Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/16 06:38:44 UTC

Text for main page of Tuscany website

 Hi,
I am following the chapter in this book (http://producingoss.com/) that
explains how to create an effective website, pages 22-25. It suggests that a
good website provides the following information upfront

1) A clear mission statement
2) States whether this open source is free or not and what license it is
under
3) It's content is progressive. It allows the reader to learn more as he
reads more.

Based on this guideline I re-wrote the text  on Tuscany website's main page
as follows.  It can still be improved. Would you review and comment please?
Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Start
of website
text--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Apache Tuscany free open source project that is licensed
under version 2 of the Apache
License<http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0_>.
This project is currently in incubation within the Apache incubator.

The aim of the Apache Tuscany is to create, as a community, the
infrastructure that simplifies the development of business solutions based
on Service Oriented Architecture (SOA). Users of Apache Tuscany can create
SOA based solutions by combining new or existing services with little or no
programming. They can also alter the solutions easily when business
requirements change.

The Tuscany project does this by providing implementations for the Service
Component Architecture (SCA) and Service Data Objects (SDO) specifications
and by providing a Data Access Service that supports SDO.  Specifications
for SDO and SCA can be found on www.osoa.org. Tuscany integrates with well
established Web Services and server technologies such as Apache Axis2,
Apache Tomcat and Geronimo.

A high level view of the Tuscany runtime is shown below. You can click on
the diagram to learn more about specific technologies. Tuscany is supported
in Java and C++.

<Diagram goes here>

Re: Text for main page of Tuscany website

Posted by Kevin Williams <ke...@qwest.net>.
We should be clear that Tuscany provides a DAS implementation for access
to relational data in terms of SDO.  We plan for a declarative
capability as well as implementations for other data sources but we are
not there yet.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
It seems logicial to introduce the project first and then display a diagram.
This would be the first time users learn about Tuscany.

Have we decided which diagram we'd like to settle on? There were two posted
with David's prototype.
Haleh

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
Here is the final text for the website main page (including Sebastien's
comments).
Can someone please post it on the website while we are waiting for David to
complete the prototype?

Welcome to the Apache Tuscany free open source project that is licensed
under version 2 of the Apache
License<http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0_>. This project is
currently in incubation within the Apache incubator.

The aim of the Apache Tuscany project is to create, as a community, a robust
infrastructure that simplifies the development of SOA-based systems.

Apache Tuscany is based on independent technologies that together provide
one complete infrastructure which caters to this goal. This includes the
following:

·         Service Component Architecture (SCA) enables composition of
service networks through assembly of existing and new services. As an
example, a service can be a webservice.

Tuscany SCA allows services to be implemented in variety of languages such
as Java, JavaScript and C++. Tuscany SCA runtime is implemented in Java and
C++ and can easily be extended to support any communication transport,
qualities of service or programming model and can be used in conjunction
with other technologies such as Spring, Axis and Celtix.

·         Service Data Object (SDO) provides a uniform interface for
handling different forms of data, including XML documents, that can exist in
a network of services and provides the mechanism for tracking changes in
data. Apache Tuscany provides Java and C++ implementations for SDO.

·          Data Access Service (DAS) provides a simple SDO interface to
relational databases. Apache Tuscany provides a Java implementation for DAS.

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
Hello Tuscany community,

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
> [...]

you already know, and will enable you to build really interesting
applications.

> Tuscany reduces development effort and cost by enabling the
> application developer to focus on addressing the business problem.
> Tuscanyconsists of the following technologies:
>

> ·         Tuscany runtime is based on Service Component
> Architecture (SCA)
> specification and provides the infrastructure for hosting and
> assembling
> services. This runtime can easily be extended to support new
> communication
> transports, qualities of service and programming models.
I'd make sure we mention C++ and Java, keeping thins simple as in:

>> - SCA-based Java and C++ runtimes for hosting and assembling services
>> which can be extended to support new communications transports,
>> qualities of service, and programming models

The Tuscany SCA runtime

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
Jim,

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.