Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tremal Naik <tr...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/23 10:05:23 UTC

filtering import and setting lock

Hello folks,
I'm using subversion 1.3.2 (r19776) accessing it with web-dav on Linux
(apache2 with svn module version: 1.3.2-5+b1). I use svn tortoise
1.4.0 as client. I read the manual and I think I did it carefully, but
I'm not able to set two things: filtering the import and setting
automatically a lock on some kind of files. Maybe I'm confusing on
some concepts, I hope you'll be able to clarify.

I'm trying to filter .class files among the others and I'd like to set
a lock on office files on importing them.
My /etc/subversion/config file follows (only the uncommented lines)

[auth]
[helpers]
[tunnels]
[miscellany]
global-ignores = *.class *.scc *.o *.lo *.la #*# .*.rej *.rej .*~ *~
.#* .DS_Store
enable-auto-props = yes
[auto-props]
*.java = svn:eol-style=native
*.xml = svn:eol-style=native
*.xsd = svn:eol-style=native
*.xmi = svn:eol-style=native
*.tld = svn:eol-style=native
*.properties = svn:eol-style=native
*.c = svn:eol-style=native
*.cpp = svn:eol-style=native
*.h = svn:eol-style=native
*.htm* = svn:eol-style=native
*.jsp = svn:eol-style=native
*.css = svn:eol-style=native
*.js = svn:eol-style=native
*.sh = svn:eol-style=native;svn:executable
*.txt = svn:eol-style=native
Makefile = svn:eol-style=native
*.doc = svn:needs-lock=*
*.xls = svn:needs-lock=*
*.ppt = svn:needs-lock=*
*.jar = svn:needs-lock=*
*.war = svn:needs-lock=*
*.ear = svn:needs-lock=*
*.jks = svn:needs-lock=*
*.enc = svn:needs-lock=*
*.cert = svn:needs-lock=*

when I import a project containing *.class files and some Word and
Excel files, I see that the *.class files are imported as well and the
office files don't have the svn:needs-lock property set. The *.java
files don't have the svn:eol-style property set neither.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for your help and patience

--
TREMALNAIK

Re: filtering import and setting lock

Posted by Tremal Naik <tr...@gmail.com>.
2006/10/23, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>:
> Please keep replies on the list so others can benefit from the
> discussion.

yep, I only hit the "reply" button. Maybe your Apple mailer is putting
the list as a CC and the sender as a TO: try to fix it.

> > ok, but what are the server config file for?
>
> I am not familiar with /etc/subversion/config; no such file exists on
> my system.

ok, now I know, it's the system wide *client* configuration file, for
those users who use the command svn on that machine. Infact, the first
time you issue a command (let's say svn --version) you'll see a copy
of that file is crated in the user's ~/.subversion

> There is no server-side way to cause auto-props or global-ignores to
> occur. They must be set on the client.

yeah, I see it now

> Then, you can install a pre-commit hook on the server side that
> rejects any commit that does not conform to your requirements. For

ok

thanks

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
Tremal,

On Oct 23, 2006, at 10:50, Tremal Naik wrote:

> 2006/10/23, Ryan Schmidt:
>
>> I think you'll want to modify ~/.subversion/config on the client,
>
> ok, but what are the server config file for?

I am not familiar with /etc/subversion/config; no such file exists on
my system.

> Suppose I want to grant access to many users, how can I manage that
> everybody has the correct ~/.subversion/config settings? And suppose
> that my users are windows users? How can i set the options for them?
> Supposing that they can use whatever client they wish (I'ma a very
> democratic subversion administrator)?
>
> I'm not asking this to polemize, but I think there should be a
> mechanism to centralize this kind of settings. Maybe with the use of
> hooks?

There is no server-side way to cause auto-props or global-ignores to
occur. They must be set on the client.

Then, you can install a pre-commit hook on the server side that
rejects any commit that does not conform to your requirements. For
example, if a .java file is being checked in and it does not have the
svn:eol-style property, reject the commit and inform the user to set
the property and try again, or set up the auto-props. You can even
show a URL where the user can get a pre-configured config file they
can just drop into their .subversion directory.

I believe on Windows, the config file is in C:\Documents and Settings
\<username>\Application Data\Subversion

Re: filtering import and setting lock

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 23, 2006, at 05:05, Tremal Naik wrote:

> I'm trying to filter .class files among the others and I'd like to set
> a lock on office files on importing them.
> My /etc/subversion/config file follows (only the uncommented lines)
[snip]
> when I import a project containing *.class files and some Word and
> Excel files, I see that the *.class files are imported as well and the
> office files don't have the svn:needs-lock property set. The *.java
> files don't have the svn:eol-style property set neither.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I think you'll want to modify ~/.subversion/config on the client,
not /etc/subversion/config, which I'm not familiar with. Auto-props
and global-ignores are client-side settings.