Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Christopher Collins <cc...@apache.org> on 2016/05/22 18:52:15 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 0.9.0-incubating-rc1

Hello,

The Apache Mynewt Incubator PPMC has approved a proposal to release
Apache Mynewt 0.9.0-incubating. We now kindly request that the Incubator
PMC members review and vote on this incubator release.

Apache Mynewt is a community-driven, permissively licensed open source
initiative for constrained, embedded applications. Mynewt provides a
real-time operating system, flash file system, network stacks, and
support utilities for real-world embedded systems.

The highlights of this release are:
    * Bug fixes for the bleprph example app.  The bugs are described
      under "known issues" here:
      https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/RN-0.8.0-incubating)

    * NimBLE stack: BLE pairing and bonding support
        * These features are now enabled by default, and are available
          in the example BLE apps: bleprph and bletiny.

    * NimBLE stack: Eddystone beacon support

    * Boot loader: The file system no longer fills up after repeated
      image upgrades.

[VOTE] thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/Za581nzdkku97cr

[VOTE RESULT] thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/Z9ezdety3cst2d5

[DISCUSS] thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/Zse8zizsjwcnfz4

This release candidate was tested as follows:
    1. Manual execution of the Mynewt test plan
       (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MYNEWT/Apache+Mynewt+Test+Plan).
    2. The full unit test suite for this release was executed via "newt
       test all" with no failures. This testing was performed on the
       following platforms:
         * OS X 10.10.5
         * Linux 3.19.0 (Ubuntu 14.04)

The release candidate to be voted on is available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mynewt/apache-mynewt-0.9.0-incubating/rc1/

The commits under consideration are as follows:

blinky:
    repos: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-mynewt-blinky
    commit: 82f09fa2cc4c67fb30165ef6be0291aa76e6213e

core:
    repos: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-mynewt-core
    commit: 48df9b088c50cfc97d2518a823294ace761633d6

newt:
    repos: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-mynewt-newt
    commit: 0afe655414bbefc922d2adfddf238479bedac5c0

In addition, the following newt convenience binaries are available:
    linux: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mynewt/apache-mynewt-0.9.0-incubating/rc1/apache-newt-bin-linux-0.9.0-incubating.tgz
    osx: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mynewt/apache-mynewt-0.9.0-incubating/rc1/apache-newt-bin-osx-0.9.0-incubating.tgz

The release candidate is signed with a GPG key available at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mynewt/KEYS

The vote is open for at least 72 hours.

[ ] +1 Release this package
[ ]  0 I don't feel strongly about it, but don't object
[ ] -1 Do not release this package because\u2026

Thanks,
Chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 0.9.0-incubating-rc1

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org>.
Hey John,

I think the VOTE should be recalled based upon looking at newt.  I\u2019ll
admit \u2014 all my testing was on the git tags for the release, and not
the tarballs themselves. As a FYI, what happened is that only the newt
directory got released in newt tarball instead of the TLD:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mynewt-newt/.

On 27 May 2016, at 18:18, John D. Ament wrote:

> I'm still interested in figuring out how to build this thing, however
> feel that I need to vote -1 on the release on the following grounds:
>
> - You're trying to release "Apache Mynewt" but not a single one of
> these
> packages says "Mynewt" on them.  Even the generated binary says "newt"
> and
> not Mynewt.
> - I would rename the generated artifacts "blinky", "core", "newt" to
> include "mynewt" as a prefix in there somewhere, e.g.
> "apache-mynewt-core"
> and "apache-mynewt-blinky"
>
> - Even then, the package "apache-newt" lacks a NOTICE/LICENSE file.

It looks like there was a mistake in the newt that was released.
We\u2019re an operating system and a build & package system.

For reference, these tarballs are not how most people consume a release,
it\u2019s rather through the newt tool itself.

http://mynewt.apache.org/os/get_started/get_started/

Has a reference on getting started.  specifically, you create a new
project (which is a clone of blinky), and then you install that
project\u2019s dependencies, which is newt install \u2014 and that points to
apache-mynewt-core repository, and a specific version.

> I suspect that your notice and license files are out of sync btw.
> Your
> license includes references to code that doesn't match your notice.

There hasn\u2019t been anything that changed between releases really there.
  We\u2019ve always had pointers to 3rd party licenses in licenses, and
left the notice file fairly blank.  If we need to move the attributions
in the license file to the notice file, we\u2019re fine doing so.

Sterling

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 0.9.0-incubating-rc1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I'm still interested in figuring out how to build this thing

The easiest way to to compile the newt package (by tuning build.sh) first and then use the produced “newt” binary to compile the blinky project via instructions in the read me.

> - You're trying to release "Apache Mynewt" but not a single one of these
> packages says "Mynewt" on them.

I think this is an issue as well and have brought this up on the dev list.

> I suspect that your notice and license files are out of sync btw.  Your
> license includes references to code that doesn't match your notice.

I’ve taken a look and can’t see anything out of place (but may be because of the packaging error). Is there anything in particular you think that needs improving/changing?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 0.9.0-incubating-rc1

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
I'm still interested in figuring out how to build this thing, however I
feel that I need to vote -1 on the release on the following grounds:

- You're trying to release "Apache Mynewt" but not a single one of these
packages says "Mynewt" on them.  Even the generated binary says "newt" and
not Mynewt.
- I would rename the generated artifacts "blinky", "core", "newt" to
include "mynewt" as a prefix in there somewhere, e.g. "apache-mynewt-core"
and "apache-mynewt-blinky"

- Even then, the package "apache-newt" lacks a NOTICE/LICENSE file.

I suspect that your notice and license files are out of sync btw.  Your
license includes references to code that doesn't match your notice.

For reference, please review
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html but don't
hesitate to ask questions on the general list.

John

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hi Christopher,

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding carries over mynewt dev list

Ship it!

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I think you need to ping your mentors, and if they are not able, then I
> think you need to raise this as an issue with the Incubator PMC, either in
> separate thread or put it in the report for next month.

AFAIK it's not the responsibility of the mentors to vote, it's the responsibility of the IPMC. Mentors should vote if they can, but there’s going to be times when they are busy and unable to do so.

> I am not on the PMC, and can't help at this point.

Anyone can vote on a release you don’t have to be on the IPMC to do so. IPMC votes are the only binding votes however. But voting on releases may be a way to join the IPMC if you are not an ASF member.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 0.9.0-incubating-rc1

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
I think you need to ping your mentors, and if they are not able, then I
think you need to raise this as an issue with the Incubator PMC, either in
separate thread or put it in the report for next month.
I am not on the PMC, and can't help at this point.

Niclas

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 7:18 AM, Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It’s been 5 days since the start of the vote thread — we’re waiting on 2
> more votes +1 — already passed podling PMC.
>
> Can folks jump in?
>
> Thanks,
> Sterling
>

> On 25 May 2016, at 7:58, Sterling Hughes wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>>
>> Trying to get this out, we have one +1 binding vote on general@ (from
>> me), and need _2_ more votes.
>>
>> The release has passed the podling PMC unanimously -- please help us get
>> this out, as we're approaching the end of the vote window (we may be past
>> it.)   This is the 4th release we're looking to put out as a podling.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sterling
>>
>> On 5/24/16 10:29 AM, Christopher Collins wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I would like to make an open request to the PMC community: if you have
>>> the time, could you please take a look at this release candidate and
>>> cast a vote?  This release contains some critical bug fixes, so we would
>>> like to release it if possible.
>>>
>>> I can tell from all the traffic that there is a lot going on right now.
>>> All votes, positive and negative, are greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Chris

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Mynewt 0.9.0-incubating-rc1

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Sterling Hughes <st...@apache.org>.
Hi All,