Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Nisha G." <ni...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/31 09:12:27 UTC

Reg: Establishing the Base line for Performance Testing Server

Hello All,

I need advice and guidance from you all experts on "Establishing the Base
line for Performance Testing Server".
I have been asked to form an Performance Testing Server so as to carry out
all my testing activities on that machine. I have two options for the
server....

A. Virtual Machine (*VMware ESX*) (No bar for RAM and HDD)
B. Physical Machine. (No bar for RAM and HDD)

What could be the concerns if I prefer to go with A or B.
Please tell me with which I should go so that I will not be face any issues
related to Performance Testing like issues in tuning, Capacity Planning etc.

Your advise is really appreciated.

Regards,
Nisha G.

RE: Establishing the Base line for Performance Testing Server

Posted by "Bhayana, Sidhant" <si...@igatepatni.com>.
Hi Nisha,

There are numerous forums and posts available if you Google, where people try to tackle with a similar dilemma.

1. Despite unlimited memory capacities and low risk of hardware insufficiency ,  VMs are never suggested for carrying out performance related tests as VM being a part of huge huge servers are still not able to imitate the behavior of physical machines.
For further consent, you may refer to "http://blogs.vmware.com/vmtn/2007/04/response_to_loa.html"
2.Also an unsolicited suggestion, do make sure you have all your test environment in the same network to avoid network delays. That will help you capture accurate results.

--Regards,
Sidhant

I need advice and guidance from you all experts on "Establishing the Base
line for Performance Testing Server".
I have been asked to form an Performance Testing Server so as to carry out
all my testing activities on that machine. I have two options for the
server....

A. Virtual Machine (*VMware ESX*) (No bar for RAM and HDD)
B. Physical Machine. (No bar for RAM and HDD)

What could be the concerns if I prefer to go with A or B.
Please tell me with which I should go so that I will not be face any issues
related to Performance Testing like issues in tuning, Capacity Planning etc.

Your advise is really appreciated.

Regards,
Nisha G.

  ________________________________
Information contained and transmitted by this e-mail is confidential and proprietary to iGATE Patni and its affiliates and is intended for use only by the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or use of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and you are requested to delete this e-mail immediately and notify the originator or mailadmin@igatepatni.com. iGATE Patni does not enter into any agreement with any party by e-mail. Any views expressed by an individual do not necessarily reflect the view of iGATE Patni. iGATE Patni is not responsible for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of information provided, through this email. The contents of an attachment to this e-mail may contain software viruses, which could damage your own computer system. While iGATE Patni has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening an attachment. To know more about iGATE Patni please visit www.igatepatni.com.

Re: Reg: Establishing the Base line for Performance Testing Server

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
Hey

Have you thought about the Network for the two options?

Deepak

--
Namaskara~Nalama~Guten Tag

   --