Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Hamrick, Kevin R CTR USA FORSCOM G6" <Ke...@forscom.army.mil> on 2006/08/03 21:05:09 UTC

Invalid class loader hierarchy

Hi,

I have installed tomcat 4.1, eclipse 3.2 , a sysdeo plugin and then I
dropped in the struts-example war file. When I start up tomcat I get the
following error.

SEVERE: End event threw exception
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Invalid class
loader hierarchy. You have more than one version of
'org.apache.commons.logging.Log' visible, which is not allowed. (Caused
by org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Invalid class
loader hierarchy. You have more than one version of
'org.apache.commons.logging.Log' visible, which is not allowed.) (Caused
by org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Invalid class
loader hierarchy. You have more than one version of
'org.apache.commons.logging.Log' visible, which is not allowed. (Caused
by org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Invalid class
loader hierarchy. You have more than one version of
'org.apache.commons.logging.Log' visible, which is not allowed.))
at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImp
l.java:543)
at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImp
l.java:235)
at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImp
l.java:209)
at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:351)
at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.ConvertUtilsBean.<init>(ConvertUtilsBean.ja
va:130)
at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtilsBean.<init>(BeanUtilsBean.java:110
)
at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtilsBean$1.initialValue(BeanUtilsBean.
java:68)
at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.ContextClassLoaderLocal.get(ContextClassLoa
derLocal.java:80)
at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtilsBean.getInstance(BeanUtilsBean.jav
a:78)
at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.ConvertUtilsBean.getInstance(ConvertUtilsBe
an.java:115)
at
org.apache.commons.beanutils.ConvertUtils.convert(ConvertUtils.java:217)
at
org.apache.commons.digester.CallMethodRule.end(CallMethodRule.java:560)
at org.apache.commons.digester.Rule.end(Rule.java:230)
at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.endElement(Digester.java:1130)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.endNamespaceScope(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.handleEndElement(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.endElement(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(Unk
nown Source)
at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDis
patcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unkno
wn Source)
at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1647)
at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.defaultConfig(ContextConfig.ja
va:487)
at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.start(ContextConfig.java:578)
at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.j
ava:181)
at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSu
pport.java:119)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:3643
)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.ja
va:776)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:759)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:537)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer.install(StandardHostDeploy
er.java:260)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.install(StandardHost.java:730)
at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWARs(HostConfig.java:558)
at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:373)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:784)
at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:33
0)
at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSu
pport.java:119)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1155)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:696)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1147)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:310)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:449)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2212)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:458)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:345)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:129)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:150)...

Additionally, I can not get to the struts-example page. It shows it as
expanded in the webapps but it is not listed on my admin page of tomcat.
I am not sure if that is a related problem or not. I have tried
searching for answers but the ones I find or related to using log4j but
I am not using that (unless it is part of the packages I installed.) I
have even deleted everything and re-installed but no luck yet.

Thanks for the help