Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by er...@jpox.org on 2005/12/22 20:36:57 UTC

InstanceLifecycleListener on detached instances

Hi,

Instance lifecycle listeners are only invoked if a PM is involved, but for
detached instances none are called. The dirty listener is one that IMO could be
called for detached instances. It means during detachment, a Dirty listener is
assigned from the attached to the detached instance.

Any thoughts?

Re: InstanceLifecycleListener on detached instances

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Erik,

Ah. I missed the context earlier. I don't see any technical issues.

My biggest concern is that it's getting late in the cycle to add new
features.

What do other experts think? Is it worthwhile to open the spec for this?

Craig

On Dec 28, 2005, at 2:58 AM, erik@jpox.org wrote:

> Craig,
>
> A callback called when a detached instance is changed. (gets dirty)
>
> Regards,
>
> Quoting Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>:
>
>> Hi Erik,
>>
>> JDO 2 did not define any additional instance lifecycle callbacks, so
>> there are none for JDO 2 features.
>>
>> The dirty callback is executed during a lifecycle change from clean
>> to dirty, so it's not really suitable.
>>
>> What problem are you trying to solve?
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> On Dec 22, 2005, at 11:36 AM, erik@jpox.org wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Instance lifecycle listeners are only invoked if a PM is involved,
>>> but for
>>> detached instances none are called. The dirty listener is one that
>>> IMO could be
>>> called for detached instances. It means during detachment, a Dirty
>>> listener is
>>> assigned from the attached to the detached instance.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Craig Russell
>> jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Craig Russell

Posted by er...@jpox.org.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Erik,

JDO 2 did not define any additional instance lifecycle callbacks, so
there are none for JDO 2 features.

The dirty callback is executed during a lifecycle change from clean
to dirty, so it's not really suitable.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Craig

On Dec 22, 2005, at 11:36 AM, erik@jpox.org wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Instance lifecycle listeners are only invoked if a PM is involved,
> but for
> detached instances none are called. The dirty listener is one that
> IMO could be
> called for detached instances. It means during detachment, a Dirty
> listener is
> assigned from the attached to the detached instance.
>
> Any thoughts?

Craig Russell