Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2011/07/15 10:23:27 UTC

RedHat and mod_jk

Hi.

Recently, other people and myself were looking for a pre-packaged mod_jk binary for a
RedHat RHELS system.

As a result of some investigation (by Mark Eggers on one side, and an independent sysadmin
of my customer on the other side), things seem to boil down to (largely quoted) :

"
In the RedHat product "Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server" (RHELS), there is no repository
containing a pre-packaged mod_jk module.

To obtain such a package, the client has to purchase the separate RedHat package "JBoss
Enterprise Web Server", which contains mod_jk.
"

I would suppose that RedHat has good lawyers, and that they are "allowed" to do such a
thing.  Personally, I find this a bit "cheeky", specially from a company that presents
itself as a champion of Open Source.
It is not an unmitigated feeling, because on the other hand I also recognise that mod_jk
is a complex piece of software, and that supporting it for customers certainly has a cost.

But whatever the real merits of my personal feelings in the matter,
there are people (even sysadmins) who are comfortable with the idea of installing a
software package from sources; but there are also many people who simply do not have the
time to go through the hassle, and people who are uncomfortable with the installation of
such packages (because of maintenance reasons, patches etc.), and people who are just not
allowed to install anything that is not part of the standard corporate repository.

In the practice thus, it probably means that a number of people will no longer use mod_jk
on RHEL systems in the future, and I find this a pity, because even from a purely
technical point of view, it is always better to have some alternatives.  And there are
things which you can do with mod_jk, which you cannot with mod_proxy_ajp and/or
mod_proxy_http (and probably vice-versa).

Anyway, I wonder if anyone here has another opinion on the matter.

Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by Leon Kolchinsky <lk...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On RedHat installation of mod_jk is as easy as:

1.
# yum install httpd httpd-devel gcc gcc-c++

2.
Go to http://tomcat.apache.org/download-connectors.cgi and download the
source code (I'm giving an example with 1.2.31 version)
# wget
http://apache.mirror.aussiehq.net.au//tomcat/tomcat-connectors/jk/source/jk-1.2.31/tomcat-connectors-1.2.31-src.tar.gz
3.
# tar -xvzf tomcat-connectors-1.2.31-src.tar.gz

Read docs/webserver_howto/apache.html or native/BUILDING.txt for options.

# cd tomcat-connectors-1.2.31-src/native/
# which apxs
# ./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --enable-api-compatibility
# make
# make install

You don't need any Java packages for that.

Also my way of installing JAVA on RedHat (Since many Apps support only Sun's
JDK/JRE):

JAVA INSTALLATION:
------------------
1. Go to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.htmland
download latest Self Extracting Installer.

Put it all under /opt or any other dir. you choose.
[root@vera126 downloads]# ls -l /opt
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  85052342 May 19 11:15 jdk-6u25-linux-i586.bin
[root@vera126 downloads]# cd /opt

# sh jdk-6u25-linux-i586.bin
# ln -s jdk1.6.0_25 jdk

# updatedb;locate javac |grep bin
/opt/jdk1.6.0_25/bin/javac
2.
Here /opt/jdk is the actual JAVA_HOME for your machine. Note this as you
will need it to run the following commands.

alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/jdk/bin/java 100
alternatives --install /usr/bin/jar jar /opt/jdk/bin/jar 100
alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /opt/jdk/bin/javac 100

3.
Finally you should configure alternative to use Sun's JVM as the default
JVM. To do this type:
# /usr/sbin/alternatives --config java

4.
In the future when we update Java, we only need to update this symlink (for
JAVA_HOME)
/opt/jdk

5.
Last check:
[root@vera126 opt]# java -version
java version "1.6.0_25"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode, sharing)

I've already seen members of this list giving good tips on that.

Cheers,
Leon Kolchinsky

Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by Dark Before Dawn <da...@gmail.com>.
After some API reading I found getResourcePaths().
http://download.oracle.com/javaee/1.3/api/javax/servlet/ServletContext.html#getResourcePaths%28java.lang.String%29

Cheers
Darky

    Hi there,
    I am trying to list files and directories within an war-file i.e
    images/summer2010 images/winter2010. The war-file is deployed on a
    tomcat 7 instance with unpackWARs="false".
    Since I have no exposed filesystem getRealPath will return null. So
    I tried to use getResourceAsStream wich works fine for files but not
    for directories.
    My other idea was to use getResource and URL/URI to get a
    java.io.File via JNDI. But this file is not a file nor a directory.
    Cheers
    Darky

RE: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by "Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2" <jo...@navy.mil>.
FYI...

I got the S.A. to compile Apache, and then to compile mod_jk.  It works, just like you guys said that it would.  Thanks for ALL of your help!  :-)

JL

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
>>  On 7/16/2011 12:50 AM, Mark Eggers wrote:
>>>  I've been successful in the past in getting permission to build
> critical components locally. I've also been in environments where this was
> strictly forbidden, even at the expense of not meeting business requirements
> and/or exposing the infrastructure to known security risks. Meeting requirements
> is preferred (in my book).
>>>
>>>  It also appears that more and more admins are uncomfortable with
> building, installing, and then managing systems with locally installed software.
> This goes back to the challenge that the
>>>  original poster had. Why an admin would balk at learning how to do
>>>  this is another question . . .
>>
>>  Fortunately for me, I'm the admin *and* I get to make these kinds of
>>  decisions.
>>
>>  I just don't feel like keeping MySQL up-to-date myself. :)
>>

> A reason why admins "balk" may be because they are asked to take care
> of more and more systems (due to virtualisation e.g.), and can no longer afford
> to spend the time to do that.
>
> Anyway, whatever their reasons, a number of admins will not do it, and the
> practical consequence in this case will be a decrease of the usage of mod_jk.
>
> The basic point is : mod_jk is not included in the RedHat standard Apache/Tomcat
> packages.
> But maybe this is just an oversight of RedHat, and maybe with a little nudge,
> they may be persuaded to include it again.
> Does anyone know how one would go about trying to nudge them in this direction ?
>
> Alternatively, what would it take for mod_jk to be (maybe again) part of the
> standard Apache httpd distribution ? (so that these "packagers" would
> include it in the next Apache httpd packaged version without even having to
> think about it).

I noticed that it's not a part of the Fedora (basically RedHat's test platform) distribution either.

If it's a part of the Apache HTTPD distribution, more Linux distributions might pick it up. Just glancing at my installation, it seems that modules not shipped with Fedora's packaging are modules that are separate from Apache HTTPD (with the notable exception of mod_ssl).

For RedHat, the process is roughly:

1) Get the new code accepted upstream.
2) Get it included in Fedora.
3) Get it included in Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

This is taken from a RedHat magazine article, and discusses bug fixes, new features, and new packages. I'm guessing that item 1) applies to bug fixes and new features.

So, possibly getting the Fedora team to accept an RPM for mod_jk would be the place to start. They'll probably want a 32-bit, 64-bit, and source packages. They'll also probably want a maintainer for those packages.

The IRC channel #fedora-devel on FreeNode might be a good place to start. I don't know how other distributions are handled.

Chris, I'm just a lowly systems architect (have been an admin in a former life). Building MySQL was always low on my list of things to do. However, it never seemed as difficult as building PHP :-p.

Andre, managing lots of configurations is a pain. I've used custom processes/tools as well as commercial tools. Nothing seems to work effortlessly ;-). So mod_jk builds may be the (very lightweight) straw that breaks an admin's back.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/

Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
Posted by Thad Humphries <th...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Thad,
>
> On 7/15/2011 9:59 PM, Thad Humphries wrote:
> > If you rely on RedHat, Novell, OpenSuSE, Unbuntu, etc. you can wait
> > for some things until you are old and gray.
>
> Sing it. We're stuck on MySQL 5.0 in production because of this very
> fact. Sometimes I pine for the days of Gentoo. Only sometimes.
>
> > Worse is to have some update that you haven't screened stomp on
> > something you need.

Right, but when I roll my own, I can more easily keep multiple versions of a
program--Apache, Tomcat, Java, Firebird RDBMS, etc. and switch between them
if need be. (Life, however, has become easier since someone else here took
over the database stuff. Now I just run whatever version of Firebird
OpenSuSE is installing, and let production worry the final version.)

> Most package managers have provisions for holding a package (or the
> whole repo) at a certain level.
>
> Actually, the really nice thing about Debian, for instance, is that
> their releases are all stable (assuming you don't follow Sid like an
> idiot): you should never get stomped with anything. The bad news is that
> you have to wait for a major upgrade in order to get that next version
> of whatever - like MySQL 5.1 :(
>
> - -chris

Marlowe, *Doctor Faustus* (v, 121-24)

Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by Thad Humphries <th...@gmail.com>.
It's been my experience that it's best *not* to rely on the distro for any
mission critical piece of software. Either download the binary from a
trusted source or build it yourself.  If you rely on RedHat, Novell,
OpenSuSE, Unbuntu, etc. you can wait for some things until you are old and
gray. Worse is to have some update that you haven't screened stomp on
something you need.

Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.

Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
not having (publicly available) apt/rpm package for at least one of the mod_jk distros will cause RH to lose market-share

Martin --
Note de déni et de confidentialité

Re: RedHat and mod_jk

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.