Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Bell <li...@hotmail.com> on 2000/07/19 18:01:06 UTC

RELOAD!!! not working

I have my classes for an app in

.../WEB-INF/classes/service.class

however when i recompile service.java, although tomcat gives me the message
RELOAD!!! it dosnt work!

I assumed this meant it reloaded the class file since it had changed.
however it still seems to use the old classfile
I have been very careful with filenames and paths etc. its not picking the
class up from anywhere else, since when i shutdown and then startup, it gets
the new class file.

NEW2 in server side register

http://localhost:4040/soap/rpcrouter.jsp1000
RELOAD!!!

Re: RELOAD!!! not working

Posted by Vincent Aumont <vi...@vslab.com>.
It's probably because .../WEB-INF/classes is in your CLASSPATH.

Re: IllegalStateException

Posted by Ryan Schutt <rs...@vt.edu>.
I think I've seen that exception in the html of a jsp where I used
<jsp:include> incorrectly...

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
Hi Aron,

Re: IllegalStateException

Posted by Jeremy Linzer <jl...@alabanza.com>.
Hi,

I don't know if this will help you or not but I also got this error and it turned out to be a problem with my
Beans. I had a bean getmsg and when I changed it to getMsg (capital M instead of lower case m) it worked. A hint
I had was (I am running under Linux RH 6.1) that I have a seperate window open where I go to for shutting down
and starting up Tomcat and there were more errors there and one said java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: TestBean:
method getMsg()Ljava/lang/String; not found.

Good luck,
Jeremy

Re: IllegalStateException

Posted by everett stauffer <ev...@chem.ucsd.edu>.
Saw exactly this problem using Apache 1.3.12, Tomcat 3.1, JDK 1.3 on NT 4.0.
I was using the Xalan package and this error came up when I called process().

Turned out the Xalan (XSLT) processor couldn't find a java extension class
and wanted to write out an error.

<RAMPANT-SPECULATION>
Somewhere in the process I think it was trying to grab the nearest equivalent
to System.out, got the Response object and tried to getOutputStream() or some
such which causes this error to be thrown.
</RAMPANT-SPECULATION>

I discovered the solution (real error) by using a different platform (Linux)
which showed the real errors on the console.

Everett

IllegalStateException

Posted by Aron Kramlik <ak...@tenzing.com>.
[...]

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:475)

I am running Apache 1.3.9 and Tomcat 3.1 on Mandrake Linux.

Re: RELOAD!!! not working

Posted by "tb.dinesh" <tb...@servelots.com>.
We did have the same problem.
We removed the "." from the CLASSPATH and/or
also make sure tomcat starts only in tomcat home.
This seemed to help.. however
we have a slightly different problem with reload..

 now tomcat (3.1) stops reloading abruptly after
a while. this is very confusing. when we detect
that we restart tomcat.. and again it reloads for a while.

any clues why this might happen?
d.

Posted by "D.Yutzy" <dy...@copper.net>.
> 1) Either your WEB-INF/classes or /lib path(s) is/are in the CLASSPATH.
> 2) Neither is in CLASSPATH, but the class exists somewhere else in your
> CLASSPATH.

As I said in my previous post, the notion that this is the root of the
problem is not correct.  I've tried at least 2 other products with the
EXACT same CLASSPATH (Resin and Jrun) and they work fine with Apache.  I
couldn't get *ANY* to work with IIS v5.0, but that's another issue 8).

As I stated before, I am new to Tomcat and trying out various products to
use within our company, and my developers are (as another poster said it)
PO'd that I have to take Tomcat down every time they compile a new .java
file.  Since the issue isn't unique to me and the solution not readily
available, I can't really say I've had adequate exposure to fully
evaluate Tomcat.

> > Otherwise, I'll have to go with another product....
> <Rant disposition="mildly agitated">
> If you have a question, I'll gladly answer it, but you'll pardon me if I
> don't like the tone of the afore-quoted line which closed your email.
This
> isn't the customer service department of your local Jiffy Lube.  With
that
> sort of tone, no one will be in a great hurry to respond to your email.
> answer questions like yours in my free time, because I don't have the
time
> (and maybe skill?) to actively contribute to the codebase.  For myself,
the
> only way I can see to promote this freeware container is to help the
people
> who want to use it.  So please, next time just post a question and not a
> minor threat.

I appreciate your time and efforts in posting a response.  I didn't wish
to imply anything, but when I am looking for alternatives to M$, I don't
really have the time to look at server source code to figure out why
something doesn't work as stated.

Our company deals with medium to small companies looking to implement low
cost intranet solutions.  When I'm evaluating several products, I cannot
afford to spend hours trying to get something to work, let alone
recommending it to a client when I cannot even get it to work myself.  If
it says to "X, Y, and Z" in the instructions and I do that in the correct
order, it should work with little headache.

RE: RELOAD!!! not working

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
Hi,

RE: RELOAD!!! not working

Posted by Jim Urban <ji...@netsteps.net>.
This is exactly what is happening to me too.  I might add, my co-workers are
getting pretty P.O.ed at me for constantly taking down Tomcat!

Jim Urban
Netsteps Inc.

I am having the exact same problem and the WEB-INF/classes is NOT in my
CLASSPATH.  I have read this "solution" here many times, but I assure
you, it is not.

I'm new to Tomcat, I admit, but if there is a file or something I can
post to solve this once and for all, please let me know!  Otherwise, I'll
have to go with another product....

On 7/19/2000, 4:01:06 AM, "Scott Bell" <li...@hotmail.com> wrote
regarding RELOAD!!! not working:

Re: RELOAD!!! not working