Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/09 16:26:20 UTC

Re: Update of "PoweredBy"

> Le 09/02/2014 10:06, Apache Wiki a écrit :
>
>> The "PoweredBy" page has been changed by PierreJean:
>> https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/PoweredBy?action=diff&rev1=471&rev2=472
>>
>> Comment:
>> As discussed in the dev-mailing : Deep cleaning here - Step 1: Removing
>> all 404/TimeOut url + explicit subpage URL - Step 2 (On work): Check old url
>> with domain squater => Thx to not change list order
>>

> I show you a generated screenshot thumbnail of each url at the end of the
> coming week  to let see what are the 301/302 crappy URL
>
> When final clean done, then,  let me know if you want i back the logo of the
> company on the list
>
> Please, if you edit the page, do not change the order of each list, add your
> urls at the end of a category , because im gonna compare it with thumb list
> to do it super-quickly.  So if you change the order... i will loose my time
> :(

1. Generally: OK,
I like the new look.
Let's keep it without images.

2. I think you are too quick at removal.
Can it be done one-by-one, with an explanation?

It'd be better to re-check the timeout'ed sites on a later date.

3. As I said,  301/302 responses are OK.
You need to follow those redirects.

It might be a  www.foo.x -> foo.x redirect,
or redirect to a home page (e.g. to a wiki home page),
or redirect  foo/dir -> foo/dir/

4. You removed section #4  (Surveys).
I think it should be added back.
That section is about software surways that says how many % of
surveyed people are using Tomcat.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Update of "PoweredBy"

Posted by dahu <da...@dahu.fr>.
Le 09/02/2014 16:26, Konstantin Kolinko a écrit :

> 1. Generally: OK,
> I like the new look.
> Let's keep it without images.
as you want. i keep a saved page of the old version to not have to
switch between version if you want logo back and let me do it quickly

> 2. I think you are too quick at removal.
> Can it be done one-by-one, with an explanation?

It gonna be done like this :
- I build a tiny script that will get thumbnail screen shot of all URLs
including timeout URL's (no screenshot will be generated on this one if
still out)
=> i have an account for a webservice screenshot, 300 url is nothing for
me.

At this end, im gonna explain each case of removal decision, but i only
remove when explicit  :

the rules i follow :
- 404 = remove
- timeout = i understand you want to let a chance. let me know if you
want it back
- in the same company product : 1 link to company = ok
=> 1 link to tomcat specified product = ok
=> link to "real estate denver" with url
company.com/real-estate-denver.html = clearly spam optimisation = remove
the link, not the company

So at the end : only 404, confirmed timeout, confirmed Domain Squater,
and optimized URL will go out

> It'd be better to re-check the timeout'ed sites on a later date.

If you want, i put back URL timeout and indicate them with a flag
(TimeOut-fev14)

> 3. As I said,  301/302 responses are OK.
> You need to follow those redirects.
>
> It might be a  www.foo.x -> foo.x redirect,
> or redirect to a home page (e.g. to a wiki home page),
> or redirect  foo/dir -> foo/dir/
Screen shot thumbnail will give us the answer visualy. I will generate a
page with all thumbnail, so you will all see the result.
I think that 301/302 must be checked that way only to find Domain
Squater (Somebody bought the URL and put an Adult/chinese/other things
on it)

> 4. You removed section #4  (Surveys).
> I think it should be added back.
> That section is about software surways that says how many % of
> surveyed people are using Tomcat.

?!!! i checked 2 times to find this section and did'nt find it... But i
done it this morning, and its possible that i was not full awaken...
(hard staturday night :) )

I'll try to find little time this Monday to generate the thumbnail

PJ

Re: Update of "PoweredBy"

Posted by dahu <da...@dahu.fr>.
Hi

You can find the generated screenshot thumbnail of all URL'S here :

http://www.fichedepersonnalite.com/bluga/

The check has be done on the original url list (the check wait 30 sec
before the screenshot)
so there is the 404 in it , but not in the current PowerBy page

so let me now the rules i apply (or confirm)
i think that the better is :

- remove 404
- remove timeout && no screenshot (you were right, there is some timeout
that get a screenshot today, like http://www.ubiquityhosting.com)
- remove duplicate, like *electricshopping.com * *electricshopping.ie*
- remove subpage optimisation, like
http://www.voicent.com/call-center-software.php,
http://www.voicent.com/ivr.php, http://www.voicent.com/autodialers.php
and just let a link to voicent.com
- remove 301/302 like
http://www.cccp-project.org/Clan-Portal-JSP/tomcat.html , or empty page
- remove some header ok 200 like *FarmDirectory.org = a goddady page*,
or http://www.airsoftpx.com

I wait your confirm before starting.

Note: i think i will not explain each link removal. I think it's too
evident with the tumbnail, no ?

PJ