Posted to user@ant.apache.org by A A <ma...@yahoo.es> on 2009/03/05 13:50:31 UTC

Declare few projects on a build.xml

Hello, to all the users from the list, it´s my first mail, and sorry for my poor english.
Im starting to test ant, and building a script to automatized the deploys of my aplications, cause before i used to manual wget commands or autodeploys.

The problem is I have a more than 30 aplications and 3 diferentes enviroments for each aplications, so it woulb be like create 90 build.xml with the projects information.

Are there any posibility to simplifiy the project and build.xml properties declare?. It posible to create more than 1 project in a build.xml? Or all projects in the same build.xml

Thanks to all.

Re: Declare few projects on a build.xml

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
One of the things you can look at is the use of property files to set
most of the variables in your various deployment environments.

You can then use the

<property file="${prop.file}"/>

in your Ant script to read in these properties, and then handle the
script based upon those properties.

Another feature of Ant is the ability to filter through files to
replace strings with other strings. For example, let's assume you
have:

@SERVER@

as a string embedded into your configuration files. Something like this:

<server name="@SERVER@"/>

You can have Ant replace the string @SERVER@ with the actual server
name while doing a copy:

Here's an example from my build.xml

        <!-- Copy the configurable files and replace any tokens -->
        <copy todir="${local.jboss.home}/server/${jboss.instance}"
            overwrite="true"
            verbose="${copy.verbose.flag}">
            <fileset dir="${jboss.install.home}/jbdev1">
                <include name="**/*.template"/>
            </fileset>
            <mapper type="glob"
                from="*.template" to="*"/>
            <filterset begintoken="@" endtoken="@">
                <filter token="path_to_server_dir"
                    value="${local.jboss.home}/server/${jboss.instance}"/>
                <filtersfile file="${deploy.properties.file}"/>
            </filterset>
        </copy>

Will this help simplify matters a bit?

Ant is usually used for building Java applications, and not as a
deployment tool. If you are mainly deploying already built warfiles,
you might be better off with another tool.

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Declare few projects on a build.xml

Posted by Miguel Alejandro Caro Ruger <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Schmetzer <jo...@exubero.com>.

Posted by Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>.

Posted by John Martin <jm...@transitionaldata.com>.
I would suggest that you take a look at Gant http://gant.codehaus.org/ which allows for much more dynamic coding of Ant processes.  This way you might be able to get away with just a few Ant builds that are based on configurations.  In addition you will have direct access to Groovy which is a great language to write the scripts needed for deployment, etc.

John Martin
Principal Consultant
TransitionalData Services, Inc.
92 South Street