Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sebastian Hoffmann <se...@pallas-group.de> on 2008/03/10 16:43:46 UTC

Milter (spamassassin): timeout before data read

Hello,

I've searched a lot to find a proper solution for my problem, but I
didn't find exaclty what I was searching for.

I'm running spamassassin 3.2.4 on suse 10.1 together with sendmail
8.13.8 and clamav 0.92.

Severeal times a day messages pass spamassassin without being correctly
scanned / redirected. The logfile throws entries like these:

[snip]

Mar 7 18:33:07 gw sendmail[5882]: m27HX5kl005882:
from=<3_...@aerofire.com>, size=3222, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<00...@ludebn>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA,
relay=XXX [217.160.129.172]
Mar 7 18:33:07 gw spamd[2432]: spamd: connection from localhost
[127.0.0.1] at port 38822
Mar 7 18:33:07 gw spamd[2432]: spamd: processing message
<00...@ludebn> for root:110
Mar 7 18:33:17 gw sendmail[5882]: m27HX5kl005882: Milter (spamassassin):
timeout before data read
Mar 7 18:33:17 gw sendmail[5882]: m27HX5kl005882: Milter (spamassassin):
to error state
Mar 7 18:33:17 gw sendmail[5882]: m27HX5kl005882: Milter add: header:
Mar 7 18:33:18 gw spamd[2432]: spamd: identified spam (12.5/5.0) for
root:110 in 10.5 seconds, 3591 bytes.
Mar 7 18:33:18 gw spamd[2432]: spamd: result: Y 12 -
BAYES_99,HTML_MESSAGE,RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET,RCVD_NUMERIC_HELO,URIBL_BLACK,URIBL_JP_SURBL,URIBL_SBL
scantime=10.5,size=3591,user=root,uid=110,required_score=5.0,rhost=localhost,raddr=127.0.0.1,rport=38822,mid=<00...@ludebn>,bayes=1.000000,autolearn=spam
Mar 7 18:33:18 gw spamass-milter[2443]: Thrown error: Failed to add
spambucket to recipients
Mar 7 18:33:18 gw spamd[22546]: prefork: child states: II
Mar 7 18:33:18 gw sendmail[5886]: m27HX5kl005882: to=xxx,
delay=00:00:11, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=123528, dsn=2.0.0,
stat=Sent
Mar 7 18:33:18 gw sendmail[5886]: m27HX5kl005882: to=xxx,
delay=00:00:11, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=123528, dsn=2.0.0,
stat=Sent
Mar 7 18:33:18 gw sendmail[5886]: m27HX5kl005882: to=xxx,
delay=00:00:11, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=123528, dsn=2.0.0,
stat=Sent
Mar 7 18:33:18 gw sendmail[5886]: m27HX5kl005882: to=xxx,
delay=00:00:11, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri=123528, dsn=2.0.0,
stat=Sent

[snap]

Have a look at the timestamps. The timeout comes always 10 seconds after
the mail comes in an scanning starts. I've not found any entry that
seemes to describe this 10sec timeout-limit and how to increese it.
Below are my entries in the sendmail.mc file... all times are set in
minutes, nothing in seconds...
Any ideas?

Spamassassin's and clamav's entries in the sendmail.mc file look like this:

INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin',
S=local:/var/spamd/spamass-milter.sock,
F=,T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clmilter',
S=local:/var/run/clamav/clmilter.socket,
F=,T=S:4m;R:4m´)
dnl define(`confINPUT_MAIL_FILTERS', `clmilter,spamassassin,clmilter')

-- Sebastian

Re: Milter (spamassassin): timeout before data read

Posted by Sebastian Hoffmann <se...@pallas-group.de>.
To be sure I made a new .cf file from the .mc yesterday and this
"phenom" still occurs.
The readme for libmilter says that the default values for the s: and r:
are set to 10sec if they are not set in the config.
But they are definitely set in the .mc/.cf :-(

--
Mit freundlichen Gr��en,

Sebastian Hoffmann

-Pallas Group-
P+O Compact Disc GmbH
IT / Programmierung
Auf dem Esch 8
49356 Diepholz
Tel.: +49 5441 977-180
Fax: +49 5441 977-177
E-Mail: Sebastian.Hoffmann@pallas-group.de
Internet: www.pallas-group.de

Amtsgericht Walsrode HRB 100109
UST.ID.NR.: (VAT.REG.NO.): DE 116579198
Gesch�ftsf�hrer:
Rolf Neumann * Holger Neumann * Rainer Koppermann

P.S.: Wir sind offizieller Lizenzpartner von Toshiba, Philips und MPEG-2.

Re: Milter (spamassassin): timeout before data read

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.

Re: Whitelist Question

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
Sure - a procmail recipe would work.

Or, provide an example header and an example entry from your local.cf
so maybe someone here can see if there's something incorrect.

Posted by Sebastian Hoffmann <se...@pallas-group.de>.
YES MAN! Thanks a lot!!! That was my mistake. I'm wondering why I
haven't found that comment on that page...
But... ymmd! Thank you :-)

Posted by Jared Hall <jh...@tbi.net>.

Posted by Sebastian Hoffmann <se...@pallas-group.de>.
Hi!

Re: Whitelist Question

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 11.03.08 17:26, JDavila@languageworks.com wrote:
> Here is  the full header. But also  the local.cf has around 12000 entries,
> is that a problem.

WHAT? 12000 entries? What the hell are you doing with that?

>                 by nyclns01.languageworks.com with esmtps
> (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256)
>                 (Exim 4.66)
>                 (envelope-from <vi...@citi.com>)
>                 id 1JZ4xk-0008OC-Om
>                 for BHyatt@languageworks.com; Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:56:25
> -0400

[...]

>                 4.0 SARE_FORGED_CITI       Message appears to be forged,
> (citibank.com)

I wonder why it matches SARE_FORGED_CITI when it was received from
smtp1.citigroup.com. I personally doesn't use SARE so I can't comment it,
but it looks problematic.

Chernobyl was an Windows 95 beta test site.

Re: Whitelist Question

Posted by JD...@languageworks.com.

Subject: RE: ESTIMATE - WI #80272(7/96)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:55:46 -0500
From: "Brown, Vicci " <vi...@citi.com>
To: <BH...@languageworks.com>
"nyclns01.languageworks.com", has
                identified this incoming email as possible spam.  The
Posted by Randy Ramsdell <rr...@livedatagroup.com>.

Re: Whitelist Question

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, JDavila@languageworks.com wrote:

> Here is the header info.

*screenshots*? During the day I use a text-only mail client, so I can't
look at them for you until tonight unless you post the text version of the
full message headers. I can't say whether anyone else will bother to look.

> What is the alternate solution to using whitelist_from ?

There are several variants, whitelist_from_rcvd and whitelist_from_spf
being the most useful.

> I been also trying to setup AWL via MySQL.....no luck on
> that.

"AWL" is a misleading name; it is a score averager, not really a whitelist
- it's only a whitelist if someone with a history of sending ham happens
to send a spammy message.

> I use Exim for mail then , it relays to Lotus Domino.....if that helps.

At this point it's not relevant.

> Content analysis details:   (5.7 points, 10.0 required)

Ah, good, this may be enough to give useful advice...

> pts rule name          description
> ---- ----------------- --------------------------------------------------
> -4.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED RBL: Sender listed at http://www.dnswl.org/, medium
>                        trust [199.67.179.116 listed in list.dnswl.org]
> 1.0 EXTRA_MPART_TYPE   Header has extraneous Content-type:...type= entry
> -0.0 SPF_HELO_PASS     SPF: HELO matches SPF record
> 1.8 SUBJ_ALL_CAPS      Subject is all capitals
> -0.0 SPF_PASS          SPF: sender matches SPF record
> 0.0 HTML_MESSAGE       BODY: HTML included in message
> 1.4 SARE_GIF_ATTACH    FULL: Email has a inline gif
> 1.5 MY_CID_AND_ARIAL2  SARE CID and Arial2
> 4.0 SARE_FORGED_CITI   Message appears to be forged, (citibank.com)

Okay, given that it seems to be a Citibank mail, and SPF passes, you'd
want to use whitelist_from_SPF. See the documentation for the details.

   USMC Rules of Gunfighting #2: Anything worth shooting is worth
   shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Your life is expensive.
  3 days until Albert Einstein's 129th Birthday

Re: Whitelist Question

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 12.03.08 10:41, JDavila@languageworks.com wrote:
> Even though it did not meet SA's threshold, the e-mails are still going to
> users Spam Box instead of their inbox. Maybe I should have made that more
> clear , sorry for the confusion.

it's not SA issue then. SA only classifies mail, it's something different
that delivers to mailboxes (procmail, maildrop, anything)
It's now safe to throw off your computer.

Re: Whitelist Question

Posted by JD...@languageworks.com.
John ,

[...]

John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>
03/11/2008 05:28 PM

JDavila@languageworks.com
cc
users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject
Re: Whitelist Question

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, JDavila@languageworks.com wrote:

> Content analysis details:   (5.7 points, 10.0 required)

Also: it didn't cross your spam threshold, so what are you complaining
about?

   There is no doubt in my mind that millions of lives could have been
   saved if the people were not "brainwashed" about gun ownership and
   had been well armed. ... Gun haters always want to forget the Warsaw
   Ghetto uprising, which is a perfect example of how a ragtag,
   half-starved group of Jews took 10 handguns and made asses out of
   the Nazis.                        -- Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor
  3 days until Albert Einstein's 129th Birthday

Re: Whitelist Question

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, JDavila@languageworks.com wrote:

> Content analysis details:   (5.7 points, 10.0 required)

Also: it didn't cross your spam threshold, so what are you complaining
about?

   There is no doubt in my mind that millions of lives could have been
   saved if the people were not "brainwashed" about gun ownership and
   had been well armed. ... Gun haters always want to forget the Warsaw
   Ghetto uprising, which is a perfect example of how a ragtag,
   half-starved group of Jews took 10 handguns and made asses out of
   the Nazis.                        -- Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor
  3 days until Albert Einstein's 129th Birthday

Re: Whitelist Question

Posted by JD...@languageworks.com.
Here is the header info. What is the alternate solution to using
whitelist_from ? I  been also trying to setup AWL via MySQL.....no luck on
that.
I use Exim for mail then , it relays to Lotus Domino.....if that helps.

                 pts rule name              description
                 ---- ----------------------
                 -4.0 RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED      RBL: Sender listed at
http://www.dnswl.org/, medium
                 trust
                 [199.67.179.116 listed in list.dnswl.org]
                 1.0 EXTRA_MPART_TYPE       Header has extraneous
Content-type:...type= entry
                 -0.0 SPF_HELO_PASS          SPF: HELO matches SPF record
                 1.8 SUBJ_ALL_CAPS          Subject is all capitals
                 -0.0 SPF_PASS               SPF: sender matches SPF
record
                 1.4 SARE_GIF_ATTACH        FULL: Email has a inline gif
                 1.5 MY_CID_AND_ARIAL2      SARE CID and Arial2
                 4.0 SARE_FORGED_CITI       Message appears to be forged,
(citibank.com)

Jeremy Davila
Systems Administrator
Direct: 646-205-2136

The LanguageWorks, Inc.
1123 Broadway, Suite 201
New York, NY 10010

The LanguageWorks, Inc. is an ISO 9001:2000 certified company which:
"Facilitates global communication by providing foreign language
translation, editing, proofreading, and cultural analysis. Additional
services include on-site interpreting and document review, foreign
language page layout, conversion of web sites into multiple languages, and
multilingual voice-overs for radio spots and video productions."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The information in this E-Mail may be confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the
taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on this E-Mail, is prohibited and
may be unlawful. If you have received this E-Mail message in error, notify
the sender by reply E-Mail and delete the message.

John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>
03/11/2008 12:47 PM

JDavila@languageworks.com
cc
users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject
Re: Whitelist Question

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, JDavila@languageworks.com wrote:

> I add users to whitelist in the local.cf file "whitelist_from
> user@example.com" but they still get tagged as Spam, is there a
> altnerative solution.

(1) Don't use whitelist_from, it is too easy for spammers to spoof. Use
one of the other whitelist options. whitelist_from is a last resort
option.

(2) Post *all* the headers from a message that was incorrectly marked as
spam, as well as the whitelist command you put in that you think should
have whitelisted that message.

   Win95: Where do you want to go today?
   Vista: Where will Microsoft allow you to go today?
  3 days until Albert Einstein's 129th Birthday

Re: Whitelist Question

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Sebastian Hoffmann wrote:

> This was why I postet the settings from the sendmail-milter:
>
> "INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin',
> S=local:/var/spamd/spamass-milter.sock,
> F=,T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clmilter',
> S=local:/var/run/clamav/clmilter.socket,
> F=,T=S:4m;R:4m´)
> dnl define(`confINPUT_MAIL_FILTERS', `clmilter,spamassassin,clmilter') "
>
> All timeouts here are set in minutes for the milter, not in seconds, or
> even a setting with ":10s". I thought that these were the settings for
> the milter, arent't they?
> Does anybody know where I can increse an value that seemes to be set to
> 10 seconds by default? I don't know where to start...
[snip..]

The timeout parameters in your sendmail .mc/.cf file are for the
communications from sendmail -to- the milter daemon. There is another
conversation that is going on between the milter daemon and spamd.
(IE sendmail passes the message to the milter daemon, the milter daemon
passes it on to spamd, spamd processes the message and replies to the
milter daemon, the milter daemon  then reports back to sendmail).

So it looks like your milter daemon has a short (10s) timeout for when
-it- talks to spamd, so if spamd takes more than 10s to process the
message and reply back to the milter daemon, the milter daemon declares
spamd to be non-responding and errors out. (that's an unrealisticly short
timeout).

So you need to look at the configuration of the milter daemon to see how
to change its timeouts. That may be a config option or may be hardcoded
inside the milter.

Which specific milter are you using? Do you have the source code for it?

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Re: Milter (spamassassin): timeout before data read

Posted by Sebastian Hoffmann <se...@pallas-group.de>.

Posted by SM <sm...@resistor.net>.