Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@apache.org> on 2000/02/24 01:27:09 UTC

Updated Apache profile sought for WebCompare (fwd)

Anyone want to take this one?  Thanks.

	Brian

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.
Thank you Dean!  Explorer no longer complains about chunking (though I've
yet to double check the dump).  Now at least I can continue development for
my clients within 2.0, while discovering new and wonderous bugs ;~)

Commenting out (for the moment) solved the entire issue... but wait there's
more...

ap_set_pipe_timeout does not exist yet in pipe.c under apr\file_io\win32.
However, iol_file.c now insists on its linkage for file_setopt().

As I look at pipe.c - this should be (sorta) simple to implement, and I will
in the next three days - if someone isn't already beating me to it.

Only ap_create_pipe exists in the apr\file_io\win32, while
ap_create_named_pipe and others should be straightforward.  I'll go ahead
tommorow if no one speaks.

Bill

RE: apr_config.h from http_log.c???

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.

apr_config.h from http_log.c???

Re: Replacement of WARNING.NT proposed

Posted by Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
Here is my opinion...
Remove the WARNING-NT.TXT file.  Create a README_WIN32.TXT file. The
ultimate goal we hope to attain with this file are:
1. Reduce unnecessary activity to the ASF bugdb and news groups.
2. Give the user community a sense that Apache 2.0 for Windows is a serious
http server worthy of consideration for deploying 'real' sites.
3. Point out serious issues that are likely to impact a lot of users (this
is just goal 1, really)

I like the comments about 95/98 not being server platforms. It should
contain pointers to the FAQ, a WIN32 specific FAQ, etc. The attached text is
a reasonably good start, with the exception of the last two paragraphs
("early adopter" and "Unix vs Windows" paragraphs).  The readme is not
really the place to bring up/comment on the Unix vs Windows debate, IMHO.

I'll commit this as a starting point.

BTW, I think Apache 1.3.12 is a pretty good Windows NT server. Static page
serving performance is pretty miserable, but if you can live with that, it
is quite stable. I think the CGI loop problem has been fixed, which was the
most vexing problem in the earlier releases. It will take a while (and
volunteers :-) to work out the bugs in Apache 2.0.

Bill

Posted by James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Replacement of WARNING.NT to Apache 2.0 proposed for vote, final revisions
>
> > From: James Sutherland [mailto:jas88@cam.ac.uk]
> >       William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@lnd.com] wrote:
>
> The Apache Software Foundation developed the Apache WWW server for
> portablity between OS (Operating System) platforms.  Apache originated on
> the Unix platforms as a replacement for httpd.  As Apache has been ported to
> OS2, Win32 and Novell platforms in the recent past, the original Unix
> implementations remains the benchmark for stability.

Clarify "httpd" - after all, Apache is called httpd too! :-)

"As the Apache ports to the OS/2, Novell and Win32 platforms are quite
new, the ..."?

> ASF supports the NT/2000 platform in tandem with our many others, and
"Windows NT/2000" - "NT" is a trademark of Northern Telecom.

> handles problems encountered with the Win32 port (both Windows 95/98 and
> Windows NT/2000 families) the same way as any other supported platforms.
s/as any/as on any/; s/platforms/platform/

> Apache 2.0 was developed in parallel on all currently supported platforms,
> and a greater proportion of the code is shared between all platforms than
> the Apache version 1.x family.  ASF continues to work to ensure that the
> Win32 port gains greater parity with the earliest supported Apache
"gains" -> "achieves"; "earliest supported" -> "more established". Your
wording makes it sound as if Apache/Win32 1.3.12 is trying to catch up
with the pre-1.0 builds ;-)

> implementations.

> Microsoft desgined the Windows 95/98 family as a consumer or client
> operating system.  In particular Windows 95 and 98 lack the security
> features found in the NT/2000 platforms.  ASF does not endorse the use of
+"Windows" as above. s/advise/recommend/

> Windows 95 or 98 as a server platform except for small-scale, protected
> environments (an isolated LAN intranet, for example, or for testing a
> prototype WWW site.)
>
> As with all Unix platforms, we advise Windows users to frequently review the
> OS vendor's security bulletins, available at
> http://www.microsoft.com/security, to assess and avert potential risks in
> the unprotected environment of the internet.
>
> Working within the Unix and NT communities, there will always be debates
> over which platform is better.  Both have proven themselves to be viable
> large volume transactional systems for specific applications when configured
> by competent engineers.  Each offers its own strengths and weaknesses.  Many
> on the Apache team do not use NT themselves, and there are a few
> distinctions between the systems that cannot be eliminated.  The Apache team
> includes NT advocates who work tirelessly to assure that the platform is
> well represented and supported.  As the entire Apache team is working to a
> common goal, flames about NT vs. Unix do not help argue the case for users'
> suggestions, bug reports or patch submissions.

+1 with the changes I suggest - except where did the advice on bug reports
go??

James.

RE: Replacement of WARNING.NT proposed

Posted by David Tulloh <lo...@fazeware.com>.
I agree, I have only been folowing the last few builds on win32 1.3.9
onwards and maybe a little bit before (1.3.9 is the earliest one I remember
that I could get to work - but that was my thickness)

But I think the NT Warning is too extreme and is scaring too many people off
I am unsure of how it copes under huge loads but as the file said (which I
cut) it is perfectly designed to work as a testing platform or to deliver
web pages to a low load lan

Posted by James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Then if this is what we all want to say, lets say it (I'm still looking
> forward to Mr. NT-MPM's thoughts!  Are you out there Bill?)
>
> WARNING:  Although the Win32 release of Apache 2.0 is engineered to the
> same standard as the Unix release, we do not recommend using it on the
> Windows 95 or 98 operating systems in a production environment.  These
> consumer systems were not designed as server platforms, and do not
> support some of the features required for a flexible, secure server.
> These platforms are well suited for testing the server and developing
> web sites.
>
> Please refer to the Apache 2.0 manual pages for more specific details.
>

> > From: rbb@shell.ntrnet.net [mailto:rbb@shell.ntrnet.net]On Behalf Of
> > What I read in your readme, is basically a rehash of what has
> > already been said in the README
> > file, plus the part about not supporting Win9X fully.  Unless we are
> > adding something that I have missed to this file, I don't see it as
> > necessary.
> >
> > Ryan
> >

> Q to you Ryan and James - is the originally proposed win32-read-me
> better dispatched off to the html documentation, then?  I don't want
> to clutter the root with too much drivel - but I think there were
> some valid details in the 0.13 draft.

I would certainly agree with moving win32-readme into the HTML docs; IMO,
the text stuff in the root should be limited to installation information,
and warnings that Apache doesn't work with Foo 1.2.3.

A nice Win32 HTML page wouldn't hurt, with the short caveat about Win95/98
in the root containing a pointer to that. Having it visible on the WWW
site might also encourage a few more Win32 users to have a go, which can't
hurt!

James.

RE: Replacement of WARNING.NT with WARNING_WIN_95_98.txt

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.
Then if this is what we all want to say, lets say it (I'm still looking
forward to Mr. NT-MPM's thoughts!  Are you out there Bill?)

WARNING:  Although the Win32 release of Apache 2.0 is engineered to the
same standard as the Unix release, we do not recommend using it on the
Windows 95 or 98 operating systems in a production environment.  These
consumer systems were not designed as server platforms, and do not
support some of the features required for a flexible, secure server.
These platforms are well suited for testing the server and developing
web sites.

Please refer to the Apache 2.0 manual pages for more specific details.

> From: rbb@shell.ntrnet.net [mailto:rbb@shell.ntrnet.net]On Behalf Of
> What I read in your readme, is basically a rehash of what has
> already been said in the README
> file, plus the part about not supporting Win9X fully.  Unless we are
> adding something that I have missed to this file, I don't see it as
> necessary.
>
> Ryan

Q to you Ryan and James - is the originally proposed win32-read-me
better dispatched off to the html documentation, then?  I don't want
to clutter the root with too much drivel - but I think there were
some valid details in the 0.13 draft.

RE: Replacement of WARNING.NT proposed - side thread

Posted by rb...@apache.org.
On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> If what James and I propose is a windows-read-me.txt - then I agree with
> Ryan's proposal, provided we change the name to WARNING-WIN-95-98.TXT.
>
> Please see my additional ideas inline.  Remember who many of our 95/98 users
> are, so we need to keep this language pretty basic.
>
> I will wait till the end of the day Monday to push for these two changes to
> be committed, so we can hear any additional feedback.

I don't have any problem with any of your changes.  My writing style tends
to be very informal (to the chagrin of my wife/editor).  I still don't
understand the need for a windows specific readme.  What I read  in your

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.

Posted by James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Replacement 0.13 of WARNING-NT.TXT to Apache 2.0 proposed for vote, final
> revisions
> (Yes James - I blew it on the bug reporting - please review)

+1 on that (or I would be if I had a vote :P)
(Is the filename appropriate, BTW? WARNING-WIN32.TXT perhaps?? It isn't
really a warning about NT...)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.

RE: Updated Apache profile sought for WebCompare (fwd)

Posted by James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > From: James Sutherland [mailto:jas88@cam.ac.uk]
> >
> > How about:
> >
> > The Apache Software Foundation has developed the Apache WWW
> > server to be
> > portable, including support for use on Win32 platforms (both
> > Windows 95/98
> > and Windows NT/2000). However, since Windows 95/98 is only
> > designed for
> > use as a client operating system, and in particular lacks the security
> > features found in server platforms, we do not recommend the
> > use of Windows
> > 95/98 as a server except for small-scale, protected environments (an
> > isolated LAN, for example, or for testing a prototype WWW site.)
>
> Replace: server platforms ; Replace-With: NT/2000 platforms

+1; NT Workstation has all the security features, too, but isn't
considered a server platform by Microsoft...

> Add: As with all Unix platforms, we advise Windows users to frequently
> review the OS vendor's security bulletins, available at
> http://www.microsoft.com/security, to assess and avert potential risks in
> the unprotected environment of the internet.

+1 and thanks for the URL :-)

(snip)
> > Apache originated on the Unix platform, with the Win32 port only being
> > added relatively recently, and as such, the other platforms
> > have been more
> > thoroughly tested. However, Win32 IS a supported platform,
> > and as such,
> > any problems encountered will be treated in the same way as
> > on any other
> > platform. Apache 2.0 (now approaching alpha release) is being
> > developed
> > in parallel on all supported platforms, with a greater
> > proportion of the
> > code being shared between platforms than is presently the
> > case; as such,
> > the Win32 port will be close to parity with the better established
> > platforms.
> >

> Delete: (now approaching alpha release)
> - as they read this it is already in release, right?

s/approaching/in/o ?

> +1 from me (not that I have a vote or nuthin' :~)>
Nor do I :-)

> > The trouble is, we need to encourage people to use Apache on
> > Win32 without
> > lulling them into a false sense of security about it - have I
> > struck the
> > right balance here?
>
> Yes - we have to stop scaring NT folks away from trying the product.  YES -
> it's not _AS_ reliable as the Unix build, but if we want the market share,
> we will need to change the warning!!!  We want to presuade them that there
> are stability aspects to Unix, but if they will run NT, we want them still!

Yep; I've used Apache on NT without any problems. Now, a nice *complete*
binary (i.e. Apache+mod_perl+Perl+modules) would have been nice; an NT box
on a 64K leased line just doesn't compare to a *nix box on an OC-3 :-)

James.

RE: Updated Apache profile sought for WebCompare (fwd)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.

Posted by James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.
> > I would like the 2.0 NT warning text to read something more
> like this:
> >
> > The Apache Software Foundation works to ensure that the
> Win32 port works on
> > all 32 bit flavors of Windows, that is, Windows 95, 98, NT and 2000.
> > However, ASF does not endorse deploying the Apache web
> server on Windows 95
> > or 98.  Inherent weaknesses in the cooperative multitasking
> architecture of
> > the consumer Windows platforms (Windows 95, 98 and
> Millenium) expose certain
> > vulnerabilities that cannot be addressed by any single
> application.  Windows
> > NT and 2000, being preemptively multitasking platforms
> (programs grab the
> > CPU in turn, they don't simply request it), are more
> reliable and secure in
> > their exposure to the internet.
>
> Hrmm... Windows 95/98 are also preemptively multitasked. Do
> you mean the
> problems with The Problem Formerly Known as Win16Lock?

That's why I threw it up here... however how preemptive are
the 'consumer' products?  Of course the 16 bit subsystem is
not preemptive, but if the entire platform is preemptive and
sufficiently stable for the Win32 amoung us - we can drop it.
There is no question, however, that MS did far more to keep
NT secure in the public arena - the same security is more of
an afterthought to 95/98.  Care to rewrite?

> > As new versions of Windows (specifically Windows 2000 and
> the forthcoming
> > Millenium release) are created, we actively solicit contributions of
> > incompatibilities that are introduced.  Further, for the
> first months
> > following a new release of any OS, we solicit reports of
> success with
> > compatibility.  Once a threshold of users report that the
> platform is
> > stable, we will declare Apache to be compatible with the
> Operating Systems.
> > If you would like to share your success or failure, please
> first search for your
> > issue in the bug database and in the newsgroup:

text continues:

If you cannot identify the bug, and the news group yeilds no
answers, please report the issue at

To Report Success, please search the BugDB for the phrase
'Apache/Win32 Tested on Windows __' (2000, etc) to indicate
installation success along with very minor glitches.

> > While many users have found success in deploying Apache
> within the Windows
> > OS family, ASF still cautions that the platform is an
> adjunct to the Unix
> > code base, and some functions were implemented with unique
> code.  Apache 2.0
> > is being developed with the active participation of NT
> platform developers,
> > so it will share more of the same code and functionality.
> Therefore it will
> > earn additional trust by the ASF that the Windows performs
> to the standards
> > of the Unix implementations measured by security and reliability.

Additional Contributions?

RE: Updated Apache profile sought for WebCompare (fwd)

Posted by James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> I would like the 2.0 NT warning text to read something more like this:
>
> The Apache Software Foundation works to ensure that the Win32 port works on
> all 32 bit flavors of Windows, that is, Windows 95, 98, NT and 2000.
> However, ASF does not endorse deploying the Apache web server on Windows 95
> or 98.  Inherent weaknesses in the cooperative multitasking architecture of
> the consumer Windows platforms (Windows 95, 98 and Millenium) expose certain
> vulnerabilities that cannot be addressed by any single application.  Windows
> NT and 2000, being preemptively multitasking platforms (programs grab the
> CPU in turn, they don't simply request it), are more reliable and secure in
> their exposure to the internet.

Hrmm... Windows 95/98 are also preemptively multitasked. Do you mean the
problems with The Problem Formerly Known as Win16Lock?

> As new versions of Windows (specifically Windows 2000 and the forthcoming
> Millenium release) are created, we actively solicit contributions of
> incompatibilities that are introduced.  Further, for the first months
> following a new release of any OS, we solicit reports of success with
> compatibility.  Once a threshold of users report that the platform is
> stable, we will declare Apache to be compatible with the Operating Systems.
> If you would like to share your success or failure, please search for your
> issue in the bug database, ask the newsgroup:
>
> While many users have found success in deploying Apache within the Windows
> OS family, ASF still cautions that the platform is an adjunct to the Unix
> code base, and some functions were implemented with unique code.  Apache 2.0
> is being developed with the active participation of NT platform developers,
> so it will share more of the same code and functionality.  Therefore it will
> earn additional trust by the ASF that the Windows performs to the standards
> of the Unix implementations measured by security and reliability.
>
> Please start by searching the BugDB with

With????

James.

RE: Updated Apache profile sought for WebCompare (fwd)

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@lnd.com>.

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Anyone want to take this one?  Thanks.

Whoof.  Their current listing doesn't look right.  I'll take
this one.

--
#ken    P-)}

Conference!  <http://ApacheCon.Com/>