Posted to community@apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2003/12/10 14:22:36 UTC

Re: Policy for Jakarta Wiki(s)

That¹s fine, but the results aren't very useful see this:

http://wiki.apache.org/general/FindPage?action=titlesearch&value=FAQ

This is what I mean (across wikis):

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?search=FAQ&dosearch=1

The main issue I have with splitting things up are search and linkage.  I
have no objections otherwise (supposing someone else has the headache of
dealing with 100 different wiki configs).

Also consider this:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?search=AvalonFAQ

I can find out what pages are linked FROM as well as TO.

Its unfortunate no wiki supports namespaces of a sort.

-Andy

--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.

Re: Policy for Jakarta Wiki(s)

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:53:33 +0100
Leo Simons wrote:

> nope, definately not the same. But I do suspect that within time, as
> the moin wiki actually sees usage (and a better pagerank), the google
> search will improve.

TIPS:

You can not expect the google engine (google-bot) to cache the
pages of .CGI.
Why don't you guys think of the re-config (.htaccess) of /wiki/
directory on apache-httpd?
e.g. http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?HomePage
      => http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/?HomePage

Hope this helps.

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

Re: Policy for Jakarta Wiki(s)

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>That¹s fine, but the results aren't very useful see this:
>
>http://wiki.apache.org/general/FindPage?action=titlesearch&value=FAQ
>
>This is what I mean (across wikis):
>
>http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?search=FAQ&dosearch=1
>
>The main issue I have with splitting things up are search

nope, definately not the same. But I do suspect that within time, as
the moin wiki actually sees usage (and a better pagerank), the google
search will improve.

I don't think it will be very difficult to add a cross-wiki fulltext search
of our own, but I don't have time to do that atm. Maybe in a week or
two.

>and linkage.

I think this is more of a personal thing :D. I've always liked the Moin
style of linking a lot better.

Alsoa, its all about what links you mean, of course. For example, contrast

http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/FAQ (no, it doesn't exist yet, but it could)

with

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?ApacheJ2EE/FAQ

>I have no objections otherwise (supposing someone else has the headache of
>dealing with 100 different wiki configs).

yep. Jason set up a nice little system for that.

>Its unfortunate no wiki supports namespaces of a sort.

+1. No wiki is perfect, which is why there are so many, I guess.

- LSD