Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org> on 2015/07/06 17:11:54 UTC

Important: Git Policy Changed

Igniters,

As it has been discussed, we are applying an updated Git policy which
should be more flexible and transparent that we have now.

Process is described here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Sprint+Process

I would also put points here (taken from the page above)

   - Master should become the development branch for the next release
   (current sprint).
   - Whenever current release (sprint) goes to QA, new branch should be
   created from master. This way master can be used to develop functionality
   of the next release. All release fixes get merged to release branch and
   then to master.
   - All individual ticket branches should be created off of the master
   branch (or release branch if one exists - in this case changes get merged
   to release branch and then to master branch).
   - Git tag should be created for every release.
   - All CI tests must pass before the merge of ticket branches to the
   master (or release) branch.

ignite-sprint-7 branch will be removed soon.

Please let me know if anyone has questions.

--Yakov

Re: Important: Git Policy Changed

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 23.07.2015 03:44, Alexey Goncharuk wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Kindly reminder: when committing a patch provided by a contributor, do not
> forget to specify --author tag with the commit in order to preserve the
> identity of the person created the patch, for example:
>
> git commit --author "Kale Libby <ka...@hackers.org>" -m "Fixed NPE in REST
> log command"

Agreed. However: I strongly suggest not including the contributor's
e-mail address unless they've specifically allowed you to do so. Every
little bit helps against spammers, and the name is quite sufficient.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 11:02AM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@gridgain.com>
> wrote:
>
> > As said above, squash should be used when merging to master (git merge
> > branchName --squash "Message"; there are checkboxes in Idea, too).
> > This way there is a single commit with a meaningful message in master,
> > and it does not matter what happened in the personal branch.
> >

> Pavel, I am not a GIT expert, so bare with me :)
>
> Will the commits that got merged from master be squashed too? In other
> words, will the master commits be piled together with all the user-commits
> in one uber-commit from that user?

Absolutely no. You never touch objects that are already in the remote.

Cos

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
You can use squash independent from merge. It is done via simple interactive
rebase and can be used at any time at one's convenience. However, it is
important to remember not to squash someone's else commits as it changes the
SHAs of the object.

I'd be happy to do a session for anyone who needs a bit of education around
these technologies, but I am fairly sure there's plenty of materials like that
on the net.

Cos

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@gridgain.com>.
As said above, squash should be used when merging to master (git merge
branchName --squash "Message"; there are checkboxes in Idea, too).
This way there is a single commit with a meaningful message in master, and
it does not matter what happened in the personal branch.

I think this is the simplest workflow.

Thanks,

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 01:33PM, Pavel Tupitsyn wrote:
> > > I hope so, it'd be horrible to do that on master!
> >
> > Exactly!
> > But I do not see much sense in enforcing any kind of policy in personal
> > branches. Sometimes rebase may be better, sometimes I may want to use
> merge
> > so I see when and which changes came from master branch, etc.
> > Only the implementer cares about the look of history in his branch, so it
> > is up to him.
>
> You can do with your personal branch whatever you pleased with, of course.
> However, if you make 112 intermediate commits while working on something,
> there's no need to unleash it on everyone; also it is of little interest to
> anyone to see how many times you merged from the master to your local
> branch.
>
> In this respect, hygiene of the personal branches are of little concern to
> anyone, until one starts contaminating the shared history. Does it make
> sense?
>
> > > Also what will happen if someone will do merge but other rebase?
> >
> > Nothing will happen, we are talking about personal branches, they end up
> > being removed. And resulting work is squashed into a patch.
>
> Actually, I didn't say anything on how the content of the change is
> delivered
> to the master. If you want to do it with patches - sure; but I think it'd
> be
> better to do keep using git facilities for that and simply merge dev ->
> master
> when you're ready.
>
> Cos
>
> > On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 1:29 PM, Alexey Kuznetsov <
> akuznetsov@gridgain.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > One more. Could I use rebase in my branch if I already use merge on
> this
> > > branch before?
> > >
> > > On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Alexey Kuznetsov <
> akuznetsov@gridgain.com

> > > --
> > > Alexey Kuznetsov
> > > GridGain Systems
> > > www.gridgain.com
> > >

> > --
> > --
> > Pavel Tupitsyn
> > GridGain Systems, Inc.
> > www.gridgain.com

Pavel Tupitsyn
GridGain Systems, Inc.
www.gridgain.com

Re: Important: Git Policy Changed

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@gridgain.com>.
Alexey, we were talking about master->personal.

As for merging to master, there should be strictly one commit per feature.
This can be achieved in multiple ways (patch, merge/pull with squash). And
with squash, it does not matter how personal branch history looks.

Pavel Tupitsyn
GridGain Systems, Inc.
www.gridgain.com

Re: Important: Git Policy Changed

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@gridgain.com>.

--
Alexey Kuznetsov
GridGain Systems

Re: Important: Git Policy Changed

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@gridgain.com>.

wrote:

> One more. Could I use rebase in my branch if I already use merge on this
> branch before?
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 5:28 PM, Alexey Kuznetsov <akuznetsov@gridgain.com
> >
> wrote:
>
> > I can start user rebase at any moment? Or I should wait for day X ?
> > Or we will start vote?
> >
> > Also what will happen if someone will do merge but other rebase?
> >
> > --
> > Alexey Kuznetsov
> > GridGain Systems
> > www.gridgain.com
> >

> --
> Alexey Kuznetsov
> GridGain Systems
> www.gridgain.com

Pavel Tupitsyn
GridGain Systems, Inc.
www.gridgain.com

Re: Important: Git Policy Changed

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@gridgain.com>.

--
Alexey Kuznetsov
GridGain Systems

Re: Important: Git Policy Changed

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 28.07.2015 12:15, Pavel Tupitsyn wrote:
> Hi, I'm a bit confused, are we talking about merge vs rebase in a feature
> (personal) branches?

I hope so, it'd be horrible to do that on master!

-- Brane

Re: Important: Git Policy Changed

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@gridgain.com>.

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org> wrote:

> This can be done from command line.
>
> I think here is a very good article on merge vs rebase -
> https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/merging-vs-rebasing
>
> As for me, I think we should switch to rebase.
>
> --Yakov

> > I,m not a git ninja.
> >
> > And will be very pleased if some one add a screenshot to our wiki how to
> do
> > rebase from Idea UI.
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > +1
> > >
> > > On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan <
> > dsetrakyan@apache.org>

> > of

> forward
> > > need
> > like

> > > adding
> > > reverts

> section:
> > > > > >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/How+to+Contribute

> > > cannot

> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Sprint+Process

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Atri
> > > *l'apprenant*
> > >

> > --
> > Alexey Kuznetsov
> > GridGain Systems
> > www.gridgain.com

Pavel Tupitsyn
GridGain Systems, Inc.
www.gridgain.com

Re: Important: Git Policy Changed

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@gridgain.com>.
I,m not a git ninja.

--
Alexey Kuznetsov
GridGain Systems

Re: Important: Git Policy Changed

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.
+1

wrote:

> I actually agree with Cos and think we can switch to "rebase" instead of
> "merge".
>
> Does anyone foresee any problems with this change?
>
> D.
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > I would like to propose the following modification of the process,
> offered
> > in
> > this page (and it would apply for the ppl working on their branches
> > directly
> > too). Namely:
> >
> > - replace
> >     % git merge master
> >   with
> >     % git rebase master
> >
> > which will allow to avoid empty and non-informative non-fast forward
> > commits and also will help to maintain the clean history. You still need
> > resolve the conflicts though, but most likely you won't have stuff like
> > this sitting around:
> >
> > | *   commit a57707f6ef387ea6f48fd878747e8c5044e7758e
> > | |\  Merge: 0b25ec2 c044bb8
> > | | |
> > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-ignite
> > | | |
> > | * | commit 0b25ec2216f7d7c54f29cc9c4ca465c55ed8c0a1
> > | | |
> > | | |
> > * | |   commit 2e1dea945b486006214eaa8005a7d3b398c8f549
> > |\ \ \  Merge: 5202527 c044bb8
> > | | |
> > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-ignite into
> ignite-1015
> > | | |
> > | * | commit c044bb8278d724336d17fbc2dcd34b0957ac41ec
> > | | |
> > | | |
> > * | |   commit 52025271f3db6e764ab62d0483966159d004b42c
> > |\ \ \  Merge: 301f573 8e1492a
> > | | |
> > https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-ignite into
> ignite-1015
> >
> > - squash the intermediate commits in your own branch, as they are adding
> no
> >   value to anyone, but polluting the history and making potential reverts
> >   nearly impossible.
> >
> > With these two changes in the process the patch preparation scripts
> (which
> > found to be overly complex) would be replaced with a single command
> >
> >     % git format-patch HEAD~1 --stdout > JIRA-###.patch
> >
> > Would be happy to answer any questions, if needed.
> >   Cos
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:38AM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> > > The patch process is also described in "How to Contribute" section:
> > > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/How+to+Contribute
> > >
> > > I think it makes sense to update this page as well.
> > >
> > > D.

> > find

Atri
*l'apprenant*

Re: Important: Git Policy Changed

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I would like to propose the following modification of the process, offered in
this page (and it would apply for the ppl working on their branches directly
too). Namely:

- replace
    % git merge master
  with
    % git rebase master

which will allow to avoid empty and non-informative non-fast forward commits
and also will help to maintain the clean history. You still need to resolve
the conflicts though, but most likely you won't have stuff like this sitting
around:

| *   commit a57707f6ef387ea6f48fd878747e8c5044e7758e
| |\  Merge: 0b25ec2 c044bb8
| | | Author: Denis Magda <dm...@gridgain.com>
| | | Date:   Wed Jul 22 15:49:04 2015 +0300
| | |
| | |     Merge branch 'master' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-ignite
| | |
| * | commit 0b25ec2216f7d7c54f29cc9c4ca465c55ed8c0a1
| | | Author: Denis Magda <dm...@gridgain.com>
| | | Date:   Wed Jul 22 15:48:36 2015 +0300
| | |
| | |     muted failing discovery test
| | |
* | |   commit 2e1dea945b486006214eaa8005a7d3b398c8f549
|\ \ \  Merge: 5202527 c044bb8
| | |/  Author: S.Vladykin <sv...@gridgain.com>
| |/|   Date:   Wed Jul 22 15:11:38 2015 +0300
| | |
| | |       Merge branches 'ignite-1015' and 'master' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-ignite into ignite-1015
| | |
| * | commit c044bb8278d724336d17fbc2dcd34b0957ac41ec
| | | Author: S.Vladykin <sv...@gridgain.com>
| | | Date:   Wed Jul 22 15:10:29 2015 +0300
| | |
| | |     master - disabled test. fix in ignite-959-z
| | |
* | |   commit 52025271f3db6e764ab62d0483966159d004b42c
|\ \ \  Merge: 301f573 8e1492a
| |/ /  Author: S.Vladykin <sv...@gridgain.com>
| | |   Date:   Wed Jul 22 09:04:55 2015 +0300
| | |
| | |       Merge branch 'master' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-ignite into ignite-1015

- squash the intermediate commits in your own branch, as they are adding no
  value to anyone, but polluting the history and making potential reverts
  nearly impossible.

With these two changes in the process the patch preparation scripts (which I

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Alexey Goncharuk <

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:

> Besides simple diff/patch flow, there are two ways of prep'ing (and
> applying)
> a patch in git: 'git apply' and 'git am' the former won't preserve author's
> name even if it's presented. The latter will.
>
> What we found useful in Bigtop is to also add --signoff option to indicate
> who
> did the review/commit of the patch.

Very good point, I think we should do this too.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrey Gura <ag...@gridgain.com>.
Alexey,

--