Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Zacharias J. Beckman" <zb...@creativesun.com> on 2000/01/07 22:04:42 UTC

Apache/Tomcat Integration

My apologies; I'm new to the list, and I know this has been answered a
hundred times. Please point me in the right direction (I've already looked
at the HOWTO and FAQ, but I'm still stuck).

I've installed Tomcat in Apache 1.3.9 (RH Linux 6.1). The install was easy
enough, and it seems that some basic services are working--examples, mostly.

My questions are the basic "what next" type:

1. I want to install a servlet, but I want the servlet under, say,
/httpd/docs/fubar/servlets. How do I configure this? My attempts in general
lead to frustration and failure...

2. How do I get Tomcat to handle _all_ JSP pages, even the ones under
/http/docs?

And something even more important than the above: Does this release of
Tomcat (3.0) support EJB integration (that is, can I use jsp:usebean to use
an Enterprise Java Bean)? I'm trying to find out if Tomcat is a good
mechanism to support web services with Sapphire/Web... if anyone has input
or experience in that regard, I'd very much like to hear about it...
--
Zacharias J. Beckman - zbeckman@creativesun.com - (U.S.) 305-281-8701
Creative Sun Inc., Publishing for the Internet - http://www.creativesun.com

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that
knows neither victory nor defeat. -- Theodore Roosevelt

Virtual hosts and Tomcat; how?

Posted by "Zacharias J. Beckman" <zb...@creativesun.com>.
I'm using named virtual hosts in Apache. This seems to be causing a problem
with Tomcat.

Assuming I have www.one.com and www.two.com configured as named virtual
hosts, I might want to invoke:
    http://www.one.com/foo.jsp
or
    http://www.two.com/bar.jsp

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to configure this. As far as I've been
able to ascertain, I can place one default context in server.xml, such as:
    <Context path="/" docBase="/httpd/docs/one_root"
    etc. />
And this makes the www.one.com work just fine. But what about www.two.com?
Is there any way to establish a context such that both of them can liberally
use JSP pages, or do I have to do something contrived like placing all JSPs
for all sites except one of them in a subdirectory?

Please send help! This is difficult; I don't want to have to rewrite all my
URLs to include a preceeding "/oneJSP" or "/twoJSP" or whatever...

Bleah.