It is my intention to delete *everything* unless someone wants to take
> control
> of the Gant group on GitHub to preserve the code for posterity.
>
> --
> Russel.
> Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200
> 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077
> London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk

--
Guillaume Laforge
Apache Groovy committer

Blog: http://glaforge.appspot.com/
Twitter: @glaforge <http://twitter.com/glaforge>

Re: Gant is to be deleted, or will someone preserve it?

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
Why deleting it?

Posted by Chris Miles <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 to archiving it

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
On Tue, 2019-02-05 at 00:08 +1000, Paul King wrote:
> +1 to archiving it. I am happy for you to add my name as a maintainer if
> that helps.

I do feel I need to add another owner to the Gant Organisation before
archiving, so if you are up for that, I think we have a way forward.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.