Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org> on 2022/05/04 12:39:05 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Maven Daemon 0.8.0 (2nd try)

I've staged a candidate release at
  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/maven/mvnd/0.8.0/

The changelog is available at

https://github.com/apache/maven-mvnd/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#080-2022-05-04

I've fixed a bunch of issues regarding the native libraries and
reproducible builds.
This is the second attempt at releasing the first version of Mvnd since its
move into the Maven project, so a thorough look would be welcomed !

Fwiw, the release process is explained at https://github.com/apache/maven-
mvnd/blob/master/RELEASING.adoc (this is not complete, i'll focus on the
next phases once the vote passes).

Guillaume

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Daemon 0.8.0 (2nd try)

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@vanzyl.ca>.
Guillaume,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
+1 (non binding...)

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Daemon 0.8.0 (2nd try)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@vanzyl.ca>.
+1

jvz

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <ta...@cservenak.net>.
+1

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Daemon 0.8.0 (2nd try)

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
Closing this vote with 5 binding +1s and 1 non-binding +1.
I'll publish the release on the final location [1] if possible (or I'll ask
someone if needed) and will then try to update the various packagers
(homebrew, choco, sdkman...) updating the release instructions if necessary.

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

[1] https://downloads.apache.org/maven/mvnd/

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Maven Daemon 0.8.0 (2nd try)

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1

minor comments

I made some testing and got such intermittent failures but definitely some
race conditions and I cannot reproduce with every build (maybe a known
issue?):

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.asciidoctor:asciidoctor-maven-plugin:2.2.2:process-asciidoc
(operations-guide) on project jetty-documentation: Execution
operations-guide of goal
org.asciidoctor:asciidoctor-maven-plugin:2.2.2:process-asciidoc failed:
Unable to load the mojo 'process-asciidoc' (or one of its required
components) from the plugin
'org.asciidoctor:asciidoctor-maven-plugin:2.2.2':
com.google.inject.ProvisionException: Unable to provision, see the
following errors:
[ERROR]
[ERROR] 1) Error in custom provider, java.lang.IllegalStateException
[ERROR]   at
org.apache.maven.session.scope.internal.SessionScopeModule.configure(SessionScopeModule.java:64)
(via modules: org.eclipse.sisu.wire.WireModule ->
org.apache.maven.session.scope.internal.SessionScopeModule)
[ERROR]   while locating org.apache.maven.execution.MavenSession
[ERROR]     for field at
org.asciidoctor.maven.AsciidoctorMojo.session(Unknown Source)
[ERROR]   while locating org.asciidoctor.maven.AsciidoctorMojo
[ERROR]   at
ClassRealm[plugin>org.asciidoctor:asciidoctor-maven-plugin:2.2.2, parent:
org.mvndaemon.mvnd.common.MavenDaemon$1@3f2a3a5] (via modules:
org.eclipse.sisu.wire.WireModule ->
org.eclipse.sisu.plexus.PlexusBindingModule)
[ERROR]   while locating org.apache.maven.plugin.Mojo annotated with
@com.google.inject.name.Named(value="org.asciidoctor:asciidoctor-maven-plugin:2.2.2:process-asciidoc")
[ERROR]
[ERROR] 1 error
[ERROR]       role: org.apache.maven.plugin.Mojo
[ERROR]   roleHint:
org.asciidoctor:asciidoctor-maven-plugin:2.2.2:process-asciidoc
[ERROR] -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e
switch.
[ERROR]
please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginContainerException
[ERROR]
[ERROR] After correcting the problems, you can resume the build with the
command

building from sources

I never succeeded to get this IT test passing

MojoStarted{artifactId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin',
pluginGroupId='org.apache.maven.plugins',
pluginArtifactId='maven-invoker-plugin', pluginVersion='3.2.1', mojo='run',
executionId='integration-test'}

ProjectLogMessage{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin', message='[*INFO*]
'}

ProjectLogMessage{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin',
message='[*INFO*] *---
*maven-invoker-plugin:3.2.1:run *(integration-test)* @
invoker-hello-maven-plugin* ---*'}

ProjectLogMessage{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin', message='[*INFO*]
Building: *invoke-hello/pom.xml*'}

ProjectLogMessage{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin', message='[*INFO*]
run post-build script verify.groovy'}

ProjectLogMessage{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin', message='[*INFO*]
The post-build script did not succeed. assert Files.exists(helloPath)

             |      |

             false
/Volumes/workspace/softs/mvndaemon/sources/maven-mvnd-0.8.0/integration-tests/target/mvnd-tests/InvokerTest/project/target/it/invoke-hello/target/hello.txt'}

ProjectLogMessage{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin', message='[*INFO*]
        invoke-hello/pom.xml ............................. *FAILED* (0.7
s)'}

ProjectLogMessage{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin', message='[*INFO*]
*-------------------------------------------------*'}

ProjectLogMessage{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin', message='[*INFO*]
Build Summary:'}

ProjectLogMessage{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin', message='[*INFO*]
Passed: 0, Failed: 1, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0'}

ProjectLogMessage{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin', message='[*INFO*]
*-------------------------------------------------*'}

ProjectLogMessage{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin', message='[*ERROR*]
The following builds failed:'}

ProjectLogMessage{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin', message='[*ERROR*]
*  invoke-hello/pom.xml'}

ProjectLogMessage{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin', message='[*INFO*]
*-------------------------------------------------*'}

ProjectStopped{payload='invoker-hello-maven-plugin'}

ExecutionFailure{projectId='invoker-hello-maven-plugin', halted=true,
exception='org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed
to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-invoker-plugin:3.2.1:run
*(integration-test)* on project invoker-hello-maven-plugin: *1 build
failed. See console output above for details.*'}

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1

it worked on a few tests: really nice

I was able to rebuild everything from source distribution:

- the source distribution: I provided a PR to fix missing executable flags

- the libmvndnative from native: there is only the Linux x86 binary that does not results in the same as the cached binary
Given the view in Git, I suppose you missed to commit it when you did the rebuild after making it reproducible [1]
One remark is that your release script is also expected to rebuild and commit: if it did not commit this one, I suppose this part does not work :)

- the GraalVM native image, which is not yet reproducible, we'll see that later...

really nice: what a first release at ASF!!!

we'll need to define how to link mvnd from https://maven.apache.org/

Regards,

Hervé

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven-mvnd/tree/master/native/src/main/resources/org/mvndaemon/mvnd/nativ/Linux