Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2002/12/19 18:21:03 UTC

[discussion] jakarta-gump as community property

Gump is now two years old.  It has had contributions from over a dozen
people, about a half-dozen this month alone.  There seems to be a
renewed interest in gump (some in response to a little nudging <grin>).

Considering all of this, what I would like to propose is that the
contents of jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump get moved to jakarta-gump,
all committers to any jakarta code base be given karma and voting rights
on the full contents (descriptors, code, and stylesheets alike) and that
a single gump@jakarta.apache.org mailing be created (we are all devs
here, right?)

Thoughts?

- Sam Ruby

Re: [discussion] jakarta-gump as community property

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Gump is now two years old.  It has had contributions from over a dozen
> people, about a half-dozen this month alone.  There seems to be a
> renewed interest in gump (some in response to a little nudging <grin>).
>
> Considering all of this, what I would like to propose is that the
> contents of jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump get moved to jakarta-gump,
> all committers to any jakarta code base be given karma and voting rights
> on the full contents (descriptors, code, and stylesheets alike) and that
> a single gump@jakarta.apache.org mailing be created (we are all devs
> here, right?)
>
> Thoughts?

Big +1

Costin

Re: [discussion] jakarta-gump as community property

Posted by James Taylor <ja...@jamestaylor.org>.
On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 12:21, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Gump is now two years old.  It has had contributions from over a dozen
> people, about a half-dozen this month alone.  There seems to be a
> renewed interest in gump (some in response to a little nudging <grin>).
>
> Considering all of this, what I would like to propose is that the
> contents of jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump get moved to jakarta-gump,
> all committers to any jakarta code base be given karma and voting rights
> on the full contents (descriptors, code, and stylesheets alike) and that
> a single gump@jakarta.apache.org mailing be created (we are all devs
> here, right?)
>
> Thoughts?

Yes! Big +0 with the emphasis on the +

( Not that I am a big fan of gump, but moving out of the proposal area
can only make it better! =)

Re: [discussion] jakarta-gump as community property

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Gump is now two years old.  It has had contributions from over a dozen
> people, about a half-dozen this month alone.  There seems to be a
> renewed interest in gump (some in response to a little nudging <grin>).
>
> Considering all of this, what I would like to propose is that the
> contents of jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump get moved to
> jakarta-gump, all committers to any jakarta code base be given karma
> and voting rights on the full contents (descriptors, code, and
> stylesheets alike) and that a single gump@jakarta.apache.org mailing
> be created (we are all devs here, right?)

Big MONDO +1 from me with extra Sugar on top and POI and many legged
insects as a side dish (those who know, know)!

-Andy

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:

> Considering all of this, what I would like to propose is that the
> contents of jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump get moved to
> jakarta-gump, all committers to any jakarta code base be given karma
> and voting rights on the full contents (descriptors, code, and
> stylesheets alike) and that a single gump@jakarta.apache.org mailing
> be created (we are all devs here, right?)

+1

and I'd like to see it expanded to the other projects affected as well
(i.e. XML, Ant, Avalon, more to come).

Stefan

Re: [discussion] jakarta-gump as community property

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 18:21, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>>Gump is now two years old.  It has had contributions from over a dozen
>>people, about a half-dozen this month alone.  There seems to be a
>>renewed interest in gump (some in response to a little nudging <grin>).
>>
>>Considering all of this, what I would like to propose is that the
>>contents of jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump get moved to jakarta-gump,
>>all committers to any jakarta code base be given karma and voting rights
>>on the full contents (descriptors, code, and stylesheets alike) and that
>>a single gump@jakarta.apache.org mailing be created (we are all devs
>>here, right?)
>>
>>Thoughts?
>

> I like!
>
> I also agree it'd be cool if avalon, ant, xerces, cocoon etc team (all
> the ASF java peeps) to be able to access the thing, too.

I proposed on the Alexandria list that it be open to all Apache
committers, and I but it forward here too.  +1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [discussion] jakarta-gump as community property

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 18:21, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Gump is now two years old.  It has had contributions from over a dozen
> people, about a half-dozen this month alone.  There seems to be a
> renewed interest in gump (some in response to a little nudging <grin>).
>
> Considering all of this, what I would like to propose is that the
> contents of jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump get moved to jakarta-gump,
> all committers to any jakarta code base be given karma and voting rights
> on the full contents (descriptors, code, and stylesheets alike) and that
> a single gump@jakarta.apache.org mailing be created (we are all devs
> here, right?)
>
> Thoughts?

I like!

I also agree it'd be cool if avalon, ant, xerces, cocoon etc team (all
the ASF java peeps) to be able to access the thing, too.

cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: [discussion] jakarta-gump as community property

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
+10000

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Considering all of this, what I would like to propose is that the
> contents of jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump get moved to jakarta-gump,
> all committers to any jakarta code base be given karma and voting rights
> on the full contents (descriptors, code, and stylesheets alike) and that
> a single gump@jakarta.apache.org mailing be created (we are all devs
> here, right?)

+1

Conor

Re: [discussion] jakarta-gump as community property

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On Thursday, December 19, 2002, at 12:21 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Gump is now two years old.  It has had contributions from over a dozen
> people, about a half-dozen this month alone.  There seems to be a
> renewed interest in gump (some in response to a little nudging > <grin>).
>
> Considering all of this, what I would like to propose is that the
> contents of jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump get moved to
> jakarta-gump, all committers to any jakarta code base be given karma
> and voting rights on the full contents (descriptors, code, and
> stylesheets alike) and that a single gump@jakarta.apache.org mailing
> be created (we are all devs here, right?)
>
> Thoughts?

As a 'consumer' who benefitted from the daily Gumps of the codebases
here at Jakarta, +0 from me. (I have no time to help - but I think a
good idea...)

--
Geir Magnusson Jr                                   203-355-2219(w)
Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-247-1713(m)

Re: [discussion] jakarta-gump as community property

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
+1

Not sure what I could help with, but ping me if you think of something.
;-)

--
Martin Cooper

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Gump is now two years old.  It has had contributions from over a dozen
> people, about a half-dozen this month alone.  There seems to be a
> renewed interest in gump (some in response to a little nudging <grin>).
>
> Considering all of this, what I would like to propose is that the
> contents of jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump get moved to jakarta-gump,
> all committers to any jakarta code base be given karma and voting rights
> on the full contents (descriptors, code, and stylesheets alike) and that
> a single gump@jakarta.apache.org mailing be created (we are all devs
> here, right?)
>
> Thoughts?
>
> - Sam Ruby

RE: [discussion] jakarta-gump as community property

Posted by mw...@apache.org.
+1  I didn't realize it was still a "proposal".

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>

>> I like the idea of Gump becoming community property, but should it really
>> be only for Jakarta committers?  I'm thinking in particular about groups
>> like Ant and Avalon (recently "graduated" into full fledged Apache
>> projects), as well as the XML packages that Gump also watches over.

+1

> I just dug into cvs_acls.pl, and it looks like this is possible; I'm
> certainly fine with that idea.
>
> - Sam Ruby
>
> P.S.  Since Gump simply runs commands and captures output, there is no
> technical reason why it needs to be limited to Java code bases.

In fact it should be open to allo:-D

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 12:21:03 -0500
> From: Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
> To: general@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: [discussion] jakarta-gump as community property
>
> Gump is now two years old.  It has had contributions from over a dozen
> people, about a half-dozen this month alone.  There seems to be a
> renewed interest in gump (some in response to a little nudging <grin>).
>
> Considering all of this, what I would like to propose is that the
> contents of jakarta-alexandria/proposal/gump get moved to jakarta-gump,
> all committers to any jakarta code base be given karma and voting rights
> on the full contents (descriptors, code, and stylesheets alike) and that
> a single gump@jakarta.apache.org mailing be created (we are all devs
> here, right?)
>
> Thoughts?

I like the idea of Gump becoming community property, but should it really
be only for Jakarta committers?  I'm thinking in particular about groups
like Ant and Avalon (recently "graduated" into full fledged Apache
projects), as well as the XML packages that Gump also watches over.

> - Sam Ruby

Craig McClanahan