Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Duru Can Celasun <ca...@dcc.im> on 2020/10/03 16:10:11 UTC

Re: Your project's website

Hi Andrew,

Any news on this? How should we proceed?

Cheers,
Can

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I think the README covers pretty much everything you're probably looking for.
https://github.com/apache/thrift-website/blob/main/README.md

Specifically, it contains:
1. instructions on how to set up your local environment with all the
prerequisites
2. specific commands to run to test locally
3. explanation about automatic staging of stuff committed to the main
branch (so you never actually *need* to build locally)
4. instructions on how to publish the staged site to production

Re: Your project's website

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Duru Can Celasun <dc...@apache.org>.

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Mario Emmenlauer <ma...@emmenlauer.de>.
Hi guys,

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Duru Can Celasun <dc...@apache.org>.

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Duru Can Celasun <dc...@apache.org>.

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Mario Emmenlauer <ma...@emmenlauer.de>.

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 1:50 PM Duru Can Celasun <dc...@apache.org> wrote:

> Apologies, I thought I was replying to Andrew and I only just now realize it was Christopher. My point stands though, if there is an easier/preferred way to do this just let me know and we'll do that.

No problem. :)

[SNIP]
> > I'm not a designer and I know nothing about frontend development.

That's totally fine. I'm not a designer either. I was more commenting
to address the "readiness" of the site. If the look/feel are okay to
the Thrift PMC, then that should be enough to be "ready" to replace
the existing site. I don't know where they stand (again, I'm not even
a committer on the project... just offering feedback). :)

[SNIP]
> > That was always the intention, as stated in the original Jira issue
> > [1]. In fact, I've provided build instructions that can be used by
> > INFRA.

As far as I'm aware, INFRA would not be the ones who need those
instructions, but the Thrift committers who will be responsible for
setting up the build and maintaining it. Can you link to those
instructions here? I couldn't find them. Maybe I can suggest a way it
can be automated. At the very least, I want to try to build it locally
to see how it works.

[SNIP]
> > Thanks for the link. I'm not familiar with this but if INFRA could
> > create a thrift-website repo for us on Github I'd be happy to take a
> > look.

A Thrift PMC member can create the repo themselves using the
self-serve tool (http://selfserve.apache.org/). I definitely recommend
having the website in a separate repo from the main code base, just
because it's easier to track pull requests that way, and so people
contributing to one don't have to clone all the commits for the other.

[SNIP]
> > I'm more than happy to do it your way, especially if you think it'd be
> > easier. My one concern is that the current CMS content isn't exactly
> > great and my RTD version has improvements, but we can sort that later.
> > How should we proceed?

Well, ultimately, the decision is up to the Thrift PMC. I can only
offer suggestions and opinions, as I'm neither a PMC member nor a
committer for Thrift. The CMS content may not be "great" as is, but it
is  what is there and working now, and its static HTML and/or basic
Markdown is 99% compatible with Jekyll's Markdown, so it's easy to
convert while preserving the existing site look and feel... just to
get off of CMS as quickly as possible. However, since I'm not a
committer for Thrift, there's little I can do to actually make it
happen. *IF* the PMC wants to go that route to get things done
quickly, I can convert over the Markdown this week, and put it in my
own repo for them to use directly, but I don't want to do that effort
if that's not what they want to do. If they want to go with
readthedocs to replace the site look and feel at the same time as
getting off of CMS (rather than two steps), then I'd rather spend my
effort trying to help you (since you're a PMC member working on this)
get the builds automated and an .asf.yaml file in place to trigger the
publication.

Gavin also suggested another option, which would basically be doing
*both* options... a regular site and a readthedocs site with a
docs.thrift.apache.org CNAME. If that's the route that the PMC wants
to do, then it makes sense to just deal with converting over the CMS
content as I suggested first, and then working on getting the
readthedocs site on the CNAME after that.

Whatever the PMC wants to do, the sooner it is decided, the more I can
help make it happen as a mere contributor. :)

Christopher

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I'd like to cite a couple of example usage of a 'standard' ASF Compliant website + readthedocs usage

Here are two examples:-

libcloud.apache.org
cloudstack.apache.org

Both of those projects have content , built however they want, and the code for the 'website' part can indeed be hosted on Github, with for example a .asf.yaml file in place which would then allow the site to be built and deployed upon commit. (building could trigger a Jenkins build for example, a Github Action, or other methods)

The content of the above websites include the project logo, project description, links to required other areas of the ASF such as The Apache License, Thanks page, how to donate, etc.
They also include project information, such as where to find the mailing lists, how to sign up, where to read the list archives, who the project committers/pmc are, a page describing the latest releases , where to download them from and a cgi pointing folks to their nearest download mirror. Plus more stuff.

What they, and all other project websites have in common is, they are deployed and housed on ASF controlled hardware, that Infra maintains and can therefore control reliability and uptime etc. We can not rely on 3rd party hosting for the 'main' project website.

As for the 'readthedocs' component of the above two sites, they link 'Documentation' to readthedocs and both have also CNAMES in place such as 'docs.libcloud.apache.org' points to 'https://libcloud.readthedocs.io/en/stable/' , whilst 'docs.cloudstack.apache.org' redirects to readthedocs whilst retaining that url. How they generate and upload those docs to readthedocs.org is a question to ask those communities, I know of other ASF projects that use Github and/or Jenkins to build those docs and use a readthedocs token (we'd place on a github repo or jenkins for you) to upload. Github Actions is also a possibility.

I have looked over the thrift.apache.org website, and there is much that can remain, we just need to get you off the CMS and onto another method for you publishing that to thrift.apache.org, various methods are supported and this is what we should thrash out on the Infra ticket. Some of this content on thrift.apache.org could be transferred to generated docs for readthedocs.org. We would also be happy to create a CMAME of docs.thrift.apache.org to point there, and you can use a Documentation page/link on the main website to point users there for the bulk of the Thrift documentation.

Hope that all makes sense. Infra are here to help get you off of the CMS is our main concern at this time.

Gavin (ASF Infra Team)

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Duru Can Celasun <dc...@apache.org>.

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Duru Can Celasun <dc...@apache.org>.
Andrew,

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Can,

The official site for Apache Thrift is located at thrift.apache.org
It is the sources for that site that needs to move away from CMS. It
is not sufficient to create a new site located elsewhere to address
the CMS issue.

While this "readthedocs" site looks good, it is missing some key
things required for ASF projects... like the mandatory foundation
links and copyright footer information (see
https://whimsy.apache.org/site/project/thrift). I also think it
doesn't look quite as good as the current site's layout, but that's
probably personal taste. It might also be a problem that it has ads on

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Duru Can Celasun <dc...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrew,

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <an...@apache.org>.
Hi, Can:

Re: Your project's website

Posted by Andrew Wetmore <an...@apache.org>.
I'm not sure I saw your report before. If you sent it to the list I may
have missed it. Let me look into this and consult the team.