Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Stefan Burkard <ne...@burknet.ch> on 2004/12/07 15:23:43 UTC

auto-version-values

hi slide-users

ok, because my post about versioning ends up in a huge discussion about
other things, i make a new one :-)

i'm now a step ahead (thanks to warwick burrows). i set the following in
domain.xml:
<parameter name="auto-version">checkout</parameter>
<parameter name="auto-version-control">true</parameter>

when i put a new file in the repository i do a put, and right after
that, i'm doing about 20 proppatches. finally, i do a manual checkin.

result: 2 (equal) versions in "history" and a current one in "files". i
guess that i always have the current version in history too, have i?

question: why have i got two equal versions in history? are they created
on (automatical) checkout and (manual) checkin?

and second question: warwick burrows wrote "... disable auto-versioning
altogether and do both checkout and checkin yourself..."
how can i do this? set "auto-version-control" to false or "auto-version"
to an empty string?

thanks and greetings
stefan

Re: auto-version-values

Posted by Tim Frank <tf...@registrar.uoguelph.ca>.
Stefan,

Stefan Burkard wrote on 07/12/04 11:00 AM:

> ---> ok, thanks for the advice. additionally i saw that the
> double-version only occurs when i first put in the document. when i put
> in a new version of an existing doc, it just creates ONE new version.

Hmm, maybe this wasn't what I thought it was, but I guess that might
depend on which client you used to create the document. I think I'd only
ever seen 1 version created myself, but I honestly wasn't paying that
much attention.

> just two other questions:
> - what are the consequences for dumb-client-documents that are checked
> out (automatically), but not checked in (manually) again?

The consequence would be that a dumb client would never be able to
actually create a new version of your document. You would have to
perform the checking from a "smart client". This is normally not a
problem if you have some sort of CMS/workflow interface to control the
checkin features. You could leverage the "ease of use" of web folders or
the KDE webdav:// protocol for day-to-day updates rather than a clunky
web interface.

I have had locking issues with dumb clients though, so if something gets
locked by a smart client after an auto-checkout it will automatically
get checked-in when the lock is removed again from the smart client.
This is per the spec, but not always desired program behaviour.

Long and the short of it, use a smart client for all
checkout/checkin/uncheckout/locking.

> - what is the versioncontrol-method for? to activate and disactivate
> version-controlling on a document?

If you don't use the "auto-version-control" parameter, yes, this is the
method that would be called to place a resource under version control.
We had an earlier discussion about how to take a resource out of version
control and I think the consensus was you "couldn't". I think you would
have to create a new resource that was specifically not under version
and fill the contents/metadata from the last version.

I have spent quite a bit of time investigating how all of these
properties work with or against each other. The gist of everything is
that dumb clients just mess everything up or make things more
complicated. The only upside is easier use by the end user because you
can have drag-drop, remote editing, remote saving, etc.

I think you are wading your way through :)

Tim

Re: auto-version-values

Posted by Stefan Burkard <ne...@burknet.ch>.
Tim Frank wrote:
> If you leave the auto-version parameter blank, empty, no value then
> NOTHING will happen automatically. I will mention that you should be
> careful with understanding how these parameters work with "dumb" webdav
> clients such as Windows WebFolders. The dumb behaviour is to
> automatically overwrite whatever is "live" as there is no
> checkout/checking issued. I would recommend using the "checkout" option
> for that reason, as a safeguard.
---> ok, thanks for the advice. additionally i saw that the
double-version only occurs when i first put in the document. when i put
in a new version of an existing doc, it just creates ONE new version.

just two other questions:
- what are the consequences for dumb-client-documents that are checked
out (automatically), but not checked in (manually) again?
- what is the versioncontrol-method for? to activate and disactivate
version-controlling on a document?

> There is a duplicate of the file created in history to allow the
> uncheckout command to function. Uncheckout is like undo. You can
> checkout a file, do 20 changes on it, then decide "No, I really don't
> want to save those changes for this version", so you issue the
> uncheckout command to rollback to the last good copy from the history.
---> understand, thanks a lot!

stefan

RE: auto-version-values

Posted by Miguel Figueiredo <mf...@maisis.pt>.
 Hello Stefan,

 Adding to Tim's response, the propatch commands does not change the file
content, but just it's metadata, witch is also being versioned but in the
associated xml file of versioning, inside the metainfo store. It's pretty
easy to confirm this if your metadata store is a txfilestore.

 Hope this helps,
 Miguel Figueiredo

If you leave the auto-version parameter blank, empty, no value then
NOTHING will happen automatically. I will mention that you should be
careful with understanding how these parameters work with "dumb" webdav
clients such as Windows WebFolders. The dumb behaviour is to
automatically overwrite whatever is "live" as there is no
checkout/checking issued. I would recommend using the "checkout" option
for that reason, as a safeguard.

There is a duplicate of the file created in history to allow the
uncheckout command to function. Uncheckout is like undo. You can
checkout a file, do 20 changes on it, then decide "No, I really don't
want to save those changes for this version", so you issue the
uncheckout command to rollback to the last good copy from the history.

Hope that helps.

Tim

Re: auto-version-values

Posted by Tim Frank <tf...@registrar.uoguelph.ca>.