Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ry...@stpaul.com on 2002/08/07 14:02:33 UTC

Classpath problem

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade from FOP 0.20.3 to 0.20.4.  I use the IBM VisualAge
3.5.3 IDE.

After upgrading to 0.20.4, I am no longer able to use FOP within the
VisualAge test environment.  This is the stack trace that appears:

java.lang.NullPointerException
      java.lang.Throwable()
      java.lang.Exception()
      java.lang.RuntimeException()
      java.lang.NullPointerException()
      java.lang.String org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.getParserClassName()
      java.lang.String org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.getParserClassName()
      void org.apache.fop.svg.SVGElementMapping.setupSVG()
      void
org.apache.fop.svg.SVGElementMapping.addToBuilder(org.apache.fop.fo.TreeBuilder)
      void
org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.addElementMapping(org.apache.fop.fo.ElementMapping)
      void org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.addElementMapping(java.lang.String)
      void org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.setupDefaultMappings()
      org.apache.fop.apps.Driver()
      void com.stpaul.pdf.PDFGenerator.renderPDF(org.xml.sax.XMLReader,
org.xml.sax.InputSource, java.io.OutputStream, java.lang.String,
java.lang.String)

I'm guessing this is a Batik problem, but I'm not sure.  I imported the
Batik that ships with 0.20.4 into the VisualAge workspace, but it doesn't
seem to help.

Did I import Batik incorrectly or incompletely, or is there something else
I'm missing?  Also, is there another way to add a JAR to the workspace's
classpath without having to import it?  I tried setting the path to
batik.jar in the "resources" area on the "Options" window, but that doesn't
seem to help either.

Thanks for your help!!

Re: Classpath problem

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 07.08.2002 14:02:33 Ryan.Asleson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade from FOP 0.20.3 to 0.20.4.  I use the IBM VisualAge
> 3.5.3 IDE.
>
> After upgrading to 0.20.4, I am no longer able to use FOP within the
> VisualAge test environment.  This is the stack trace that appears:
>

> java.lang.NullPointerException
>       java.lang.Throwable()
>       java.lang.Exception()
>       java.lang.RuntimeException()
>       java.lang.NullPointerException()
>       java.lang.String org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.getParserClassName()
>       java.lang.String org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.getParserClassName()
>       void org.apache.fop.svg.SVGElementMapping.setupSVG()
>       void
> org.apache.fop.svg.SVGElementMapping.addToBuilder(org.apache.fop.fo.TreeBuilder)
>       void
> org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.addElementMapping(org.apache.fop.fo.ElementMapping)
>       void org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.addElementMapping(java.lang.String)
>       void org.apache.fop.apps.Driver.setupDefaultMappings()
>       org.apache.fop.apps.Driver()
>       void com.stpaul.pdf.PDFGenerator.renderPDF(org.xml.sax.XMLReader,
> org.xml.sax.InputSource, java.io.OutputStream, java.lang.String,
> java.lang.String)
>

> I'm guessing this is a Batik problem, but I'm not sure.  I imported the
> Batik that ships with 0.20.4 into the VisualAge workspace, but it doesn't
> seem to help.

Not so sure. If you look at Driver.getParserClassName(), the code looks
up an XML parser. That's where the error happens. My guess is that is
something to do with JAXP, not with Batik. Check if you've got Xerces or
another JAXP-compatible parser in your environment. What JDK are you
using?

> Did I import Batik incorrectly or incompletely, or is there something else
> I'm missing?  Also, is there another way to add a JAR to the workspace's
> classpath without having to import it?  I tried setting the path to
> batik.jar in the "resources" area on the "Options" window, but that doesn't
> seem to help either.
>
> Thanks for your help!!

I can't help you with VisualAge since I don't work with it. But
hopefully my tip helps you in some way.

Jeremias Maerki