Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org> on 2016/10/15 19:15:48 UTC

what is the jre environment looking for?

Hi all,

First, thanks for all the helpful advice I've gotten on this list over the
years.

After re-installing my os (freebsd 10.3), aoo (4.1.2), mysql (5.6),
and java (openjdk7, 8) when I attempt to open a database I get the
message
  "No Java installation found..."
ok...

The
  Tools/Options/OpenOffice/Java
dialog shows no installed jre.
I presume this is because they are installed in /usr/local/openjdkx
which is not the standard linux place.

However, when I go to add a JRE, it complains about the folder I selected
not containing a java runtime environment.

Which folder should I be pointing at?
I've tried
  /usr/local/openjdk7
  /usr/local/openjdk7/jre
  /usr/local/openjdk7/lib
  /usr/local/openjdk7/bin
  /usr/local/openjdk7-jre
  /usr/local/openjdk7-jre/bin
  /usr/local/openjdk7-jre/lib

What, specifically, is it looking for to detect a jre?
I've tried installing only the jre port, /usr/local/openjdk7-jre,
but pointing at it doesn't help either.

Thanks,

Gary

Re: what is the jre environment looking for?

Posted by Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org>.
On 10/15/16 18:14, Girvin R. Herr wrote:

> On 10/15/2016 12:38 PM, Gary Aitken wrote:
>> On 10/15/16 13:15, Gary Aitken wrote:
>>
>>> After re-installing my os (freebsd 10.3), aoo (4.1.2), mysql
>>> (5.6), and java (openjdk7, 8) when I attempt to open a database I
>>> get the message "No Java installation found..." ok...
>>>
>>> The Tools/Options/OpenOffice/Java dialog shows no installed jre.
>>> I presume this is because they are installed in
>>> /usr/local/openjdkx which is not the standard linux place.
>>>
>>> However, when I go to add a JRE, it complains about the folder I
>>> selected not containing a java runtime environment.
>>>
>>> Which folder should I be pointing at? I've tried
>>> /usr/local/openjdk7 /usr/local/openjdk7/jre
>>> /usr/local/openjdk7/lib /usr/local/openjdk7/bin
>>> /usr/local/openjdk7-jre /usr/local/openjdk7-jre/bin
>>> /usr/local/openjdk7-jre/lib
>>>
>>> What, specifically, is it looking for to detect a jre? I've tried
>>> installing only the jre port, /usr/local/openjdk7-jre, but
>>> pointing at it doesn't help either.
>> It seemed to work after installing openjdk8-jre
>>
>> But the question remains, what is it looking for to identify a
>> jre? Why doesn't it identify openjdk7-jre as valid?
<snip>

> Gary, usr/local is a valid place to install programs in *nix.
> However, I have done so and found that some programs expect to be in
> /usr or expect to find programs in /usr, not /usr/local, so beware.
>
> Do you have a JAVA_HOME environment variable?  If so, what is it
> pointing to? Mine, on Slackware Linux, is pointing to /usr/lib/java .
> By what you say above, I would guess yours should be pointing to
> /usr/local/openjdk7 .  I have reluctantly installed Oracle jdk
> 1.8.0_40, so some locations may be different with openjdk7, but the
> concept should be the same.

I don't have JAVA_HOME set, but do have JAVA_VERSION set (1.7)
That may be an issue at some point, but for this particular problem
I don't think it is (since openjdk8-jre showed up ok).

> My OpenOffice java path is pointing to /usr/lib/java/jre . Normally,
> AOO searches the familiar paths for the java and posts the ones it
> finds in the  Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> Java dialog.  If a
> java is selected in that dialog, down at the bottom, it has a
> "Location" where it found it.  I would try the JAVA_HOME first, and
> if that is set properly and AOO still cannot find the java, then
> manually "Add" your java path to the dialog.

The problem is that manually adding a path doesn't work.
I have both openjdk7-jre and openjdk8-jre installed,
as well as the complete jdk7 and jdk8;
in /usr/local/openjdk7-jre and /usr/local/openjdk8-jre and
/usr/local/openjdk7 and /usr/local/openjdk8 respectively.
Aoo automagically found the jre in openjdk8-jre, but not the one
in openjdk7-jre, or the ones in the full openjdkX installs.
If I open the dialog and point it at /usr/local/openjdk7-jre,
it claims there is no valid jre there.
However, there *is* as nearly as I can tell.
In particular, /usr/local/openjdk7-jre/lib/rt.jar exists and is
readable.  Same for /usr/local/openjdk7/jre/lib/rt.jar.
Which is why I'm wondering how it determines whether a jre is present
or not.

With only JAVA_VERSION set (to 1.7), compiles and executions seem
to do the right thing:

$ java -version
openjdk version "1.7.0_91"
$ javac garya/ClassTest.java
$ ls -lt garya
total 16
-rw-r--r--  1 garya  1001  246 Oct 15 20:09 Cl.class
-rw-r--r--  1 garya  1001  533 Oct 15 20:09 ClassTest.class
-rwxr-xr-x  1 garya  1001  415 Oct 15 20:07 ClassTest.java
$ java garya.ClassTest
Hello

> Another note about java and database connectors.  I use
> mysql-connector-java-5.1.18-bin.jar to connect my AOO to my mariadb
> (mysql) server.  The jar files must be located in a specific place to
> be recognized by java (the jre).  Mine is in
> /usr/lib/java/jre/lib/ext/. , or ${JAVA_HOME}/jre/lib/ext/. .

Already have that one covered, although I'm using 5.1.37
Mine is in /usr/local/openjdkX-jre/lib/ext similar to yours,
although it is actually a symlink to an installed port; the
actual file is in /usr/local/share/java/classes/mysql-connector-java.jar

Thanks

Posted by "Girvin R. Herr" <gh...@sbcglobal.net>.

On 10/15/2016 12:38 PM, Gary Aitken wrote:
> On 10/15/16 13:15, Gary Aitken wrote:
>
>> After re-installing my os (freebsd 10.3), aoo (4.1.2), mysql (5.6),
>> and java (openjdk7, 8) when I attempt to open a database I get the
>> message
>>    "No Java installation found..."
>> ok...
>>
>> The
>>    Tools/Options/OpenOffice/Java
>> dialog shows no installed jre.
>> I presume this is because they are installed in /usr/local/openjdkx
>> which is not the standard linux place.
>>
>> However, when I go to add a JRE, it complains about the folder I selected
>> not containing a java runtime environment.
>>
>> Which folder should I be pointing at?
>> I've tried
>>    /usr/local/openjdk7
>>    /usr/local/openjdk7/jre
>>    /usr/local/openjdk7/lib
>>    /usr/local/openjdk7/bin
>>    /usr/local/openjdk7-jre
>>    /usr/local/openjdk7-jre/bin
>>    /usr/local/openjdk7-jre/lib
>>
>> What, specifically, is it looking for to detect a jre?
>> I've tried installing only the jre port, /usr/local/openjdk7-jre,
>> but pointing at it doesn't help either.
> It seemed to work after installing openjdk8-jre
>
> But the question remains, what is it looking for to identify a jre?
> Why doesn't it identify openjdk7-jre as valid?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

Gary,
usr/local is a valid place to install programs in *nix.  However, I have
done so and found that some programs expect to be in /usr or expect to
find programs in /usr, not /usr/local, so beware.

Do you have a JAVA_HOME environment variable?  If so, what is it
pointing to?
Mine, on Slackware Linux, is pointing to /usr/lib/java .  By what you
say above, I would guess yours should be pointing to /usr/local/openjdk7
.  I have reluctantly installed Oracle jdk 1.8.0_40, so some locations
may be different with openjdk7, but the concept should be the same.

My OpenOffice java path is pointing to /usr/lib/java/jre .
Normally, AOO searches the familiar paths for the java and posts the
ones it finds in the  Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice -> Java dialog.  If
a java is selected in that dialog, down at the bottom, it has a
"Location" where it found it.  I would try the JAVA_HOME first, and if
that is set properly and AOO still cannot find the java, then manually
"Add" your java path to the dialog.

Another note about java and database connectors.  I use
mysql-connector-java-5.1.18-bin.jar to connect my AOO to my mariadb
(mysql) server.  The jar files must be located in a specific place to be
recognized by java (the jre).  Mine is in /usr/lib/java/jre/lib/ext/. ,
or ${JAVA_HOME}/jre/lib/ext/. .

HTH.
Girvin Herr

Re: what is the jre environment looking for?

Posted by Gary Aitken <op...@dreamchaser.org>.