Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/16 21:49:56 UTC

Fwd: Whimsy templated resolution support

Responding here.  This is very nice.  Big help.  I have a couple of
questions.

 1. What universe do you use for populating the new chair lists for
    change chair or establish TLP.  Is this like all of ldap?  The
    change chair does not seem to have many people in it.
 2. How does access work (i.e. who gets which buttons?)

Phil

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
adding back in board-chat as I am going to suggest changing how
officers and members add items to an agenda.

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 6:22 PM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My only other feedback when I first looked at it was "add item" was
> not obviously all of the possible things to add; but when I think
> about it now it makes sense.  As we add more capabilities like this,
> though, we should think more about how to effectively train PMC
> chairs to know what they can do / how to do it or continue to
> innovate the UI so that it is really obvious.  One could argue that
> most of it is obvious now.

As a follow up - I'd like to move towards deprecating people adding
items directly in SVN.

The root problem here is that the agenda is a loosely structured text
file and contains data that various tools wish to parse.

In the June agenda, there are already two items that are incorrectly
indented (but caught by the whimsy board agenda tool) and a third item
which was added but doesn't show up in the agenda at all (an
out-of-cycle incubator report - missing things like a shepherd and
even a proper attachment number.

As to your comment, I'm not always the best judge as to what is
obvious.  If we get more people to use these functions, questions
undoubtedly will come up, and resolving those questions often leads to
changes in the UI.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  posting and editing reports, and doing things adding comments or
approvals generally don't cause problems, so I don't see a need to
discourage people doing these things directly in SVN.  It is just
adding new items that has been consistently problematic.

Re: Whimsy templated resolution support

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 4/16/18 3:11 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 5:49 PM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Responding here.  This is very nice.  Big help.  I have a couple of
>> questions.
>>
>>  1. What universe do you use for populating the new chair lists for
>>     change chair or establish TLP.  Is this like all of ldap?  The
>>     change chair does not seem to have many people in it.
> Change chair: members of the PMC.

Right.  That makes sense.

> Establish PMC: all committers.

+1

>>  2. How does access work (i.e. who gets which buttons?)
> All officers and members have access to these forms, and (unlike other
> forms) the buttons don't vary based on who is accessing the form.  My
> thoughts are that every ASF member and officer have access to the
> underlying svn repository and can author a resolution, and I don't see
> any reason for whimsy to further limit access.
>
> The one thing that does change is the order of PMCs in dropdowns: in
> general the order is PMCs that you are currently the chair of,
> followed by PMCs that you are a member of, followed by all the rest of
> the PMCs.  And the dropdown for new chair will default to you if you
> are a member of the PMC and not the current chair.  But these are just
> defaults.

+1

Thanks again.  This is very useful.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 5:49 PM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Responding here.  This is very nice.  Big help.  I have a couple of
> questions.
>
>  1. What universe do you use for populating the new chair lists for
>     change chair or establish TLP.  Is this like all of ldap?  The
>     change chair does not seem to have many people in it.

Change chair: members of the PMC.

Establish PMC: all committers.

>  2. How does access work (i.e. who gets which buttons?)

All officers and members have access to these forms, and (unlike other
forms) the buttons don't vary based on who is accessing the form.  My
thoughts are that every ASF member and officer have access to the
underlying svn repository and can author a resolution, and I don't see
any reason for whimsy to further limit access.

The one thing that does change is the order of PMCs in dropdowns: in
general the order is PMCs that you are currently the chair of,
followed by PMCs that you are a member of, followed by all the rest of
the PMCs.  And the dropdown for new chair will default to you if you
are a member of the PMC and not the current chair.  But these are just
defaults.

> Phil

- Sam Ruby