Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Cristiano Costantini <cr...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/07 19:08:59 UTC

To servicemix or not to servicemix

Hi all,

as I'm waiting for Servicemix 4.6.0 to come out because it solves some
problems with the version of some bundles, I was wondering if I should move
to Karaf (2.3.3) instead on using Servicemix as the basis for my
application.

In fact I use Spring, Pax Web, Camel and CXF, and I'll probably need
ActiveMQ if I need to implement some specific EIP. I need many dependencies
from the servicemix bundles of wrapped dependencies, but I don't other
ServiceMix features, especially NMR that I understand from SMX4NMR-319 is
blocking release of 4.6.0.

What you suggest me to do?

Thank you!
Cristiano

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

Posted by Cristiano Costantini <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,
I understand that  https://github.com/savoirtech/aetos is a karaf
customized for using just Kararf, Camel, CXF and ActiveMQ, right?
I will check it and if it works this is great and it will really save me a
lot of time!

Thank you!

Posted by Mike K <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jakub Korab <ja...@gmail.com>.
I am completely new to the ServiceMix dev list, but thought that it might
be the right time to join in.

I would like to echo the sentiment that ServiceMix is a worthwhile project.
An off-the-shelf assembly of the plain old Karaf-Camel-CXF-ActiveMQ
integration stack has merit in getting newcomers working with, what is in
all fairness, a big enough stack to get your head around without the
additional vendor niceties. A set of instructions to homecook your own ESB
is a step too far for those looking to download and just get going.

If it were to go away, I think it would be to the detriment of the broader
community working around "Karaf-based ESBs", which isn't anywhere near as
catchy a search term as ServiceMix, which has a lot of mindshare. After
all, it's much easier to say "X is kind of like ServiceMix only with..."
rather than explaining your stack from scratch. If that was it's only
merit, it would still be worthwhile to push forward.

With that having been said, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring to help
push ServiceMix along, whether that be through just assembling the latest
and greatest into SMX4.x or on in working towards a new SMX5.

Cheers,

Jakub

Posted by Filippo Balicchia <fb...@gmail.com>.
First of all thanks for this discussion,

from my point of view, servicemix should continue
living for reality who needs a minimalist distro in which is possible found
some of the leading actors
like ActiveMQ, CXF and Camel in a single solution.

Ok, if one wants can do it alone ! but found it out of the box in IHMO and
very comfortable.

In servicemix 5 is possible find modules that can used to create solutions
of a certain dignity then
why throw them away ?

As for version 4 by looking at the commits I see that there is still effort.
for the maintenance, so if from users point of view there is no interest
why they keep it?

Probably time spent from core developer to keep it could be used to smx5
whose intent was to
to cut a release more quickly then now.

>From the other point view, if a structure search a esb solution That truly
had value-add.
should necessarily use the products listed in this thread.

This is IMHO

for me is +1 for maintain servicemix brand and servicemix5

Regards

--Filippo

Posted by Cristiano Costantini <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by raulk <ra...@evosent.com>.
Absolutely agree with all the positive comments on this thread!

I tend to consider SMX as a brand rather than simply a project. There's no
project called "Apache ESB" in the ASF, and IMO SMX has earned its
reputation as such over time. Folks know that SMX is the go-to project for
adopting vanilla Apache technology to solve integration problems without
resorting to vendor-specific solutions.

Hell, I would even go so far as to say that the SMX community has the
responsibility to keep the Apache brand alive in the integration market!

Please do count me in for this venture. Off the top of my head, we should
focus on these priorities for SMX5:

* Upgrade individual components to their latest versions. I would go so far
as to upgrade to Karaf 3.0.0; that's what major versions are for (SMX4 =>
SMX5). Perhaps we could do a minor release with Karaf 2.3.3.

* Revamp the website. SMX is a powerful brand, but the current website is
outdated and could do with a facelift. It doesn't convey the power of the
brand. Gert was already working on a preview. I personally love the look and
feel of the Apache Cordova site [1]. The frontpage should be clean, smart,
bold and simple. Frontend development isn't my biggest strength, but I'm
looking for an amateur project to polish my skills. This could be it!

* Define modular strategy of the project. I agree with the ideas posted
around to keep SMX to its bare minimum OOTB (Karaf, Camel, AMQ, CXF) - this
is our foundation. We shouldn't hold up a SMX release because of
non-foundational components, e.g. Activiti integration, Hibernate
integration, etc. IMHO, those should have separate lifecycles, own
versioning and they should be installed via features or via dedicated
shortcut commands (e.g. servicemix:module-install) that get translated into
feature commands.

Regards,
Raúl.

[1] http://cordova.apache.org/

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

Posted by Cristiano Costantini <cr...@gmail.com>.
Il lunedì 10 febbraio 2014, Andrew Thorburn <nz...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> The one other thing I would like to add is that I do use the NMR, simply as
> a really easy way to connect two Camel routes in separate bundles without
> the hassle of trying to configure JMS routes

Hi Andrew,
I used NMR too but now I use the Camel VM component for the same purpose.

Regards

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

Posted by Matt Wendling <mw...@ipass.com>.
Hi,

I'm also somewhat new to Servicemix and I'm finding great value in the
Karaf-camel-CXF-ActiveMq combination.  An up to date release with the
latest versions of those projects would be great.  I could certainly help
contribute as well

Matt

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 8:56 AM, Cristiano Costantini <

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

What we did there for a few other projects, is provide a
bill-of-materials POM that can be included using Maven's import scope.
It doesn't solve all the issues, but it does allow people to quickly
define managed dependencies for Camel, Karaf, CXF, ... We could fairly
easily generate such a POM file, I think.

One drawback of this approach is that it doesn't provide you with
properties that define these versions, but on the plus side, it
doesn't force users to inherit from a parent POM of ours (for which
they usually have to override things like SCM urls or Apache release
related plugins).  If we use our own examples to document the
approach, that might take us a good step in the right direction.

If that sounds OK, feel free to raise a JIRA issue for this in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SM

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen

Posted by Cristiano Costantini <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike, hi all,
Hi think this specific topic and other like this should be addressed in a
different post to reduce entropy,

I find quite hard to read the mail on this subject mixing high level
opinions on the future of ServiceMix with specific proposal of what to do
;-)

Il martedì 11 febbraio 2014, Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>
ha scritto:

> I think, the enterprise features extracted form Karaf should be still part
> of Karaf project (as a sub-project) as the features should be in
> particular
> Karaf extensions which can be easily installed on vanilla Karaf. I think
> they are more related to Karaf than related to ServiceMix. ServiceMix will
> be only a custom Karaf distribution assembling the features needed for
> ESB.
> I don't think the ServiceMix distribution will include the EJB features -
> it will be rather installed  on vanilla Karaf (adding the EJB
> functionality) or shipped as  a custom distribution (KarafEE)  than
> shipped
> with ServiceMix.  I think, all enterprise features should be maintained by
> a Karaf subproject, which should also contain the current ServiceMix
> features, like Activiti.
>
> Best regards
> Krzysztof
>
> On 11.02.2014 12:34, Achim Nierbeck wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> sounds reasonable to me, we might be able to push those enterprise
>> features
>> of Karaf to ServiceMix.
>> So have "Released" Feature descriptors available from ServiceMix and a
>> pre-assembled ServiceMix Container with dedicated features.
>> This way it's easier to have those openEJB features and other stuff that
>> runs on top of Karaf at one place.
>> For example the right now kind of "neglected" WebConsole of Karaf could
>> be
>> moved here.
>> This way we'd have a one Console fit's them all, but again on feature
>> basis, so everyone is either free to install
>> and use it or use something different :)
>>
>> regards, Achim

>> >:
>>
>>  Hi
>>>
>>> In my opinion we should have a custom Karaf distribution in Apache which
>>> assemblies Camel, CXF, ActiveMQ, some BPM (e.g. Activiti). It can still
>>> be
>>> ServiceMix. We should only think about making ServiceMix better
>>> upgradeable
>>> to the new Karaf kernel. I think also, we should start ServiceMix with
>>> Karaf 3.x.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Krzysztof
>>>

> --
> Krzysztof Sobkowiak
>
> JEE & OSS Architect | Technical Architect @ Capgemini
> Capgemini <http://www.pl.capgemini.com/> | Software Solutions Center <
> http://www.pl.capgemini-sdm.com/> | Wroclaw
> e-mail: krzys.sobkowiak@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com> |
> Twitter: @KSobkowiak

---

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

Posted by Cristiano Costantini <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ggerla <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Cristiano, hi all
I wanted to thank you for this discussion because I realized the true path
of servicemix and Karaf.
Two words on my personal experience. After starting to use Servicemix, I
switched to Karaf because I used only the OSGi core. Recently I came-back to
Servicemix for convenience since I started using spring-orm and ActiveMQ.
My goal, however, is to use Karaf or with a custom distribution or with a
feature since in this way I have more flexibility on the libraries version.

In conclusion, I agree with the proposed strategy, and I'm available to help
with developments.

Br
Giuseppe

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

Posted by Cristiano Costantini <cr...@gmail.com>.
I don't want to add more noise with a simple reply that says I agree but
this time I think it is worth:
I agree with this approach proposed by Gert :-) also I think that
discussion on "how to act" should move to dev@ mailing list.

Then, I was curiously trying to rebuild the history of Karaf. Before I
had an overall idea but not certainty.
And well, I think we all shall give more focus to the fact that Karaf comes
from the ServiceMix Kernel:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120102122544/http://servicemix.apache.org/kernel

This is not just something about pride, it is more about credibility of the
solution of Karaf. Remember when I say that ServiceMix has a "(debatable)
marketing value"? Well, if we outline Karaf comes from ServiceMix's Kernel,
this value get transferred to Karaf too.
Also, it is a Shame that nowhere on the home page of Karaf is a quote to
its origin.

Saying that "most of the work that used to be at SerivceMix is now
happening at Karaf and Camel instead" can be discouraging if we don't have
clear view of the history. Claus surely has this clear view, but me and
many other developers may not, and I can misunderstand what he means.

This nice link summarize the history of Karaf:
http://icodebythesea.blogspot.it/2011/01/brief-history-of-apache-karaf.html

Regards,
Cristiano

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
Where do we want to start?

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
I wonder when and why that happened ....
... but this is a good point for all those people that
raised their voices the last 4 days to show their pride of
the project and get into it ;)

regards, Achim

> Users would definitely want to have an aggregate project. The question
> is if there are enough contributors to maintain it.
>
> --
> Ioannis Canellos
>
> Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
> Twitter: iocanel

Project Lead
OPS4J Pax for Vaadin <http://team.ops4j.org/wiki/display/PAXVAADIN/Home>
Commiter & Project Lead
blog <http://notizblog.nierbeck.de/>

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Bart Horré <ba...@anova.be>.
Hi all,

Posted by Cristiano Costantini <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Thorburn <nz...@gmail.com>.
Hey guys,

I'd like to add my support for SMX sticking around as its own thing - we've
recently started using SMX where I work, and it saved me an awful lot of
time, along with leading me to things like Apache Karaf - which I had not
heard of before I started using SMX.

Personally, the most valuable thing that SMX provided me was a collection
of features that are known to play well together, which meant that I could
spend most of my time learning how to *use* those features, rather than
trying to assemble them all together and *then* learning how to use them -
which could be a pretty significant amount of time.

The one other thing I would like to add is that I do use the NMR, simply as
a really easy way to connect two Camel routes in separate bundles without
the hassle of trying to configure JMS routes (this also means that I can
undeploy bundle X, while leaving bundles Y and Z in-place, which is
important for me). I'm sure I could find something to replace it, but
that's the easiest solution for me right now.

I don't know if I could do much to help, except to say that, yes, SMX was
absolutely useful to me, and I would like to see it stick around.

Thanks,

- Andrew

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gert, hi all!

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jean-Baptiste

Could you clarify what do you understand to be content of the Enterprise
Features subproject? I understand this project should contain the
feature xml files. But it should also contain additional components
beaing part of the enterprise features (like the bundle with Activiti
configuration or the KarafEE extensions). Is it ok?

Regards
Krzysztof

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Actually, if you take a look in the Camel features descriptor, Camel
references the CXF feature (with version range):

<features name='camel-${project.version}'>
	<repository>mvn:org.apache.cxf.karaf/apache-cxf/${cxf-version}/xml/features</repository>

So, Camel already defines the expected CXF version.

The missing part (resolved in ServiceMix) is ActiveMQ (actually, for
ActiveMQ it's the opposite: ActiveMQ features descriptor references
Camel features).

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

---

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jean-Baptiste

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Krzysztof,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Krzysztof,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

Posted by Cristiano Costantini <cr...@gmail.com>.
@Krzysztof

> Karaf allows to add the Camel, ActiveMQ, CXF (and more other) features by
> feature:repo-add command, but the user must still find out which version of
> Camel with which version of ActiveMQ will be correctly work with the
> current version of Karaf (e.g. 3.0.0).

exactly what I care about SMX

The ServiceMix bundles and spec could also move to Karaf as subprojects as
> they provide osgified version of enterprise libraries.

+1

> So instead of having one monolithic SMX distribution we would have more
> flexible modular Karaf which could be converted into the esb solution by
> installing some features or one could easily install only some of the esb
> features (e.g. only web services support).

+1

@Mike K
Thank you, I'll try!

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: To servicemix or not to servicemix

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Mike K <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hello Cristiano,

I think I was in your shoes about 3 years ago ;-) and sure I understand you
very well.
I'm customer of Apache products and not contributor.
The JBI and NMR and SpringDM were my main concerns at that time.
As result I went with SCA approach, where my OSGi components (bundles) are
connected ether by OSGi services or JMS (AMQ), while data flow is managed by
Camel.
To avoid ClassLoader issues with SpringDM I went with Blueprint (Aries) and
this what I'd recommend you as well.
In the Aetos you can configure exactly what components to use and what
versions.
This is done in short in features.xml (filtered-resources) and later via
featuresBoot (org.apache.karaf.features.cfg ).

I hope you'll find middle ground that works for you ;-)

Michael.

Posted by Cristiano Costantini <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janne mattila <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

 got curious - could you elaborate a little, what you mean by "ESB has lost
it's traction"?

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Cristiano Costantini
<cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Claus, hi all,
>
> anytime I hear of a "dying" project I get worried, especially if like that
> one.

All projects will eventually die. New projects come and go etc.

Apache has its share of dying projects too.
Though the projects usually have to be dead for years before they go
to the attic etc.

> But apart ServiceMix Bundles and the precious work continuously being done
> by Jean-Baptiste, you are right and I exactly asked this question to
> investigate the orientation and understand the feeling of other people on
> the community.

Yeah well as said before the main work is happening at Karaf / Camel etc.
In fact Karaf was the ServiceMix Kernel, which was pulled out as a
separate project to allow re-use for others to build containers. That
was a great move, and Karaf has proven itself as a great independent
project.

> I take the opportunity then say my opinion: "ServiceMix" name has its
> "marketing" value and I think it is wrong to let it die.
> People trust the name "ServiceMix", don't trust a standalone project on
> Github with poor description and documentation.

Well I dont agree entirely.

ServiceMix has certainly poor documentation, and never updated, and
never maintained.
The web site is never updated, and new releases is not coming out.
Nobody present ServiceMix at conferences, an publishers are not
publishing books on ServieMix etc.

For some people ServiceMix is *JBI* as that is how it got started.
As a JBI implementation.

Also ServiceMix is associated with ESB which in todays modern world
lost its traction.

In total the ServiceMix brand is not up to par anymore.
Though the name is good for googling as you don't get animals in your
search results ;)

> Probably more and more people simply have the same need as me, and if it is
> so, then why not to release the next version of it (Major version 5.0.0) as
> more lightweight project, with only Camel, CXF and ActiveMQ (maybe like the
> link posted by Mike)?

Apache is an open community. So get INVOLVED.
Help the dying project. Improve its documentation, spread the word.
Help cut new releases etc.

Apache is volunteer based and relies on people helping out.

FuseSource used to do Fuse ESB product which was based on Apache ServiceMix.
That product is no longer, and its evolved into JBoss Fuse as the
commercial product.
The only pieces that are used at the ServiceMIx OSGi bundles that
Karaf/Camel users need.
And the legacy JBI module that is @deprecated and to be removed in the future.

fabric8 as the 100% free ASL2 community project with community releases etc.
It may be the same for other companies. I cannot speak on their behalf.

> I believe continuing releasing a "ServiceMix" distribution, is good in the
> sense that it encourage the adoption of the platform by starters, and it
> will be easier to maintain it with less dependencies.
> NMR and JBI should split from the main project and either become plugins or
> a separate karaf distribution, anyway with its own independent releases and
> versions.
>
> Philosophically, it is not bad at all to remove something if its value has
> decreased, and remember that "less is more" =>
> http://books.google.it/books?hl=it&id=gJrmszNHQV4C&q=less+is+more#v=onepage&q=%22Less%20is%20more.%20(Browning)%22&f=false
>
> What do you think?

Yeah famous word. But ServiceMix has not evolved in many many years,
and bring hardly any value over either a pure Karaf + pick what you
need distro. Or .. vs something as elaborate as fabric8 which is a
modern integration platform that is cloud ready.

> Finally I've taken a quick look at fabric8 but honestly I've not understood
> how does it relate to ServiceMix: I can basically summarize my needs as the
> need a platform to run karaf/servicemix the demos you can find on my github
> repositories: https://github.com/cristcost?tab=repositories
> But I trust you and I'll take a more accurate look to it to better
> understand. Thank you for the link.

Fabric8 is based on Karaf, so its really a Karaf container in the
lower layer, and then the fabric layer on top. You do not need to use
fabric if you dont need too.

You start fabric8 the same way as Karaf, eg such as

===============================

davsclaus:/opt/fabric8-karaf-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT$ bin/karaf
Please wait while Fabric8 is loading...
100% [========================================================================]

______    _          _      _____
|  ___|  | |        (_)    |  _  |
| |_ __ _| |__  _ __ _  ___ \ V /
|  _/ _` | '_ \| '__| |/ __|/ _ \
| || (_| | |_) | |  | | (__| |_| |
\_| \__,_|_.__/|_|  |_|\___\_____/
  Fabric8 Container (1.0.0-SNAPSHOT)
  http://fabric8.io/

Type 'help' to get started
and 'help [cmd]' for help on a specific command.
Hit '<ctrl-d>' or 'osgi:shutdown' to shutdown this container.

Open a browser to http://localhost:8181 to access the management console

Create a new Fabric via 'fabric:create'
or join an existing Fabric via 'fabric:join [someUrls]'

Fabric8:karaf@root>

===============================

Notice that the prompt says "karaf@root". The shell in there is just karaf.

PS: There is also bin/fusefabric (which is to be renamed to bin/fabric8).

But Karaf is a great and active maintained project. So then Karaf is
likely what your need.
Everyone loves that project.

But when you need have clustered Camel applications, go to the cloud
or have many nodes to manage, or want to use docker, or want to more
easily setup HA reliable brokers, then ServiceMix/Karaf fall short.

Or when you want to use a web console that can manage all these
projects from the same UI, then fabric8 offers that with hawtio -
though you can just install hawtio as well in Karaf.

.. at that point you may have to look elsewhere.

1) one option is fabric8 - with all that above, and more to come.
2) Karaf has the Cellar sub-project, so that may be something to look
into as well.

Also mind that Karaf and ServiceMix is heavy OSGi dependent. Not
everyone need that, or companies have the time to train their
developers to this new world. They just want to develop integration
applications. Their options today is to not use SerivceMix but
containers like Tomcat / Jetty / JEE servers etc.

What fabirc8 is adding to the table later this year, is that it will
portable runtime layer, which allows to run fabric on Tomcat / JBoss
WildFly / Jetty / Karaf etc. And you can mix and match.

Anyway users who have needs for ServiceMix.
Then its your time to get involved and help this *dying* project, so
its no longer dying.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------