Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2009/02/07 15:14:20 UTC

[compress] Let Archive*Stream and Compressor*Stream extend Filter*Stream

Hi,

I change ArchiveOutputStream extend FilterOutputStream while I
modified ZipArchiveOutputStream and it seems a very natural thing to
do for all the other streams as well.

All concrete compressor/archiver streams have constructors that take a
different stream as their argument and most of them store it somewhere
internally so Filter*Stream seems a natural choice.

Stefan

Re: [compress] Let Archive*Stream and Compressor*Stream extend Filter*Stream

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-02-10, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2009-02-10, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:

>> No particular objections. Not sure it helps much though :)

> True.

Actually it hurts.

Via FilterOutputStream a call to ArchiveOutputStream.flush() would
suddenly flush the wrapped stream where it had been a no-op for most
ArchiveOutputStream subclasses before.

I've reverted my changes and implemented the part of
FilterOutputStream required by ZipArchiveOutputStream - write(byte[])
- in that class.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-02-10, Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> wrote:

> No particular objections. Not sure it helps much though :)

True.

I'll probably try to find out why ZipArchiveOutputStream extended
FilterOutputStream in the first place - probably because
java.util.zip.ZipOutputStream does and Ant's class should be as close
to a drop-in replacement as it gets.

For the *InputStreams we would be able to remove some explicit
implementations of the read method(s) in some classes, so it does make
sense there.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
No particular objections. Not sure it helps much though :)

cheers
--
Torsten