Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2003/02/13 15:06:06 UTC

[5.0] Running with JRE

Hi,

I would be in favor of supporting running with only the JRE installed,
esp if Sun actually does win its injunction against M$.

The TODO list for that is:
- Update scripts (.bat, .sh, .nsi) to support the JRE. That's easy.
- Update build to precompile *all* webapps distributed with Tomcat (JSP
examples, admin, root webapp).
- In the event that someone does try to run a JSP page which isn't
compiled, and it fails because the compiler isn't there, we have to
display a meaningful error message instead of the current one.

Comments ?

Remy

Re: [5.0] Running with JRE

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would be in favor of supporting running with only the JRE installed,
> esp if Sun actually does win its injunction against M$.
>
> The TODO list for that is:
> - Update scripts (.bat, .sh, .nsi) to support the JRE. That's easy.
> - Update build to precompile *all* webapps distributed with Tomcat (JSP
> examples, admin, root webapp).
> - In the event that someone does try to run a JSP page which isn't
> compiled, and it fails because the compiler isn't there, we have to
> display a meaningful error message instead of the current one.
>
> Comments ?

+1 I would like to use gcj (from gcc) and JRE, so I am also interested.