Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Wayne A Christian <wa...@genesyslab.com> on 2002/09/03 16:59:16 UTC

RE: About Portlets ( WebSphere & JetSpeed )

Does anyone have any comments on this?
While looking through the (many) websphere jar files I thought I located what looked like the portlet API.
There were jetspeed packages, however, it seemed to me that IBM had totally reengineered the jetspeed stuff they
supply.  Jetspeed portlets extend AbstractPortlet, while WebSphere portlets extend PortletAdaptor.
What's worse, WebSphere does have an AbstractPortlet class, but it looks nothing like jetspeed AbstractPortlet class.
Unless I can determine otherwise, there's NO WAY that you can switch a portlet between jetspeed and WebSphere.
We had a requirement to have some sort of portlet transparency (being able to run under different portal vendors).
Until a portlet API is adopted by everyone, we will not (easily) be able to realize this.

Wayne Christian
Sr. Staff Software Engineer
Genesys Telecommunications Labs
2100 Gateway Centre Blvd.  Suite 300