Posted to user@commons.apache.org by ji...@gmail.com on 2008/05/01 19:21:56 UTC

[httpclient] logging problems

Greetings, thanks for all your work on this project!

I'm finding that in practice the org.apache.httpclient log name is not
isolating the httpclient messages. I had to specifically use
httpclient.wire in order to hide those log messages. I've glanced
through the source code, and it doesn't *seem* that I should have to
do this.. just curious if anyone else is seeing this? I have set
org.apache = warn but still see the wire messages.

Here is the Manifest from the commons-httpclient.jar:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.7.0
Created-By: 10.0-b19 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
Extension-Name: httpclient
Specification-Vendor: Apache Software Foundation
Specification-Version: 1.0
Implementation-Vendor: Apache Software Foundation
Implementation-Version: 3.1

Thanks in advance,
-jesse

Re: [httpclient] logging problems

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 5/1/08, jieryn@gmail.com <ji...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings, thanks for all your work on this project!

<snip/>

Mailing list has moved, try the user list on this page:

  http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/mail-lists.html

-Rahul

Posted by simon <si...@chello.at>.
On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 13:21 -0400, jieryn@gmail.com wrote:
> Greetings, thanks for all your work on this project!
>
> I'm finding that in practice the org.apache.httpclient log name is not
> isolating the httpclient messages. I had to specifically use
> httpclient.wire in order to hide those log messages. I've glanced
> through the source code, and it doesn't *seem* that I should have to
> do this.. just curious if anyone else is seeing this? I have set
> org.apache = warn but still see the wire messages.
>
> Here is the Manifest from the commons-httpclient.jar:
>
> Manifest-Version: 1.0
> Ant-Version: Apache Ant 1.7.0
> Created-By: 10.0-b19 (Sun Microsystems Inc.)
> Extension-Name: httpclient
> Specification-Vendor: Apache Software Foundation
> Specification-Version: 1.0
> Implementation-Vendor: Apache Software Foundation
> Implementation-Version: 3.1
>
> Thanks in advance,

The httpclient code is now managed by a different project, with a
separate user mailing list. You should ask there for any future
questions.

But the httpclient code does indeed use the "httpclient.wire" category
for logging some messages:

~/apache/HTTPCLIENT_3_1$ find . -name "*.java" -exec grep
"httpclient.wire" {} \; -print

    public static Wire HEADER_WIRE = new
Wire(LogFactory.getLog("httpclient.wire.header"));
    public static Wire CONTENT_WIRE = new
Wire(LogFactory.getLog("httpclient.wire.content"));
./src/java/org/apache/commons/httpclient/Wire.java

Logging does not *force* code to use category names that match the class
that writes the log message; that is just a convention.

Regards,
Simon