Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/30 23:07:53 UTC

[VOTE] Update to Community Roles and Processes

Hi all,

An update draft of the Sling Community Roles and Processes as been on
the site since June 2008 [1]. This draft proposes to separate the roles
of Committers and (P)PMC members to lower the entry barrier for
committership. Additionally I added an explicit note, that regular
contributors of documentation may be elected as Committers just like
regular contributors of code.

I think it is about time to put this draft on vote and accept or drop
it. So lets start a vote on this the current draft for the Sling
Community Roles and Processes [1]:

  [ ] +1 Yes
  [ ] -1 No, because ...

This is a majority vote running until Tuesday, 5. May 2009 (due to long
weekend in large parts of Europe).

Thanks and Regards
Felix

[1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/SLINGxSITE/apache-sling-community-roles-and-processes.html

Re: [VOTE] Update to Community Roles and Processes

Posted by Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no>.
2009/5/1 Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>:
> We can leave the vote open for more time, no problem with me. And we can
> continue to discuss.

+1

--
Vidar S. Ramdal <vi...@idium.no> - http://www.idium.no
Akersgata 16, N-0158 Oslo, Norway

Re: [VOTE] Update to Community Roles and Processes

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Jukka Zitting schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We can leave the vote open for more time, no problem with me. And we can
>> continue to discuss.
>
> OK, thanks.
>
> +1 to the proposed changes, with a note that IMHO the division between
> committers and (P)PMC members should only be used to lower the barrier
> for committership, not to raise the barrier for (P)PMC membership.

That's definitely the goal !

Regards
Felix

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dominik

Dominik Süß schrieb:
> +1
>
> but why can a commiter no longer nominate a contributor as commiter? (Since
> a Committer is not always a PPMC any longer)

See http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles for a
distintion between committers and (P)PMC members. In short, committers
just have write access to SVN. PMC members (for graduated project, for
incubator projects it is the PPMC in cooperation with the Incubator PMC)
control the project.

> This might be no big difference since I think a proposal of a commiter will
> be taken into account, but what is the intention of this change?

Comittership discussions generally take place amongst the (P)PMC on the
private list. Of course a committer may send a proposal to the private
list. But yes, a committer is excluded from the discussion.

The goal of this proposal is to lower the entry barrier to grow the
committer community: Up to now all committers are also (P)PMC members,
which raises the barrier. For (P)PMC members we generally expect longer
term committal to the project than from committers.

Of course, nobody prevents us from voting in a person directly into the
(P)PMC and for committership at the same time. But this is not automatic
any more.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Dominik Süß <do...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Sounds good to me, any qualification I had is removed
+1 (non binding)
Ian

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ian,

Ian Boston schrieb:
> a qualified +1 (non binding),
> but only because I see problems with the management of the private list.
>
> Committers who are not PPMC members cannot be on the private list
> otherwise they will see Committer->PPMC votes, and perhaps rejections.

Right. And generally voting new committers and PMC members is the task
of the PMC handled on the private list. Some projects to votes on the
public list thus giving all people access to the ongoing votes. I
personally do not like this because it prevents the ability to cast
honest votes.

> Further, this will mean that committers will not be able to cast votes,
> even non binding, on elections of new committers.

Yes.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
a qualified +1 (non binding),

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
+1 (sorry for being late...)

Regards
Felix

[RESULT] [VOTE] Update to Community Roles and Processes

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

After having kept this vote open for more than a week, I now close it
with the following result:

  +1 Dominik Süss
  +1 Juan Jose Vazquez Delgado (*)
  +1 Ian Boston
  +1 Jukka Zitting (*)
  +1 Vidar Ramdal (*)
  +1 Felix Meschberger (*)

So this vote passes with 6 +1 votes (4 of which binding) and no 0 or -1
votes.

Therefore this new Community Roles and Processes setup is put into effect.

Regards
Felix

Posted by Juan José Vázquez Delgado <ju...@gmail.com>.
> An update draft of the Sling Community Roles and Processes as been on
> the site since June 2008 [1]. This draft proposes to separate the roles
> of Committers and (P)PMC members to lower the entry barrier for
> committership. Additionally I added an explicit note, that regular
> contributors of documentation may be elected as Committers just like
> regular contributors of code.
>
> I think it is about time to put this draft on vote and accept or drop
> it. So lets start a vote on this the current draft for the Sling
> Community Roles and Processes [1]:
>
>  [ ] +1 Yes
>  [ ] -1 No, because ...

+1