Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Shailesh Joshi <sh...@persistent.co.in> on 2008/02/28 11:27:06 UTC

[Help] NTLM Auth fails after disabling LM hashes of passwords

Hi.

We are using HttpClient for NTLM Authentication.

We are facing issues when we - disable the storage of LM hashes of user's
passwords. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299656)

Following steps are followed in Windows Server 2003.

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Domain Security Policy -> Local
Policies -> Security Options -> Network security: Do not store LAN Manager
Hash value on next password change. - Click Enabled and then click OK.

After setting this property, we are facing problems in NTLM authentication.

Has anyone faced similar issue? Is there any dependency of HttpClient with
LM Hashes?

Thanks and Regards,

Shailesh

DISCLAIMER
==========

Re: [Help] NTLM Auth fails after disabling LM hashes of passwords

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 15:57 +0530, Shailesh Joshi wrote:
> Hi.
>
> We are using HttpClient for NTLM Authentication.
>
> We are facing issues when we - disable the storage of LM hashes of user's
> passwords. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299656)
>

> Following steps are followed in Windows Server 2003.
>

> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Domain Security Policy -> Local
> Policies -> Security Options -> Network security: Do not store LAN Manager
> Hash value on next password change. - Click Enabled and then click OK.
>

> After setting this property, we are facing problems in NTLM authentication.
>
> Has anyone faced similar issue? Is there any dependency of HttpClient with
> LM Hashes?

I believe this effectively disables NTLMv1 support, the only version of
NTLM protocol HttpClient 3.x can interoperate with. For details see

http://wiki.apache.org/HttpComponents/FrequentlyAskedNTLMQuestions

Oleg