Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Shen LI <ge...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/10 18:19:07 UTC

How many bytes does heart beat message and return value contain?

Hi All,

Does anyone know how many bytes does one heart beat message contain? And
what about the return value of heart beat message?

Thanks,

Shen

Re: How many bytes does heart beat message and return value contain?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Shen,

Perhaps you could write some tests in Java to measure object sizes; or
you can run a profiler and measure it live (VisualVM lets you profile
with visuals)?

As Arun mentioned, it is really tough to say since every heartbeat
would carry variable sizes (I'd just provided empty-ish values)
depending on each of the Task's current, reported status and the
commands being issued back. But I believe you could form a formula of
sorts with careful-enough study.

--
Harsh J

Re: How many bytes does heart beat message and return value contain?

Posted by Shen LI <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi Harsh,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Shen,

--
Harsh J

Re: How many bytes does heart beat message and return value contain?

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.
It really depends... the problem is that the TT's msg includes user-
counters.

So, in bad cases it could be infinite. hadoop-0.20.203 limits
#counters for precisely this reason.

In hadoop-0.20.203 it could be as big as multiple KB, but no more.