Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by "Alexey B. Danchenkov" <da...@hotmail.com> on 2015/05/15 15:04:43 UTC

Thrift Support for Apache Hiveserver2

Hi List,

I appreciate if anyone can advise me whether Thrift supports Apache Hibe thrift server hiveserver2. I am trying to connect using thrift to hiveserver2 using the call OpenSession but it hangs forever.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Thrift Support for Apache Hiveserver2

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
> Hi List,

Hi User ;-)

Yes and no. Thrift is a Serialization and RPC framework which can be used
for anything  that exposes some public API, to some extent it can be
compared to SOAP or even REST. The question must be asked backwards: Whether
Hive offers a Thrift-based API. That may sound like nitpicking, but it
really is that way. Thrift is (only) the infrastructure used by some
product, in this case it happens to be Hive.

Re your question: When the call just hangs, this sounds like a problem in
the service function being called, or the protocol/transport stack being
used on each side. I also found this posting on stackoverflow, which seems
to describe your problem and indicates that you may need  SASL:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15415904/

Hope that helps,
JensG