Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2008/07/06 20:03:12 UTC

Maven ITs

Hi,

I get all the ITs passing on my machine, so I'm wondering if others
are getting the same?

it0112 is odd because we get:

http://ci.sonatype.org/view/Maven%202.1x/job/Maven-2.1.x-ITs/ws/maven-core-its/target/it-working-folder/it0112-extensionsThatDragDependencies/test-project/log.txt

I'm not sure how the digester comes out null.

itMNG3473 also passes on my machine.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

  -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Re: Maven ITs

Posted by Eugene Kuleshov <eu...@md.pp.ru>.
Hi All,

  I am just a reader, but I would like to ask everyone who is sending to
this mailing list to pay little bit of attention to what you are sending
here. For instance, email quoted below have about two pages of signatures
and other system information that adds lots of visual noise to the emails
and this look very bad in the web interface and rss feeds. It would really
make easier to follow discussions if replies contained only quotation
relevant to the response.

  Thank you in advance.

  Eugene

Re: Maven ITs

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 07/07/2008, at 11:32 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

>>> But is that hiding another bug? We are wiping out the artifacts
>>> once a day on Hudson, but everyone seems to be able to run them
>>> locally. So now we're just nuking everything but is that just
>>> hiding a dependency resolution bug? I hate just diddling the ITs
>>> and then stuff starts working.
>>
>> With regard to the issues you had on Hudson? No, it was a straight
>> up fix in maven-artifact where it tried to calculate the checksum
>> of a checksum unnecessarily, which I fixed.
>>

> And this didn't show up for anyone else except Hudson why? We were
> only nuking the repo once daily.

It's because there's no sha1 here: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-io/commons-io/1.4/

It wasn't showing in Continuum because it hadn't been building the
latest versions of maven-artifact that introduced the bug in an
attempt to fix another variation of it. It is now.

I suggest if you review the commit I made (particularly the unit
test), it will make it quite apparent what was going on.

- Brett

Re: Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 7-Jul-08, at 9:17 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

>>> Yes, I committed a fix for your two failures, and my two failures,
>>> and a bit more cleanup, which all bubbled through CI eventually
>>> and led to a big green bar.
>>>

>> But is that hiding another bug? We are wiping out the artifacts
>> once a day on Hudson, but everyone seems to be able to run them
>> locally. So now we're just nuking everything but is that just
>> hiding a dependency resolution bug? I hate just diddling the ITs
>> and then stuff starts working.
>
> With regard to the issues you had on Hudson? No, it was a straight
> up fix in maven-artifact where it tried to calculate the checksum of
> a checksum unnecessarily, which I fixed.

And this didn't show up for anyone else except Hudson why? We were
only nuking the repo once daily.

> With regard to the it0065 / it0081 issues? I can only suggest here
> more comprehensive testing put in place for plugin loading scenarios
> as we move forward, particularly analysing plugins built-and-used in
> the same build sequence. At this point, we have this datapoint to go
> back to if a user ever reports this exception happening in the wild,
> but it's not something I want to invest a lot of time in right now
> since it seems more specific to the IT setup than anything else.

Those two I've never seen fail, but I'm sure it's maven-artifact
related and we just have to keep moving toward fixing it all.

Re: Maven ITs

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 7-Jul-08, at 8:42 AM, Brett Porter wrote:

>> What does that mean. For 13 days it bubbles and then starts
>> magically working? Something must have changed.
>
> Yes, I committed a fix for your two failures, and my two failures,
> and a bit more cleanup, which all bubbled through CI eventually and
> led to a big green bar.

But is that hiding another bug? We are wiping out the artifacts once a
day on Hudson, but everyone seems to be able to run them locally. So
now we're just nuking everything but is that just hiding a dependency
resolution bug? I hate just diddling the ITs and then stuff starts
working.

>>> - Brett

>>> --
>>> Brett Porter
>>> brett@apache.org
>>> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> jason at sonatype dot com

> Brett Porter
> brett@apache.org
> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

  -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition

Re: Maven ITs

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Maven ITs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.