Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by yeradis <ye...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/08 20:37:09 UTC

for beginners (like me in the derby wolrd )and who want here is the easy way to create a DB - Open Office and Derby ;-)

OpenOffice and JDBC for data access
well i'm new here in the use of derby engine
and i'm a windows user adapted to the windows way (windows , frames buttons
and more, far away from the console)
and my starting point was crude because i'm a windows slave :-p
well i was looking for a GUI to create my db , my tables fields and more
i was looking for the easiest and i think is the open office the way
here are the step to use open office and derby

the url :=
http://www.eactscongenitaldb.org/docs/OpenOffice_and_JDBC_for_data_access
and the article
sorry by my english i'm cuban
ah and these work on windows too
i'm workin on the windows version for the open office version 2
OpenOffice and JDBC for data access From EACTS Congenital Database

It is possible to access the database directly from OpenOffice, using JDBC
connection. To do it, take the following steps.

   1. Backup your data. See: data
backup<http://www.eactscongenitaldb.org/docs/Data_backup>.

   2. Download and install OpenOffice 1.9 (beta) or newer. You can get it
   from [1] <http://www.openoffice.org/>. Please note that this
   instruction will not work with OpenOffice 1.x. You need version at
   least 1.9.
   3. Download Derby from
   http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html
   4. From downloaded derby archive extract file named *derby.jar* and
   place it somewhere on the hard disk. Remember where you put it.
   5. Run OpenOffice. Open tools->Options. Go to OpenOffice.org->Java.
   Click on "Class path" button. Click on "Add archive". Find and select the
   *derby.jar* file and press "Open". Press OK in Class Path window.
   Press OK in options window.
   6. Open File->New->Database
   7. Select "Connect to an existing database" and choose "JDBC"
   database. Press Next.
   8. In the "Datasource URL" type "derby:" and then (without space) the
   DataCollectionSoftware folder for data. It's normally named
   "EactsCongenitalDatabase" and placed in your home directory. It should look
   like this:

   jdbc:derby:c:\myfolder\EactsCongenitalDatabase

   9. In the "JDBC Driver Class" type exactly as shown below:

   org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver

   10. Press "Next"
   11. You don't need to type in the user name. Press "Next"
   12. Press "Finish"
   13. Type in the file name, for example "eacts_direct". Press "Save"
   14. Click on "Tables" on the left side. You should see the list of
   tables in the database.

*Warning!* You can easily damage the database by changing its contents
directly!

Above configuration was tested only on
GNU/Linux<http://www.eactscongenitaldb.org/docs/GNU/Linux>.

*Please note:* Only one program can access the database folder at a time.
This means that you can't open OpenOffice Base and EACTS Congenital Database
at the same time.

Re: for beginners (like me in the derby wolrd )and who want here is the easy way to create a DB - Open Office and Derby ;-)

Posted by yeradis <ye...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to you

really i'm so interested in derby is a shame there is no a good fronted gui
to work specifically with derby
well i'm very new with this
but i tryed eclipse plugin for derby , netbeans solutions for this
ibm csworkbench and others and they are offering to poor functionality to
this , i mean the gui tools

i think the problem is windows :-p it has me to vague is manipulating my
mind :-p ;-)

thanks again

Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 14:37:09 -0500